WRANGLER
TRAILBLAZER
WELLWADER
PATHFINDER
RIDGERUNNER
WINDCHASER
CLIFFHANGER
Welcome to Brook Haven!
Welcome to Brook Haven Ranch! We are a 18+ premium role playing community set in Trader's Bend, Montana. Our concept is the culmination of twenty years of plotting and planning. We feature a rich, developed program in which many troubled characters thrive. Our community is one of the best on jcink and we look forward to you becoming a part of it!
Healing Horses & Troubled Teens since 1995
Not every teenager has the benefit of growing up in a loving, happy home. Some are victims of abuse, neglect, a system that shuffles them from foster home to foster home. Brook Haven Ranch was established in 1995 as a refuge for abused and neglected horses -- and teenagers who needed a second chance in life and the opportunity to become something more than society expects of them.
Updates
8/25/2017 - Revamp Executed! 11/3/2017 - Holiday Event Launched!

STAFF SEARCH!

Add Reply
New Poll

Concerned, #seth pope
benjamin lyonette
pastor • 36 YRS
ENFJ
Occupation
pastor
Nickname
Ben | Pastor
Pronouns
he/him
Sexual Orientation
homosexual
Status
married
Partner
Nate Curry
Riding Style
Western
Black Diamond
is
Blackie

Breed
Andalusian
Disciplines
trail riding, cutting
Application
is Offline

Pronouns
she/her
Timezone
GMT-5
Contact
pm me! | discord
20 Posts
255 Points
Trailblazer
counselor
9/14/2017 for @seth pope
TW: child abuse, child abuse suspicion
Sitting at his desk, he continued to go through his files. Some of them pertained to the church, others Brook Haven. He was expecting Seth Pope to walk through his doors any moment. Ben had called his parents earlier in the week to request a meeting with him, alone. In theory, there were lots of things to talk about, but most of them weren't what he'd called Seth into his office for. He didn't want to talk to him about the pregnancy. Nor was this about the fact that he'd hit his daughter last year in school. It had to do with how Seth was feeling at home. Something Sym had said to him back in June had caused him some worry. Despite everything, she worried about him. This alone wouldn't have been all that confusing. It was something about the way that she said it that made him question what he knew about the Popes, or what went on at home. And so, he'd started doing a bit of careful digging himself. He paid more attention than he had before to the dynamic, and the face they presented to the church. He'd even had a few probing conversations with Adam, Seth's older brother. There were some rumors, but they were quiet. Not enough to make an accusation on alone, especially not with his position in the church. Ben had caught Robin's attempts to gain Seth's attention. The way that she pinched her son wasn't appropriate. However, when any talk of discipline came up in a group or personal setting, she behave like she couldn't relate. Or on the rare occasion she spoke to him about it as her pastor, it was always on Seth and the way that he wouldn't look at her. "She didn't know how to get control." The whole thing worried Ben, it worried him that there was something going on that Seth was scared to speak about. Ben wasn't certified as a therapist, but he'd done enough observing of Seth and his parents to pick up on the fact that something was wrong. No one had admitted to any sort of disorders, but given some of Seth's history, it wouldn't surprise him. What concerned Ben was that if it was a disorder, what his parents were doing couldn't be helping. Not Joel's belief in harsh corporal punishment, which he'd spoken of on more than one occasion. And certainly not Robin's tendency to pinch or poke when she didn't like something he did. It was a culmination of a bunch of little things, all of which Ben had been diligent in documenting. Now, he needed Seth's take on it. Pulling out the file he'd been working on for the young man, he opened it pulled out a pen, then glanced up at the clock. It was three to four, and he'd requested that he be there for a four o'clock meeting. His reason for the meeting had been vague, saying that he was meeting with quite a few of the church youths. Next thing he knew, he heard footstep. He glanced over at the door and smiled. "Hey, Seth. Go ahead and shut the door." With one hand on each arm of his chair, he stood and then extended his hand over the desk. "Thanks for meeting with me. Would you like to take a seat?"
seth pope
Student • 17 YRS
ESFP
Occupation
Student
Nickname
Seth
Pronouns
he/him/his
Sexual Orientation
heterosexual
Status
single
Partner
n/a
Riding Style
Western
---
is
---

Breed
---
Disciplines
---
Application
is Offline

Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Timezone
GMT-5
Contact
PM for Discord
8 Posts
175 Points
Trader's Bend
Local
14 September, 2017for @benjamin lyonette
TW: abuse references
One thing was for sure: When Mom told him to do something, Seth did it. All the trouble he caused at school, the bullying, the name calling, the push and pull with the teachers, he didn't dare disrespect his mama. Most of the time Seth didn't know what he'd done wrong. Action had consequences, but it was impossible for him to connect one to the other. Nobody had explained it to him, but he knew that things weren't supposed to be this way. It had been a rough week, and his jeans felt too tight. The trip over in the car had been torturous, but he hadn't let on. Mom didn't know about how Dad lay down the law, and he wanted to keep it that way. It was like being sent to the principal's office, only this was his pastor. Mom had groomed him on the way over, checked his hair, adjusted his tie. She'd tutted a few times, fussed and made a big deal about him. He'd stammered and struggled and finally decided that this was some kind of a job interview. That, or they were going to decide how he was to take care of his baby. No, more likely how I'm not going to take care of my baby. He'd not had a lot of time to think about how he wanted to proceed with that. His mother had made it clear that they would not be contributing to the child support and that if any were to be declared, he'd need to find a job. Most likely that was what this was about. Seth shivered in spite of the heat and let himself out of the car. He hesitated, then locked it. Church life hadn't been so good lately. Some people liked Sym and hated him for having hit her. Others hated him for having gotten her pregnant. Some just thought of both of them as unholy beings for having done the deed outside of the confines of marriage. Alright, so maybe not the Fruit of the Vine congregation. Still, he felt like he ought to watch his back. His feet dragged on his way into the church, and then back to the office that Pastor Ben occupied. He hesitated, then entered and obeyed, closing the door behind him. At least that way he didn't have to look the Pastor in the eye. He's my child's grandfather. It was hard to imagine. "I'd rather stand." Things had been rough at home. Sometimes he didn't know what he'd done wrong. No, most times he didn't know what he'd done wrong. Dad had been harder on him than usual, as though one more beating would make him more likely to shape up and fly right. It hadn't worked in all the years he'd been doing it, and the beatings had started the year that he and Adam had been adopted. Whatever was wrong with him, most of the time it felt like Seth couldn't behave.
benjamin lyonette
pastor • 36 YRS
ENFJ
Occupation
pastor
Nickname
Ben | Pastor
Pronouns
he/him
Sexual Orientation
homosexual
Status
married
Partner
Nate Curry
Riding Style
Western
Black Diamond
is
Blackie

Breed
Andalusian
Disciplines
trail riding, cutting
Application
is Offline

Pronouns
she/her
Timezone
GMT-5
Contact
pm me! | discord
20 Posts
255 Points
Trailblazer
counselor
9/14/2017 for @seth pope
Hand extended, Ben waited a moment. When it became clear that Seth didn't know or recognize what it was that he was doing he dropped it to his side. With another young person, he might have insisted, but these were the types of cues that Seth missed. He didn't need Ben coming down on him too. After all, he wanted Seth to feel as comfortable as possible (all things considering) coming to him. While he'd always be Sym's dad first and foremost, he was also Seth's pastor. Sometimes that would put them in an awkward situation. Thankfully, this meeting wasn't about Sym, or the child she was carrying; it was about Seth and life at home. His words were enough to make Ben's point. "That bad?" There were times, in Ben's opinion, that corporal punishment was appropriate. A necessary evil, if you would. He didn't use it with his girls often, especially not since they became older. Even so, there were certain situations in which he could imagine using it as a tool, even at their current ages. With Joel it seemed different. If Ben hadn't been aware of how often Seth seemed to find it difficult to sit, he might think that Joel was blowing smoke. It would have made sense for him to try to look good to the other parents. To talk about how he'd discipline a child in that situation if it were him. The problem was, spanking didn't work for everything. Not every transgression needed those sorts of consequences. There were some children it didn't work with. The key with parenting, in Ben's opinion, was to recognize what worked and what didn't, then adjust. Lips pressed, he took a seat in his own chair. He didn't want to intimidate Seth by standing over him or crowding his space. He's got to be nervous. What kid wouldn't be? Especially given his situation. A lot of teenagers that came to him for a meeting walked in nervous, even those that were usually comfortable with him. One of them had once explained it as being similar as getting called to the principals office. Even if you got along well with them, it still made a person wonder what they'd done. "I'm sure you've got to be wondering why I called you here? It's not about Sym or the baby." The real tricky part was explaining what the meeting was about. Because it also wasn't a social call. Hand on the edge of his desk, he pushed the chair back to make room to stretch, then crossed his legs. With his right ankle laid across his left knee, he leaned back and looked at the teenager. He didn't expect him to look him in the eye, and didn't want him to feel like he had to; that had been something Ben noticed he struggled with. "I want to talk about life at home. Is everything okay? You feel safe? I'm sure it's difficult with two very different parents. A dad who believes in corporal punishment exclusively and a mom who seems to get beside herself with anxiety has got to be a lot to juggle." Ben didn't expect Seth to be honest, but he wanted to give him an opportunity to open up.
seth pope
Student • 17 YRS
ESFP
Occupation
Student
Nickname
Seth
Pronouns
he/him/his
Sexual Orientation
heterosexual
Status
single
Partner
n/a
Riding Style
Western
---
is
---

Breed
---
Disciplines
---
Application
is Offline

Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Timezone
GMT-5
Contact
PM for Discord
8 Posts
175 Points
Trader's Bend
Local
14 September, 2017 for @benjamin lyonette
It was the wrong question. Seth's eyes narrowed and he huffed a breath in through his nose. He risked a quick glance at Pastor Lyonette, but his face gave away nothing. Social workers didn't want to hear from an adopted kid that there was something wrong at home. The two times that he'd tried to point out that he wasn't happy, his concerns had been brushed under the rug. The system, after all, was meant to be infallible. Kids got taken from bad families and put into families that were supposed to nurture them and give them everything their first parents hadn't. Social workers knew what they were doing. They would never place a child into an abusive home. If the home turned out to be abusive, they simply denied that it was. Dad had himself convinced that what he did was discipline. It was necessary, or so he said, for him to use a heavy hand with Seth. This way he could ensure that Seth knew how to behave himself, how to treat his mother. Mom, on the other hand, wanted to control him. She had to pinch him and push him and direct him to do different things. If she didn't, then he would behave in socially unacceptable ways. "Look at Mr. Peterson when you talk to him, Seth!" Then she'd pinch the soft flesh at the back of his arm until he complied. Was looking people in the eye really part of normal social behavior? It was hard for him. Was it not hard for other people? He stared at a spot on Pastor Lyonette's desk and then slowly lowered himself into the offered chair. Seth caught his breath, wincing and hissing as he placed the considerable weight of his body on the aching part of his backside. "No. I'm fine." That was what he was supposed to say. Mom had made that clear to him. If he said that he wasn't okay, that wasn't social behavior. He had to be social, had to smile, and had to make them look good. They had to give the appearance that they were capable of raising a well-mannered child. They'd done well with Adam. Why did they need him at all? He wasn't perfect. Nothing he did would ever be perfect. How did their reputation ride on him? Some parents felt that way. Maybe in a few years he would, too. One thing was for sure: He never planned to pinch his son, or use a belt to make him behave. It could wind up being a daughter, too, and that would be even worse. He'd thought about it, even when he didn't mean to. A baby was going to come into the world and he was that baby's father. Truth was he wasn't doing so well at home. His parents were furious about Sym's pregnancy, and they both had opinions about what he was supposed to do about it. Seth took a deep breath. "I want my baby." It was the first time he'd said the words out loud, and it hit him a second later that he should have spoken them to Symphony. "I want to be part of his life. I want to be his dad."
benjamin lyonette
pastor • 36 YRS
ENFJ
Occupation
pastor
Nickname
Ben | Pastor
Pronouns
he/him
Sexual Orientation
homosexual
Status
married
Partner
Nate Curry
Riding Style
Western
Black Diamond
is
Blackie

Breed
Andalusian
Disciplines
trail riding, cutting
Application
is Offline

Pronouns
she/her
Timezone
GMT-5
Contact
pm me! | discord
20 Posts
255 Points
Trailblazer
counselor
9/14/2017 for @seth pope
What happened with the baby was Sym's call. Ben didn't want to be the sort of a father who made his daughter do one thing or another, even if he had strong opinions. He wasn't going to send her off to some home for unwed mothers, nor would he sign off on an abortion. It all left them with only a couple options: keeping the baby or adoption. And it was a decision those two would need to make together. Never thought I'd be here. Telling a couple kids in my life that they had some very grown up decisions to make together. But that's not why we're here. At the end of the day, this was precisely what Ben hadn't called Seth to his office to talk to him about. He wasn't worried about what Seth would or wouldn't do for the baby; Ben was worried about Seth. He was tired of tip toeing around and acting like there wasn't anything wrong too. As much as he didn't like going behind two members of his congregation's back, he already knew they wouldn't be straight with him because he'd tried taking it straight to them. Neither Robin or Joel were often separated near him and either of them would speak for the other when they felt the need. It was a frustrating situation. Sitting, he looked to Seth, then sighed. "You'll have to talk to Sym about that. I called you in here for something else, Seth. I want to talk about home life. How do you feel there? Safe? Happy?" He didn't know what the teenager would tell him, but he held his tongue when he thought of the last word, which was intimidated. Whatever Seth said needed to be in his own words. "Whatever you feel is okay. You can talk to me. All I want to do is help, and I promise I don't report to your parents. Problem was that he already had once. When he'd found out about Sym being pregnant, Ben had gone to Seth's parents and told them what had happened. He'd been furious. And as much as Sym might have thought that he hadn't been thinking as her father, the problem was that he had. This time, Ben was asking as Seth's pastor, not as his baby's grandfather -- it was important.

seth pope
Student • 17 YRS
ESFP
Occupation
Student
Nickname
Seth
Pronouns
he/him/his
Sexual Orientation
heterosexual
Status
single
Partner
n/a
Riding Style
Western
---
is
---

Breed
---
Disciplines
---
Application
is Offline

Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Timezone
GMT-5
Contact
PM for Discord
8 Posts
175 Points
Trader's Bend
Local
14 September, 2017 for @benjamin lyonette
Seth twitched and scrubbed his right hand up and down his left arm, irritated. "Is this what you called me in here to talk about?" It seemed like if Pastor was going to tell him to talk to Symphony about it, that he ought to have just arranged for him to talk to Sym. But I don't want to have to. I'm tired of looking at all the ways that I've messed up, and Mom wants her to give the baby up for adoption. Someone had once told him that adoption was hereditary. An adopted person was more likely than a non-adopted person to wind up giving a child up for adoption. It was hard to know for sure, but this wasn't really his choice, was it? It was Sym's, even if he wanted to be part of it, part of her life, part of the baby's life. He'd been foolish. She'd never want him now. Wasn't that just how it went? People didn't want him, and he didn't want to be wanted. That's what he told himself when he had to comfort himself. It didn't matter. Seth had done his research. As long as he was on the birth certificate, he had a legal right to his child. If he did a paternity test, he could make sure he was on the birth certificate, couldn't he? The big problem was going to be if Symphony put the baby up for adoption. That's what his parents wanted her to do. He didn't put it past them to pressure her, either. The conversation turned, and Seth's shoulders stiffened. This had to be the real reason that they were here. He wants to know whether I'll tell him what it's like at home so that he can report back to them. That's what they all do. Any time, when he was small, that he had spoken up to social workers or advocates, his mother and father had found out. Adoptive parents are perfect parents, and they can do no wrong. He'd become convinced of it. No matter what happened to him, it was what he deserved. "Safe" had nothing to do with it. What was "safe" anyway? Seth stared at a stain on the carpet and shrugged his shoulders. Mom would say that was rude, but how was he supposed to answer without lying? To the pastor? "I'm seventeen. I'm not supposed to be happy at home." Deflection was the best that he had. The statement was at least partially true, and it of course alluded to the fact that he wasn't happy at home. But then what teenager was? Most of the time he felt like anybody else dealing with the same things that he was. Didn't everybody have parents who were too hard on them sometimes? Only his were too hard on him all the time and the truth was that he wasn't sure that he felt safe. He wanted out. Every day he wanted to leave, but he couldn't. Seth leaned forward over his own hands and pressed them together, then rubbed them. "I never been happy." Looking back as far as his mind would take him, he'd never seen what "happy" looked like. Not his biological mother's home, nor his adoptive parents' home were happy. It was easy enough to shrug it off because that was how it was meant to be. "It's my fault though," he said finally without looking up. "I fu-mess everything up."
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Affiliates
Resources & Directories
RPG-D
Sister Sites
Static
Scrolling
Skin coded by Devin exclusively for Brook Haven Ranch.