WRANGLER
TRAILBLAZER
WELLWADER
PATHFINDER
RIDGERUNNER
WINDCHASER
CLIFFHANGER
Welcome to Brook Haven!
Welcome to Brook Haven Ranch! We are a 18+ premium role playing community set in Trader's Bend, Montana. Our concept is the culmination of twenty years of plotting and planning. We feature a rich, developed program in which many troubled characters thrive. Our community is one of the best on jcink and we look forward to you becoming a part of it!
Healing Horses & Troubled Teens since 1995
Not every teenager has the benefit of growing up in a loving, happy home. Some are victims of abuse, neglect, a system that shuffles them from foster home to foster home. Brook Haven Ranch was established in 1995 as a refuge for abused and neglected horses -- and teenagers who needed a second chance in life and the opportunity to become something more than society expects of them.
Updates
8/25/2017 - Revamp Executed! 11/3/2017 - Holiday Event Launched!

STAFF SEARCH!

Add Reply
New Poll

Behind the Scenes, @g. moybray
hyung daesung
Student • 17 YRS
ENTJ
Occupation
Student
Nickname
Davey
Pronouns
he/him/his
Sexual Orientation
pansexual
Status
single
Partner
none
Riding Style
English
Connie
is
Jumping to Conclusions

Breed
Saddlebred
Disciplines
Eventing
Application
is Offline

Pronouns
she/her/hers
Timezone
GMT-5
Contact
PM for Discord
30 Posts
295 Points
Wrangler
Mustang
28 October, 2017 for @g. moybray
TW: scary things, child abandonment, references to negative adoption experience, transracial adoption (both characters in this thread)
Like most of the students on the ranch, Daesung had been looking forward to the Halloween events. Mostly he'd heard things about Halloween. His Korean parents had never celebrated the occasion, and his adoptive (American) parents had poo pooed the idea. Daesung wasn't sure whether it was because he and Leesam were too old for the festivities or if it was because they didn't believe in celebrating a dark holiday. Either way, this month's festivities were new to him. He'd been to all of them, soaking up as much about this American cultural phenomenon as he was able to do. The harvest festival had been boring for the most part. There wasn't much to do, and he had decided it was for younger kids. Maybe Leesam would have loved it, but Daesung found the entire event dry, tasteless. No, more like lacking in flavor. I wasn't offended by it, if that's what 'tasteless' means. The masque had been alright, but not his cup of tea. The real fun had begun with the Haunted Carnival, though Daesung suspected that he didn't enjoy it for the reasons it was intended. He'd enjoyed it because he was interested in the rides. None of the monsters had terrified him. Daesung had thrown himself into the Haunted Nights. This would be different. Since the props and the monsters didn't terrify him, he would get in there behind the scenes. They could do with having a rigger to work on things anyway, and I know how to scare other people. I think. Nobody had said that he was terrifying, but a lot of the other students made fun of him. It wasn't the same thing by any stretch of the imagination, but it was worth it for him to experiment a bit with what he could do. Experimenting was the most fun Daesung ever had, and if he could bring some pleasure to other lives by doing it, he would. He'd worked throughout the week on several separate projects, but he only had permission for one. It was the third (one of the unauthorized projects) that he had set up in one of the barns. It would drop a dancing skeleton in front of an unsuspecting person. This barn was rigged for a younger crowd, less terrifying than some of the monsters he'd seen the previous week. I don't understand why people want to be that scared, but I also don't understand why they find that so frightening. It didn't bother me at all. These are mostly silly props. The only reason I'm enjoying this is because I can work on the engineering. He'd made the skeleton from scratch, molded the bones and articulated them, too. It looked realistic. That's what he wanted. It was what he had been going for. The rigging had been the most fun. The skeleton would be cued when someone walked past its hiding place. It would drop and jitter, "dancing" about in front of its victim. I could do better, but this will do the trick for this thing. The kids will get a kick out of it. He'd tested it four times. The skeleton was ready to go. He gathered the pieces, the rigging, and started for the barns in broad daylight. The event wouldn't start until four o'clock that evening. There was time left to get the job done. Daesung moved quickly, with determination. He'd have this thing ready to go and scare the kids in the youth barn. He pushed the door to the proper barn open. The skeleton went clattering out of his hands, molded bones skittered across the floor. Someone had been standing behind the door! Bones flew everywhere, and Daesung cursed under his breath. "Crap! Can you help me pick these up, please?"
g. moybray
Student • 17 YRS
ESTJ
Occupation
Student
Nickname
Grace, Gray, Grayson
Pronouns
Depends, she/her, he/him, they/them
Sexual Orientation
Demisexual
Status
Single
Partner
N/a
Riding Style
English
G. was raised to be the perfect daughter, and when they came out as genderfluid, their parents were disappointed, and often used the wrong pronouns. An excellent field hockey player, G. felt pressure from their mother to lose weight, and eventually developed anorexia nervosa.
Barrel
is
A Barrel of Poppies and Roses

Breed
Morgan Horse
Disciplines
Dressage
Application
is Offline

Pronouns
Ze/zher
Timezone
GMT-8
Contact
Discord
42 Posts
310 Points
Wellwader
Mustang
28/October/2017 for @hyung daesung
TW: self food moderation, eating disorder(anorexia nervosa),
(Currently, G. is expressing as neither gender, and would prefer Gray, and they/them pronouns) Gray had no idea what to expect from Halloween at the ranch. They didn't usually celebrate it, beyond the occasional party, and hadn't since they were around twelve, or maybe thirteen. However, since they hadn't experienced it much, they were excited to be around. Except for the whole candy thing, and they weren't sure how they were going to deal with that, and they'd settled to just ignore any offered to them. Maybe a polite declination or two, but definitely didn't want to touch any. Raisins were okay, Gray decided, as long as they didn't eat them all at once. Maybe one every five minutes. They'd gained a few pounds, although they tried to forget how many. Even if it was a part of recovery, they still couldn't stand being anywhere near their definition of 'overweight' At the family fun fest, they felt a little bored. The thing that they did like was the face painting, for some reason, they quite enjoyed being made to look like a rabbit. Maybe it was because it was a newer experience? They didn't quite like the petting zoo, though. They were still a little scared of some animals, even though they lived on a ranch. The masquerade, they expected to go a little better. They loved formal events, but they hated that they had to choose something to wear off a list. They'd decided to wear a tux, though they were having mixed feelings about it now that the whole event was over. They had decided that it would be best to stay away from the dark carnival, as they had never liked scary things to begin with, and thinking that they would be on the ranch would be a bit much for them. But on the Haunted Nights, they decided to be a bit braver, maybe check out a few things around the ranch. After all, everything was machines and people in costumes, right? A barn seemed like a good place to be right before. The thing hadn't started yet, right? They quite liked the ones that didn't have any horses in them, especially the ones that were classrooms. Classrooms were old comfort, things from home. They felt much more secure and smart in a classroom. It was somewhere where they felt they had control. They popped a raisin in their mouth. They still had a few, having portioned what they had over the week. They didn't think anything of it. If anything, the ranch should be happy that I'm having a little extra food. They thought, making their way carefully over to the barn, watching out for things that might jump out. One could never be too careful. A scream popped out of Gray's mouth before they could stop it, higher pitched than they would have liked. "Sorry!" They apologized quickly, moving to help pick it up. "I hope I didn't ruin anything"
hyung daesung
Student • 17 YRS
ENTJ
Occupation
Student
Nickname
Davey
Pronouns
he/him/his
Sexual Orientation
pansexual
Status
single
Partner
none
Riding Style
English
Connie
is
Jumping to Conclusions

Breed
Saddlebred
Disciplines
Eventing
Application
is Offline

Pronouns
she/her/hers
Timezone
GMT-5
Contact
PM for Discord
30 Posts
295 Points
Wrangler
Mustang
TW: scary things, child abandonment, references to negative adoption experience, transracial adoption (both characters in this thread)
The shriek startled Daesung, and he jerked back as though stung. The person it had come from was an uncanny mixture of average height and spindly, yet the pitch of their voice seemed to conflict. It took a moment, but a small smirk crept to Daesung's mouth. "That's what I hope they all do when it's installed." He could imagine the children -- the younger ones, not teenagers like him (After all, I'm not a child any more, am I?) coming through the haunted barns and screaming when his skeleton jangled itself in front of them. Staff could have purchased the thing at any Halloween themed store in Montana, but he was proud of himself for having made it. Robots would have been cooler, but he hadn't had time. Besides, the props aren't supposed to touch the guests. I'd have to make the robots touch to be scary. He crouched to pick up the pieces of his skeleton. Whatever had broken off could be re-articulated easily enough. He gathered up the bits of the skeleton, testing for points where something might have come undone. It was meant to come apart and go back together. I should have thought of that. Brought it in pieces and then assembled it on site. That might have worked out a bit better. Less likely to break. Hindsight, of course, was 20/20, but it might have saved him time. Daesung closed his eyes for a moment, chastising himself for the mistake, and then straightened, arching his back as he stood up with the pieces of his prop in his hands. "It's not a big deal. I made it so that if it got knocked I could put it back together. I'm the engineer." He gave them a cocky grin and extended his hand in greeting. "Daesung, but you can call me Davey. That's what all the English do." Of course he meant English-speakers, but sometimes he cut words he didn't see as necessary. No doubt they'd understand what he meant (at least in his mind). Daesung gestured toward the door of the barn. "You want to help me get these set up for tonight?" He didn't make friends easily, and when confronted with a potential companion, his instinct was to draw them in to his plans. That was the best way to connect to other people, in his opinion. Unfortunately, there was no experience to back that opinion up. It was possible to count on one hand the number of times that someone had joined him in his experiments or endeavors. Maybe even one finger. No, he wasn't a popular kid. It boggled his mind. He had a lot of fun, built cool things, and made things that flew, but other kids didn't seem interested in participating in the making. They only want the results of what I make, not to make them with me. It doesn't make any sense. Half the fun is putting it together. Maybe even most of the fun. One day he would go on to build things that other people would use and love, toys and machines that made the world go 'round. Today, though? Today he was a seventeen year old kid who needed friends but couldn't figure out how to connect with other people. Daesung turned to open the door again, this time making sure that it was clear before he attempted to walk through it. He held it back so that Gray could go in ahead of him, balancing the skeleton in his arms and using his foot to keep the door from closing. Wait, no. They were coming out, weren't they? He cursed himself inwardly and shuffled until his hip held the door open, then moved sideways into the barn without closing the door. "You were leaving, weren't you? Maybe you've got something else to do." Still, he lingered. This was a rare opportunity for Daesung to connect with another person.
g. moybray
Student • 17 YRS
ESTJ
Occupation
Student
Nickname
Grace, Gray, Grayson
Pronouns
Depends, she/her, he/him, they/them
Sexual Orientation
Demisexual
Status
Single
Partner
N/a
Riding Style
English
G. was raised to be the perfect daughter, and when they came out as genderfluid, their parents were disappointed, and often used the wrong pronouns. An excellent field hockey player, G. felt pressure from their mother to lose weight, and eventually developed anorexia nervosa.
Barrel
is
A Barrel of Poppies and Roses

Breed
Morgan Horse
Disciplines
Dressage
Application
is Offline

Pronouns
Ze/zher
Timezone
GMT-8
Contact
Discord
42 Posts
310 Points
Wellwader
Mustang
28/October/2017 for @hyung daesung
TW: fear, emotional concealment
Halloween was officially beyond Gray. Why anybody would want to be scared was past them. "Scare people?" They said. It seemed like a skeleton could definitely do that. It wouldn't even have to be able to jump out at Gray, it could just be there, and they'd be unnerved. They didn't really like skeletons all that much. "It definitely scared me, obviously. And probably will scare any younger kids as well." they picked up a piece and handed it to the person. At least there was a person, and it wasn't a creepy magic skeleton. That would be pretty weird. "That's good. If it's scaring people, high chance of people smacking it. Me, for example." Gray looked the person up and down. "Nice to meet you, Daesung. Davey? Is Davey what you prefer?" They shook his hand, "I'm Gray." Davey had said the English. Was that like the British English or just English speakers? It didn't matter much to Gray, but it was something they thought about at the other student introduced himself. And why did it matter what others called you if you thought it was right? Gray shook it off, and decided to think about his offer. Setting things up? "Sounds good, I'd love to help" Gray said, "And I'm probably not leaving. Unless more of those things are going to jump out at me." At least this way, they would know what sort of spooks and scares were coming at them, as opposed to going in without knowing anything. And besides, they had screwed up his little skeleton thingy. The least they could do was help out with the rest of it. And who knows? It might even turn out to be something they liked doing, or at least a way to learn a new skill. Maybe they would even have fun, a rare occurrence. Anyway, if things didn't go the way they liked, they could just say that they were done, or too scared. No biggie. Davey seemed smart enough that he might not even need Gray's help, if he had already set up a pretty terrifying jumpy skeleton. "So, what should I start on? Do you want me to, um, mess around with some circuits or something?" They weren't too clear on exactly what made most technological things go. Wires? Batteries? They looked around, maybe for clues, something that made sense to them. Technology, wasn't their thing. They didn't think they actually had a thing, at least not now. Their thing could be not dying, because apparently field hockey was too much exercise, something that could have made them lash out, if they had not been taught to keep all emotion behind a smile. "Are you sure you want me to help? I think I'd be more of a hindrance to you, as you'd have to explain stuff." Even though they did want to help out, they thought that this might be important to Davey, if he had put all the work into setting this stuff up, and they certainly didn't want to ruin anything by accident. They would feel absolutely awful if they did, and then it would be awkward every time they saw Davey.
hyung daesung
Student • 17 YRS
ENTJ
Occupation
Student
Nickname
Davey
Pronouns
he/him/his
Sexual Orientation
pansexual
Status
single
Partner
none
Riding Style
English
Connie
is
Jumping to Conclusions

Breed
Saddlebred
Disciplines
Eventing
Application
is Offline

Pronouns
she/her/hers
Timezone
GMT-5
Contact
PM for Discord
30 Posts
295 Points
Wrangler
Mustang
Only recently had Jason pointed out to Daesung that if he didn't want to be called Davey, he didn't have to introduce himself that way. His cheeks warmed and he shifted his weight from one foot to the other as he stepped through the door after Gray. It's difficult to explain to people why some people call me Daesung and other people call me Davey. Only nobody here really calls me Davey if they have any respect for me at all. That was one of the big problems. That jerk, the one he'd had the Spanish assignment with, had pointed it out to him. He ought to stop introducing himself by his English name if he didn't want people to use it. He moved the skeleton from one hand to the other as he weighed the pros and cons of saying something on the subject. How many of his introductions to other people were distressed by this same problem. "No. I prefer Daesung." He smiled, showing teeth. Most of the girls seemed to like it when he showed his teeth. He wasn't sure exactly why, and it didn't seem to have the same effect on, well, non-girls. He thought he could remember Ms. Bergens telling him to "smile more" when he first came to the ranch, but there had been too much information at the time and it all ran together. Adults didn't seem to like it when he smiled. No, they seemed to think he was weird. They've always thought that I was weird, though. That's nothing new. Even in Korea. Even with Korean parents. They didn't want me and Leesam either. A shiver went down his spine. He'd worked hard, but it had been a tough road since he came to Brook Haven, and Daesung had started to question if he'd made the right choice by requesting it. He cast a sideways glance at Gray and took a left through the dividers that broke the large barn space down into "exhibits." His mind bounced from thought to thought, observing the different areas and, frequently, wishing he'd come up with this or that idea. Sometimes I wish I was more creative and less mathematical. Some of these are really good. Scary, too. Daesung shivered. He didn't like to be scared, not the way that some people did. This was the most that he was willing to do to be involved in this event, and he couldn't wait until the next month. Then it was Thanksgiving (an American holiday he'd discovered he loved even if he wasn't sure what he had to be thankful for) and then Christmas. Christmas had long been one of his favorite times of year, and he could already picture the lights and music of home. For a moment, he stopped, his mind locked on the topic. A shiver went down his spine. He'd been raised Mormon, reciting from the Bible and the Book of Mormon every year, but that was somehow different now. What he looked forward to was the feasting and the singing and the lights and decorations. He had to bite down on his lower lip to prevent his eyes from tearing up. How he missed Korea sometimes! Not that America had been that different. South Korea and the United States had a lot of things in common, and he'd clung to that. The people were similar, the traditions were similar, and he'd been raised Christian so even if he got questions about Buddhism, he was quickly accepted into the fold. As long as I don't mention that it's Latter-Day Saints, anyway. He picked up again, took the right turn to where his skeleton belonged -- right in the middle of the path that people would have to walk through -- and then tipped his head back to stare up at the ceiling. "No. I like explaining." Daesung turned his head to look at them, curious for a moment, and then shrugged his shoulders. "As long as you want to learn." Most people seemed to find him boring in short order, and turned away before he could finish anything interesting. Well, interesting to him anyway.
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Affiliates
Resources & Directories
RPG-D
Sister Sites
Static
Scrolling
Skin coded by Devin exclusively for Brook Haven Ranch.