WRANGLER
TRAILBLAZER
WELLWADER
PATHFINDER
RIDGERUNNER
WINDCHASER
CLIFFHANGER
Welcome to Brook Haven!
Welcome to Brook Haven Ranch! We are a 18+ premium role playing community set in Trader's Bend, Montana. Our concept is the culmination of twenty years of plotting and planning. We feature a rich, developed program in which many troubled characters thrive. Our community is one of the best on jcink and we look forward to you becoming a part of it!
Healing Horses & Troubled Teens since 1995
Not every teenager has the benefit of growing up in a loving, happy home. Some are victims of abuse, neglect, a system that shuffles them from foster home to foster home. Brook Haven Ranch was established in 1995 as a refuge for abused and neglected horses -- and teenagers who needed a second chance in life and the opportunity to become something more than society expects of them.
Updates
8/25/2017 - Revamp Executed! 11/3/2017 - Holiday Event Launched!

STAFF SEARCH!

Forum Rules Tag Your Triggers!

Remember to Tag Your Triggers!
People and events in threads are entirely fictional.

Add Reply
New Poll

Things that go bump in the morning
nick fisher
Student • 16 YRS
ENTP
Occupation
Student
Nickname
Nick
Pronouns
He/him/his
Sexual Orientation
Pansexual
Status
Single
Partner
Riding Style
Western
When people look at Nick, they tend to see a big dumb bully. For all most people experience of him, they might as well be right. At heart, Nick is a smart, sensitive kid who’s learned to act tough because it keeps him safe, but that’s buried deep enough that plenty of people will never encounter that side of him.
Eater
is
Peter the Pumpkin Eater

Breed
American Quarter Horse
Disciplines
Pole Bending
Application
Ben
is Offline

Pronouns
He/him/his
Timezone
GMT-5
Contact
PM
126 Posts
665 Points
Wellwader
Mustang
Sep 11 for @william jenkins
TW: bullying, ableism
For once, the morning had gone well, and Nick was feeling good. Ebullient, even. The Wellwaders were on breakfast duty, and Nick had gotten charge of the big spatula - the peel, he'd learned - and had spent the morning pulling each pizza out at just the right moment, when the sides were getting crispy but the bottom wasn't quite burnt. It was the part of cooking he liked, especially when everything just worked. So, by the time he got to English - a few minutes early, even - Nick was basically strutting. On days like today, he felt like the king of Brook Haven: a popular leader, showering smiles and properly cooked pizza on the other teens. In fact, he was so busy thinking about what a great morning it was that he didn't watch where he was going and ran into a wheelchair where he'd expected a desk to be, bumping his knee. With a start, he glowered at the chair, glancing only briefly at the boy in it. He'd seen the kid around, of course - at a program which focused on physical chores, it was hard to miss that someone was in a wheelchair - but had never paid him much attention before. Even now, Nick was ignoring the boy, glaring just at the chair as if it had personally offended him - and given his throbbing knee, in a way it had. He walked slowly around the chair, still glaring at it like he expected the chair itself to apologize. Finally, when he was almost around the chair, he actually acknowledged the person sitting in it, looking up at him and saying, "How's that work here, anyway? Do you get pulled around by your horse like you're in a chariot, or what?" Nick wasn't smiling, though his tone was mild; he hadn't decided yet if he was making a joke with the other boy, or about him.
Metagamed and power played with Ben's permission, always! Thank you Ben!
william jenkins
Student • 16 YRS
ISTP
Occupation
Student
Nickname
Will, Billy
Pronouns
he/him
Sexual Orientation
heterosexual
Status
single
Partner
none
Riding Style
English
Polly
is
Pollyana

Breed
Irish Sport
Disciplines
Hunter/Jumper
Application
is Offline

Pronouns
she/her
Timezone
GMT-5
Contact
PM for Discord
59 Posts
600 Points
Tenderfoot
Mustang
11 September, 2017 for @nick fisher
TW: bullying, bad foster care experiences, attempted murder, narrative threats of murder
The day had started by running late. It happened every now and again. Will had to battle gravity and obstacles that included things like doors. Other students found the concept simple enough: Turn the knob, open, pass through. In his case, he had to brake the chair, stand up on his right leg, open the door, find a way to prop it, sit down, unbrake, and hope that it didn't swing shut again. He'd been late for breakfast. So late, in fact, that the mess was no longer serving. This left him to prepare his own, scrambling about the kitchen. Since the kitchen wasn't build to accommodate his chair, he had to do it on foot, balancing on the counters and using them as a crutch. Days like today he was grateful he hadn't been paralyzed. Some days he wasn't sure which was worse: A leg that ought to work but didn't, or partial paralysis. One day he'd regret those thoughts, but today was not that day. By the time he'd managed to toast himself two slices of bread, the bell had run for morning chores. He'd eaten on the go, a fraction of his normal portions. Will wasn't a huge guy by any stretch of the imagination. Really, he was average. But he could pack in a lot of food. For somebody who sat down all the time, he burned a lot of calories. People underestimated the upper body strength it took to move the chair, and they didn't think about how he spent his free time. Most days he spent it doing chin-ups at a bar at the obstacle course. Since he did it alone, people didn't notice. Their loss. He defied most of the boys to prove themselves stronger than him. He'd gotten stuck during chores, his wheel caught in a rut so that Flynn and Kate had to lift him out of the hole. That had been embarrassing. Of course he'd offered to stand up so they could grab the chair without him in it, but they had insisted. It was hard to decide which would have been more embarrassing, falling on his face, or being lifted the way that they had. By the time he'd made it to chores, somebody else had done his, and earned privilege points for it. Great, that was fun. The staff hardly recognized his efforts. What they wanted most was for him to get out of the chair. What did privilege points matter, anyway? What he really wanted was his brother. At least he'd made it to class on time. His mouth already watered with the promise of snack. He'd grab three times the normal portion and still wind up hungry before lunch. Oh well. At least he'd have something on his belly. Will was lost in the food fantasy when somebody bumped into the back of his chair, jolting him forward. He braced on the desk and pushed back against the obstruction, mindless of who might be standing there. Then he heard the voice. Great. Nick fucking Fisher. His jaw clenched, but he didn't deign to answer the bully who plagued the entire ranch. Isn't that what they taught you to do with bullies? Ignore them? Not that it had gone well with his foster father. He'd pushed Will and Noah around until they'd snapped. Maybe Nick would wind up meeting the fate that their foster father hadn't.
nick fisher
Student • 16 YRS
ENTP
Occupation
Student
Nickname
Nick
Pronouns
He/him/his
Sexual Orientation
Pansexual
Status
Single
Partner
Riding Style
Western
When people look at Nick, they tend to see a big dumb bully. For all most people experience of him, they might as well be right. At heart, Nick is a smart, sensitive kid who’s learned to act tough because it keeps him safe, but that’s buried deep enough that plenty of people will never encounter that side of him.
Eater
is
Peter the Pumpkin Eater

Breed
American Quarter Horse
Disciplines
Pole Bending
Application
Ben
is Offline

Pronouns
He/him/his
Timezone
GMT-5
Contact
PM
126 Posts
665 Points
Wellwader
Mustang
The kid must have heard him. First of all, if Nick's knee hurt this much, he couldn't have missed the bump when Nick ran into the wheelchair. Second, Nick was pretty sure he'd seen the boy tense up when Nick had asked. But several seconds passed without a response. Either, somehow, the kid hadn't heard, or - more likely - he was ignoring Nick. Not your lucky day. His knee hurt, enough that he wanted to extract some minor revenge on the kid, and he wasn't going to be put off by having to ask twice. He stepped around to the side of the chair and hunched over so his head was only a little above the other boy's. "I said," he began, speaking very slowly, over-enunciating each word, "Do you get dragged behind the horse like a chariot?" In case he didn't catch that Nick was implying he was too dumb to understand the question, Nick added - with a slight sing-song cadence like speaking to a child - "a chariot is a cart that horses pull around, like the ancient Romans used to ride."
william jenkins
Student • 16 YRS
ISTP
Occupation
Student
Nickname
Will, Billy
Pronouns
he/him
Sexual Orientation
heterosexual
Status
single
Partner
none
Riding Style
English
Polly
is
Pollyana

Breed
Irish Sport
Disciplines
Hunter/Jumper
Application
is Offline

Pronouns
she/her
Timezone
GMT-5
Contact
PM for Discord
59 Posts
600 Points
Tenderfoot
Mustang
TW: bullying, bad foster care experiences, attempted murder, narrative threats of murder
The thing about guys like Nick was that they didn't know what they were messing with until it hit them in the face. Will was here not because of his wheelchair, but because he was an accessory to attempted murder. If Nick thought he outmatched his opponent, he had another thing coming. I've been dealing with guys like him my entire life. Sometimes they're bigger and sometimes they're meaner. He's a little bit of both, but if he thinks this is new to me, he's an idiot. People on the ranch didn't talk much about Will, other than to titter about the wheelchair. If they knew how he'd gotten into it, they might have had another think about their assumptions. People said Will was a sweet kid. For the most part, they were right about their feelings for him. He had a good personality, did what he was told, and contributed. He worked hard, was a good cook, and ate his weight in food every day without gaining an ounce. Most people could overlook what had brought him here. In truth, most people didn't know what had brought him here. If they did, they might have been afraid. It wasn't what he wanted. Not really. What he wanted was for people like Nick Fisher to leave him alone. Will had no use for guys like Nick. That had been why he chose to ignore him. If Nick couldn't take a hint, it would be to his detriment, and not to Will's. He clutched the edges of the desk. He's not worth it. If I engage him, I'm gonna wind up getting into trouble. That means shit like chopping wood. It's hard enough to stand up to open a door, let alone stand up to chop that shit. I'm not going to get into this with him. If I ignore him, he's going to stop. It never worked that way, and Will knew it. Bullies would keep pushing until they got what they wanted: A reaction. People like Nick thought they could smell fear, but they were wrong. He might have had another guy pissing his pants, but Will knew what he was capable of. He'd been the one to gather the gun and put it into Noah's hands. Will didn't advertise that fact. It wasn't their business. The bullies of Brook Haven didn't need to know that about him. He took a deep breath through his nose and pushed the chair back from his desk. It scraped, rather than rolled, the wheels locked in place so he wouldn't roll off. So that other people couldn't push him into doing something he didn't want to do. Too many people tried to move the chair, to make him go where they wanted. But Will was a person, and he possessed autonomy. "You'll want to back off," he said in a low tone of voice. He'd understood the question fine. He knew the lingo. He didn't care for Nick Fisher. "Find your seat before the one of us who still has the use of both legs doesn't any more."
nick fisher
Student • 16 YRS
ENTP
Occupation
Student
Nickname
Nick
Pronouns
He/him/his
Sexual Orientation
Pansexual
Status
Single
Partner
Riding Style
Western
Eater
is
Peter the Pumpkin Eater

Breed
American Quarter Horse
Disciplines
Pole Bending
Application
Ben
is Offline

Pronouns
He/him/his
Timezone
GMT-5
Contact
PM
126 Posts
665 Points
Wellwader
Mustang
TW: bullying, ableism, ableist slurs
Nick didn't back down. It didn't matter how much he actually cared, or whether he had any hope of winning. When Nick got into a fight with someone, it didn't end until someone was bleeding, screaming, or crying. That had been true in the old days, before his life-changing growth spurt, when his big mouth had routinely walked him into situations he couldn't get out of without a whole bunch of pain. These days he told himself it was for his reputation - that he had to show that he was willing to back up his swagger with some violence if needed - but, in truth, it was all stubbornness. So when Will threatened him, Nick smiled and interlaced his fingers, pulling them in to crack his knuckles loudly. "Did they teach you that in elementary school?" He followed up in a high pitched, nasal voice, imitating some imagined teacher. "Bullies are just cowards. If you act tough, they'll get scared and leave you alone. Has that ever actually worked for you? 'cause - and this is just constructive feedback here - the whole cripple thing kinda detracts from the threat." Nick sat on the edge of the desk next to Will, one leg on the ground holding his weight, the other dangling. The edge dropped from his tone, and went back to the line of questioning, pretending they were having a casual conversation. "I guess maybe someone could help you get on a horse, and then you could sort of ride around and steer with the reigns. I can't imagine you're that good at it if you can't use your legs, but maybe it's all someone like you can hope for." He eyed Will, smirking a little.
william jenkins
Student • 16 YRS
ISTP
Occupation
Student
Nickname
Will, Billy
Pronouns
he/him
Sexual Orientation
heterosexual
Status
single
Partner
none
Riding Style
English
Polly
is
Pollyana

Breed
Irish Sport
Disciplines
Hunter/Jumper
Application
is Offline

Pronouns
she/her
Timezone
GMT-5
Contact
PM for Discord
59 Posts
600 Points
Tenderfoot
Mustang
Nick Fisher had run into the wrong opponent today. The hair at the back of Will's neck bristled. He moved his hands to the wheels of his chair, gripped them tight. This is where I'm supposed to wheel away, back off, and tell somebody what's going on. That's what they taught Noah and me in elementary school. He'd never learned that lesson well. Noah was the more cerebral twin, while Will was the one with the muscle. It should have been me who pulled that trigger. I wouldn't have missed, and then Noah wouldn't be in jail right now. It would be best if he backed off, rolled on about his business and let the bully pick on somebody else. He'd always been the sort to protect himself first, hadn't he? Will had never gone out of his way to take care of making sure other people didn't suffer. Nick was free to move on to somebody else. Will didn't care. He took a deep breath and scanned the front of the classroom for the teacher. He's trying to make this look like a casual conversation. It's a show, like he thinks that he's going to get away with it. If I do something, I'm the one who will get into trouble. That meant that Will had to decide whether it was worth it to get into that kind of trouble on the ranch. Flynn was a physical person. Pushing back carried a risk with it that he would wind up punished. No, I'll definitely wind up punished. Nobody's going to listen to me. He's too careful for that. So now he had to decide if getting into trouble was worth it if it sent the message to Nick. One thing was for sure. If Nick kept going, he was going to wind up getting hurt. "You seem to have the impression you're talking to somebody stupid. I only see one stupid person at this desk, and I'm lookin' at him." Unlike Nick, Will didn't bother to keep his voice neutral. If he attracted the attention of the teacher, she might send Nick to his proper seat. That way, the fight could at least wait until Nick didn't have an audience. People are already looking. He cares about them, I don't. He cares about what the teacher thinks. I don't. Neither of them wanted to get punished, he felt sure of that. But teachers liked Nick. They didn't always notice the fact that the students didn't feel the same way. He underestimates me. At the end of the day, that's what this came down to. Will could stand if he wanted to. It hurt like a dickens, but he could put his weight on the bad leg. Wasn't that what most of the staff wanted him to do? They want me to get up and walk. Like some kind of fucking miracle. I can stand just fine if I have to. I don't want to because it fucking hurts. This asshole needs to know what that feels like. If this continued, Will would lay Nick out. "I'm gonna suggest one more time that you go back to your seat before you have to find out just who you're messing with, Fisher."

nick fisher
Student • 16 YRS
ENTP
Occupation
Student
Nickname
Nick
Pronouns
He/him/his
Sexual Orientation
Pansexual
Status
Single
Partner
Riding Style
Western
Eater
is
Peter the Pumpkin Eater

Breed
American Quarter Horse
Disciplines
Pole Bending
Application
Ben
is Offline

Pronouns
He/him/his
Timezone
GMT-5
Contact
PM
126 Posts
665 Points
Wellwader
Mustang
Nick kept smirking. Eventually the teacher would tell him to get back to his seat, if only because class was about to start, so he only had a little longer to torment the kid. If he timed things right, though, maybe he could get sent back to his seat just as Will was about to act, leaving the boy stewing in regret. He was willing to get in trouble, if it came to that, at least as long as he made sure Will got in it too - preferably worse - but it would be plenty satisfying to walk away and leave Will fuming. "Really, that's the best insult you've got?" He shrugged and put a finger on his nose to make his voice more nasal and, in a poor imitation of Will's voice, said, "Uhh. Nick's dumb. Uhhhh." Nick was used to people thinking he was stupid, and sometimes encouraged it. There were things people could say that would send him into a rage he couldn't control, but insulting his intelligence definitely wasn't one of them. In truth, the smart thing to do was to back off. For some reason, the other boy wasn't as scared as he ought to be. And given their positions, he really should have been pretty scared. So he probably did know something Nick didn't. He was a secret kung-fu master, or his dad was the ranch's biggest donor, or something. But Nick didn't back down. It was a point of pride, and ethics of a sort. Bullies only picked on the weak. Nick picked on anyone, and took what came. Nick's smirk faded, his eyes narrowed, and he leaned in, closer to Will. "You know, I'm just sitting here, trying to make polite conversation, and you've been nothing but rude." His tone was cold, not matching what he was saying, and he was almost whispering. "Like I give a damn if some punk in a wheelchair threatens me. So here's how I see it. You answer my damn question, or I make your life a living hell until I get bored." Suddenly louder, in an almost perky voice, he added, "Sound fair?"
william jenkins
Student • 16 YRS
ISTP
Occupation
Student
Nickname
Will, Billy
Pronouns
he/him
Sexual Orientation
heterosexual
Status
single
Partner
none
Riding Style
English
Polly
is
Pollyana

Breed
Irish Sport
Disciplines
Hunter/Jumper
Application
is Offline

Pronouns
she/her
Timezone
GMT-5
Contact
PM for Discord
59 Posts
600 Points
Tenderfoot
Mustang
In years gone by, a voice he could almost remember had once told Noah and will to "ignore the bullies and they will get bored." Will had been six years old that year, and the bullies had found him and his brother "weird" because they looked alike. Other kids weren't in the same class as their siblings, weren't the same age, didn't have the same eyes or hair. Their foster mother that year had done her best to make them separate from one another, but somehow the school had paired them in everything, as though they were a single unit and not two individuals capable of thinking for themselves. They'd been teased mercilessly that year, and Will had discovered that the only way to make it stop was to use his fists. He'd been suspended, then Noah had broken another boy's nose and been expelled. After that, they'd gone to live in a different foster home. It would take a long time for someone like Nick to get bored. He'd have to find all of the angles, look for a foothold into Will's emotional system. Nick would seek -- and likely find -- the cracks in his veneer and pour acid into them until Will melted from the inside. He knew this type. Nick would use his words to get the results that he wanted. He looks big and tough, but he's not as tough as he looks, either. And he's smarter than he looks, too. Idiots use their fists, smart people use their words. That must make me an idiot. It would also take Nick a long time to find the chinks in Will's armor. Most of the things that mattered about him weren't things he spoke openly about. The ranch knew his secrets, but even his group mates didn't. The meantime wouldn't hurt, but it would grate, and it would end the same way. In the end, Will's fist would find its way to Nick's face. His only decision was whether it happened today, or he let Nick play until the time was right. I'm going to get into trouble either way. Better to do it in front of an audience that gets to see the way that Nick Fisher's reign ends. The entire ranch had waited for somebody to bring him down a notch or two. Will had just never dreamed that it would be him who did it. He leaned forward and, in the same conspiratorial low, cool voice, said, "I've been to hell already. I scared the devil so bad he cast me out again." In its own way, it was true. He might have been the one shot, but they'd scared the man who had hurt them -- their own personal devil -- shitless. He pissed himself before he called the ambulance that took me away. I'll never forget the look in his eyes. Made every bit of it worthwhile. They'd been nothing more than a pair of fifteen year old boys facing a bully bigger than any Nick Fisher could so much as imitate, and they'd come out on top. He didn't know who he was messing with, and Will wanted it that way. Victory was sweeter when the guy on the other side didn't see it coming. Will's upper lip curled back into a snarl. "You don't want to know the best I've got, Fisher. Get off my desk." Nick had misjudged him. The chair had its benefits. Some believed Will could stand up and walk whenever he wanted to. they weren't wrong. His legs were plenty strong. It's the pain that gets to me, not weakness. He thinks he's picking on somebody who can't fight back. Guys like Nick aren't looking for a fight. If they were, they'd throw the first punch. Will couldn't be sure what Nick did want, but he had a sense of the guy's reputation around the ranch. The students hated him, and the staff hailed him. Will did neither. In his mind, it was easy to spot weakness, and Nick Fisher was weak. People who are truly strong don't need to prey on the weak. Where had Will heard that before? It might have been different if Nick had demonstrated a belief that Will was strong, but as it was, he kept picking on an issue that didn't exist. Will didn't care about the wheelchair because he was not weak. Maybe eventually Nick could rub him raw, but today wasn't that day. Today, Nick Fisher would go down. This was his last chance to walk away. "I'm going to tell you one more time to get off my desk. Last chance. Today is not your lucky day." His hands relaxed beneath the desk, and Will kicked the floor to test the chair. It was locked in its place: Leverage for him, but something which Nick wouldn't be able to use against him. He's got the wrong idea here, and today's the day that he's going to learn an important lesson. Getting around in a wheelchair makes the body strong, not weak. Will's upper body had developed, thanks to pushing himself around in the wheelchair, and he did chin-ups every chance that he got. Chest, back, arms, all strengthened rather than weakened. All Nick had was the assumption of power. All he had was fear. And Will wasn't afraid. Will lifted his chin, a last glance at Nick, and then turned his attention back to the front of the room. He was finished with this conversation. If Nick wanted to continue to have it, Will would oblige him. He'd clean the floor with Nick if that's what it came down to, and everyone would see it. A smirk tested the corners of his mouth. They'll love that, seeing him get what's coming to him. I might get in trouble, but I'm also going to be a hero to every kid on this ranch, aren't I? It was easy to imagine, even for someone who didn't have such a rich fantasy life. How often had he thought about murdering his foster father? After all, he was the reason that they'd tried it in the first place. By the time I'm done with him, he'll be lucky to stand up and walk again. I'll put him in a wheelchair. Wouldn't it be wonderful to see the roles reversed?
nick fisher
Student • 16 YRS
ENTP
Occupation
Student
Nickname
Nick
Pronouns
He/him/his
Sexual Orientation
Pansexual
Status
Single
Partner
Riding Style
Western
Eater
is
Peter the Pumpkin Eater

Breed
American Quarter Horse
Disciplines
Pole Bending
Application
Ben
is Offline

Pronouns
He/him/his
Timezone
GMT-5
Contact
PM
126 Posts
665 Points
Wellwader
Mustang
If Nick hadn't already gotten set on getting a rise out of Will, he'd be close to respecting the other kid. So far he'd fended off every jibe Nick had thrown, some of them, even Nick could acknowledge, cleverly. As it was, though, that just made Nick want to humiliate Will even more. "The devil cast you out again, eh? Cute story. I'm sure everyone thinks you're real clever 'round a campfire making s'mores." Nick leaned back and cracked his fingers again. "Wanna see if you can put those clever words to actually answering my question?" Nick leaned in. "Once more, since I'm pretty sure you're too dumb to remember the question." Even now, Nick's tone remained conversational. "What does a guy in a wheelchair do at a school where everyone's supposed to ride horses?" Nick rested one hand on the back of Will's wheelchair, pushing down a little - not enough to be visible, but enough, he was pretty sure, for Will to feel. A reminder of just how vulnerable Nick thought the wheelchair made him.
william jenkins
Student • 16 YRS
ISTP
Occupation
Student
Nickname
Will, Billy
Pronouns
he/him
Sexual Orientation
heterosexual
Status
single
Partner
none
Riding Style
English
Polly
is
Pollyana

Breed
Irish Sport
Disciplines
Hunter/Jumper
Application
is Offline

Pronouns
she/her
Timezone
GMT-5
Contact
PM for Discord
59 Posts
600 Points
Tenderfoot
Mustang
Will's legs worked just fine. That was the worst part of how Nick had underestimated him. His legs worked, but the left one hurt all the time because of where the bullet had torn through the muscles and nerves. It worked well enough, regardless, that he could push his foot down off the foot rest and onto the floor between Nick's feet. He leaned forward, his face close to Nick's. Nick's breath was hot on his own skin, and he rose his own brown eyes to his abuser's. "See my shoes?" His back tensed at the end on the back of his chair. The chair was an extension of his body, and people weren't allowed to touch him without his permission. Well, I suppose that two can play at that game, can't they. He held the eye contact, brown eyes locked on Nick's blue ones in what could have continued as a stare-down. He thinks he's got the upper hand because he's standing over me. Probably taller than me when I stand up, too. What an idiot. The wheelchair had built up the muscles in Will's back, chest, and upper arms, but that wasn't all. He did chin-ups every day at the obstacle course. He worked his leg in physical therapy. He knew what real pain felt like. Nick could hit him all he wanted, and Will would bounce back more than most of his presumed victims. He moved with surprising swiftness, his hand snaking around to grab Nick by the back of his neck and shove his head down toward the desk. "I said, have you seen my shoes. I didn't see you looking at them. Guess you needed some help." Not everybody knew what the lack of laces meant. For violent offenders, it meant the removal of one last weapon. Other kids couldn't have things like knives or other sharps. Will was considered dangerous enough to need velcro shoes. The judge had let him (and not Noah) off for the attempted murder, but it still counted. Will was a wildcard. "You're asking the wrong questions, Fisher. How about 'how did you get in that wheelchair, Billy boy?' I'll tell you." He pushed his fingers into the back of Nick's neck. He lowered his voice as he leaned forward into Nick's ear. "It's because I got shot when my brother and I put a bullet into a man who treated us just like you are now." That was the exaggeration of the century, but they did have one thing in common: They both thought Will wouldn't. He released Nick. "Now go take your seat before you find out what it takes to wind up at Brook Haven as a violent offender." As far as he knew, he was the only one at the moment. When Noah joined him, he'd be a second. He'd heard rumors about Rachel Vanderbilt and some gun, but those were unsubstantiated. One thing he knew for sure: He was not the person to fuck with on a good day. Today wasn't a good day.
nick fisher
Student • 16 YRS
ENTP
Occupation
Student
Nickname
Nick
Pronouns
He/him/his
Sexual Orientation
Pansexual
Status
Single
Partner
Riding Style
Western
Eater
is
Peter the Pumpkin Eater

Breed
American Quarter Horse
Disciplines
Pole Bending
Application
Ben
is Offline

Pronouns
He/him/his
Timezone
GMT-5
Contact
PM
126 Posts
665 Points
Wellwader
Mustang
Nick tried, and almost succeeded, at suppressing his grin when he saw Will tense up. He should have thought of it earlier - of course Will would be sensitive about people handling the wheelchair. Naturally, he responded by jerking his hand down enough to make the chair shake. "I'm sure your shoes are very nice," Nick snipped, not bothering to look down. "Can you put them on yourself, or do you a grown-up to tie your laces for you?" He should have been more alert - he didn't react in time to Will's sudden movement, to having his head forced down; if Will had wanted, he might have been able to bump Nick's head on the desk - not necessarily, but it was close enough to remind Nick that even if the other kid's mobility was limited, Nick didn't have total control of the situation. In fact, Will didn't have laces, and Will soon explained why. Nick struggled, but the other boy had a good grip on him, and it took some work to shake free. Finally, when Will loosened his grip, Nick pulled back, furious. For a few seconds, Nick glowered silently at Will, eyes narrowed, while he regained his composure. "You realize," he said, cold and flat, "that getting shot while your brother shoots your dad makes your brother a badass, and you a loser, right?" His voice thawed as he got into the swing it. "I mean, what's the threat supposed to be? Leave you alone or else you might get shot again?" Under other circumstances, he would have been impressed - a lot of the teens at Brook Haven talked tough, but most of them were like Nick, kids who'd dabbled in trouble and law breaking and ended up at the ranch before they'd done anything completely life altering. Knowing which ones were the real deal was important, if only because they were a lot less likely to buy Nick's bully act - which certainly explained why Will hadn't folded as quickly as Nick had hoped. Still, he was in too far to back down now. Nick stood up to his full height, keeping his head away from Will's reach, and put a hand down on the kid's far shoulder, squeezing tightly, digging his nails into Will's shoulder and back, and began pushing Will down; he wasn't planning to slam Will's head into the desk - not yet, anyway - just to shove his face into it a bit, leaving him wondering when Nick would let him up.
william jenkins
Student • 16 YRS
ISTP
Occupation
Student
Nickname
Will, Billy
Pronouns
he/him
Sexual Orientation
heterosexual
Status
single
Partner
none
Riding Style
English
Polly
is
Pollyana

Breed
Irish Sport
Disciplines
Hunter/Jumper
Application
is Offline

Pronouns
she/her
Timezone
GMT-5
Contact
PM for Discord
59 Posts
600 Points
Tenderfoot
Mustang
Nick's full height put him at an advantage over Will, but Will still had the upper hand as far as he was concerned. It wasn't just about his past, his actual willingness to obtain a gun, plan a murder, and put that gun in his brother's hands. If he'd been the one shooting, he would have shot true, hit his target, and they'd have been done with all of this. They probably would also have both been in prison, while Noah had only wound up in juvy for a period of time, based on his failure to hit the target and the history of the case. Nick had the height advantage, but Will had the advantage of the fact that Nick talked too fucking much for his own good. It wasn't always easy to separate what was true from what was a clever lie, but Will had an idea of what Nick had been through. It wasn't that he talked therapeutically, it was that when a student tried to take advantage of the staff the way that Nick did, word got around and the other students picked up on things that the Mouth might not want them to know about. So Will knew things about Nick's father, the poor, poor, pitiful Nick act. He knew Nick was bigger than him, and he knew Nick liked to think he had the upper hand. He also knew that most of his peers backed down the moment somebody showed an inclination toward bullying. He had a good idea of what he was dealing with. Will, on the other hand, kept his mouth shut, did his own thing, and stuck to the shadows whenever possible. He quietly worked the obstacle course, fought with his occupational therapist, and worked the muscles that didn't make him feel like he was dying. So his left leg was weaker than his right. Nobody had access to that knowledge. His workouts were his own business. The closest thing to understanding his situation was Dr. Novak, who worked with him on rebuilding the muscle in his leg. It gave Will the advantage of cleverness. He'd not blown his cover yet. Nick knew that he was quick and that hew as here as an actual violent offender. Will sneered in spite of the height difference. "How do you think he got the idea?" Shooting their foster father had been Will's idea and not Noah's. It burned him that Noah was the one who got punished, while he didn't have to deal with any of the consequences. Will laughed. "The funniest part of all of this is that you think you're going to win." The nails in his shoulder ached, producing a dull throbbing sensation that Will ignored. "You're going to have to do a lot better than that." He reached with his left hand and grabbed Nick's right wrist, then twisted, hard. He probably also wasn't accounting for me to be left handed, was he? He didn't sink his own nails into Nick's skin -- such a girl move to make if he was honest about it. Instead, he twisted hard, like his foster father had once done to him -- hard enough to break bone if he didn't let up in time -- or if Nick didn't free himself in time.
nick fisher
Student • 16 YRS
ENTP
Occupation
Student
Nickname
Nick
Pronouns
He/him/his
Sexual Orientation
Pansexual
Status
Single
Partner
Riding Style
Western
Eater
is
Peter the Pumpkin Eater

Breed
American Quarter Horse
Disciplines
Pole Bending
Application
Ben
is Offline

Pronouns
He/him/his
Timezone
GMT-5
Contact
PM
126 Posts
665 Points
Wellwader
Mustang
Sure, Nick should have been prepared. He was trying to provoke Will, so it wouldn’t exactly be a surprise if Will did eventually lash out. Even so, Nick’s guard wasn’t really up. If he’d felt genuinely threatened—if they weren’t in a classroom surrounded by people and with a teacher due to walk in soon—he would have been paying more attention, ready for the moment when Will inevitably, finally, attacked him. But Nick was lazy, and the kid was in a wheelchair. How much harm could letting him get the drop on Nick do? So Nick wasn’t paying enough attention to react quickly when Will grabbed his arm, and Nick found himself twisting away from Will, losing his grip on Will’s shoulder and nearly losing his balance as well. He glanced reflexively at the door. It would be a fantastic stroke of luck if the teacher walked in right at this moment, but Nick made that luck—it wasn’t an accident that he’d picked this fight soon before the teacher would surely arrive—and it had worked out for him before. Today wasn’t that day, however, which meant they’d probably both get caught fighting. But even if Nick preferred it when kids backed down to his bullying, or when he could use the staff to fend off a real fight, Nick never started a fight he wasn’t prepared to finish. Nick’s feet slipped for a second before he caught his balance and pushed his weight onto Will’s back. It pulled his body closer, reducing the tension on his arm, and more importantly threatened to push Will’s upper body down, potentially hitting his head on the desk, which Nick suspected would be distracting enough to make him release his grip. His head was close enough to Will’s ear for his gruff whisper to be audible over the commotion. ”Of course I’m going to win. I just want to find out how much I get to hurt you first.”
william jenkins
Student • 16 YRS
ISTP
Occupation
Student
Nickname
Will, Billy
Pronouns
he/him
Sexual Orientation
heterosexual
Status
single
Partner
none
Riding Style
English
Polly
is
Pollyana

Breed
Irish Sport
Disciplines
Hunter/Jumper
Application
is Offline

Pronouns
she/her
Timezone
GMT-5
Contact
PM for Discord
59 Posts
600 Points
Tenderfoot
Mustang
Students in the classroom had begun to move. It was hard to tell whether they intended to clear room for the fight or if they meant to get out of Nick's way. They underestimated Will; He already knew that, had heard the things they whispered about him, the rumors that he was weak. Why fight it? Let them think what they would; In the long run it gave him the advantage. Nick probably thought Will cared what the teachers thought. A few whispers implied that he was a brown-noser, the kind of kid who wanted the attention of the grownups. They were wrong. Will couldn't care less about the adults; He wanted the respect of the other teens. He'd earned that, at least. He lay low, kept his head down, stayed out of trouble. Waited for his moment. He'd planned, and he'd been patient. It was only a matter of time before one of the ranch's bigger kids -- one of its bullies -- came to him. He considered himself lucky it was Nick. Nick Fisher was more talk than he was physical. Even if he was bigger than Will, he didn't know which buttons to push. Since Nick was more of a verbal person, he left himself vulnerable where it would ultimately count. Sticks and stones had hurt Will's body to the point that words truly could no longer hurt him. He knew what weakness felt like; This wasn't it. If anything, power rippled beneath Will's muscles. His arms bulged beneath the loose cotton of his flannel shirt, hidden away where bullies like Nick couldn't see them. He knew how to eat, and pulling that much weight with only his upper body had made Will stronger than most imagined. He carried not only the weight of his own body, but also the chair, and he carried it in his arms and shoulders -- The parts of him that would do the hurting, when the time came. It was cat and mouse, a game they both played, and Will didn't mind taking his time. Let the teacher walk in and try to break them up. Whatever Nick thought, the process would take time. Will wasn't apt to break it off the moment a grownup told him to. He'd had enough of that kind of control to last him a lifetime. Now he thought for himself, and if that meant Nick Fisher walked away with a broken nose and a black eye, so be it. If it meant he walked away with a broken jaw, Will wouldn't be crying into his Cheerios the next day. Maybe they'd even send him to juvy to reunite him with Noah. A noise in the corner of the classroom caught Will's attention a fraction of a second too early (or too late). In the moment he locked eyes with a boy with black hair and a narrow, thin nose, Nick twisted out of his grasp. Will scrabbled to regain his grip, but Nick had the element of surprise. Will cursed under his breath, annoyed that he'd caught the distraction. He shot an angry look in the direction of his classmate, a low growl in his throat as Nick pushed him forward. It was the loss of breath that affected Will the most as his body folded on itself, compressing the space in his internal cavity, the room available for his diaphragm to move. He grunted, choking for breath. His hands gripped the arm-rests on the wheelchair. The harder it was to breathe, the harder it was to think. Only by chance, he kicked back on the floor, finding that the chair had come off its brake. Pain shot up his left leg, and Will released a scream. He'd need his hands free to move the leg back into the right position. Struggling, he swung his left elbow up, hoping to catch Nick beneath his chin and send him reeling backward and away from the chair.
nick fisher
Student • 16 YRS
ENTP
Occupation
Student
Nickname
Nick
Pronouns
He/him/his
Sexual Orientation
Pansexual
Status
Single
Partner
Riding Style
Western
Eater
is
Peter the Pumpkin Eater

Breed
American Quarter Horse
Disciplines
Pole Bending
Application
Ben
is Offline

Pronouns
He/him/his
Timezone
GMT-5
Contact
PM
126 Posts
665 Points
Wellwader
Mustang
By now, Nick's attention was fully focused on Will. It was one thing to let Will get first shot in, but there were a lot of people watching, and Nick's reputation depended on being able to win this sort of fight, or at least make it so painful for the other kid that no one else wanted to try it themself. Even so, he could hear some shuffling going on. Surely the fight was dominating the attention of everyone in the room, whether they were watching raptly or pointedly looking away. Nick enjoyed the idea, even if he wasn't going to let it distract him now. He managed to push Will's upper body down, and Nick could hear the boy struggling for breath. For a moment, he thought the fight would be over quickly, until Will screamed and the wheel chair slipped back, bumping Nick and loosening his grip. Before Nick could react, Will did, and Nick felt an elbow crash into his chin. With a roar, he stumbled backwards. His chin, his cheekbones, burned and ached, and he fell almost onto the lap of some boy in the row behind them. Nick turned to look at the boy for one second, and enjoyed his quick flinch, as if Nick would switch to fighting with him for having the gall to be fallen into. Instead Nick turned back towards Will and considered his options for how to reengage. Usually he would have taken the opportunity to toss some quip out, but his mouth hurt enough that he wasn't inclined to talk at the moment. Instead, he stepped sideways and then forward and reached for the grips on the wheelchair. It was the wheel chair shifting that had cost him his hold earlier, and if he held it he could hope to dump Will straight out of it onto the floor. It was a plausible, if risky, tactic, but Nick was mostly motivated by the hope that Will would find it humiliating to tossed on the ground like that.
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Affiliates
Resources & Directories
RPG-D
Sister Sites
Static
Scrolling
Skin coded by Devin exclusively for Brook Haven Ranch.