WRANGLER
TRAILBLAZER
WELLWADER
PATHFINDER
RIDGERUNNER
WINDCHASER
CLIFFHANGER
Welcome to Brook Haven!
Welcome to Brook Haven Ranch! We are a 18+ premium role playing community set in Trader's Bend, Montana. Our concept is the culmination of twenty years of plotting and planning. We feature a rich, developed program in which many troubled characters thrive. Our community is one of the best on jcink and we look forward to you becoming a part of it!
Healing Horses & Troubled Teens since 1995
Not every teenager has the benefit of growing up in a loving, happy home. Some are victims of abuse, neglect, a system that shuffles them from foster home to foster home. Brook Haven Ranch was established in 1995 as a refuge for abused and neglected horses -- and teenagers who needed a second chance in life and the opportunity to become something more than society expects of them.
Updates
8/25/2017 - Revamp Executed! 11/3/2017 - Holiday Event Launched!

STAFF SEARCH!

Forum Rules Tag Your Triggers!

Remember to Tag Your Triggers!
People and events in shippers are entirely fictional.

Add Reply
New Poll

when she gives her love she knows what it's worth, 21 / WRANGLER / KAYA SCODELARIO
nicole holmes
social worker • 21 YRS
INFP
Occupation
social worker
Nickname
Nic
Pronouns
she/her
Sexual Orientation
heterosexual
Status
married
Partner
liam holmes
Riding Style
Western
Nicole was born on the Ranch. Daughter of Amber and Logan, she knows exactly what the purpose of Brook Haven is, and she believes in it with all of her heart. After all, it's why she never went far, and even got her degree in Social Work, much like her father.

For years, Nic has been trying to get a position on the ranch, working with the students, but it wasn't until the January after she graduated college that she was able to obtain employment on BHR, working with the students. This has caused some tension between her and her father, as she feels that he doesn't believe in her, or her ability to help the kids on the ranch.

On top of all of this, shortly after obtaining a position on the ranch, Nicole got married in a private ceremony (she eloped) at the county courthouse and married Liam Holmes, a neighboring ranch owner, without informing any of her family.

Tensions are high for Nicole right now, and when you factor in the fact that her father's biological parents are in town (thanks to her), that her little sister has recently discovered that she's adopted, and that she thinks she might be pregnant -- there really is a lot going on.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Loretta
is
Country Legend

Breed
thoroughbred
Disciplines
barrel racing
Application
is Offline

Pronouns
she/her
Timezone
GMT-5
Contact
pm me!
28 Posts
1165 Points
Wrangler
leader
Nicole Brook Holmes
TW: addiction, alcohol use, drug use, parental addictions, adoption issues,

Basics

Full Name: Nicole Brook Holmes
Nickname/Alias: Nick
Date of Birth: March 11, 1996
Current Age: 21
Pronouns: she/her
User Group: Wrangler
Sub-Group: Leader

Appearance

Eye Color: Blue
Hair Color: Brown
Height: 5' 6"
Weight: 121lb
Scars or Marks:
  • Raised scar on her right hip.
  • Burn scar on her left arm.

Tattoos or Piercings
  • Ears
  • Belly Button
  • Tongue

Face Claim: Kaya Scodelario

Personality

MBTI Type: INFP
Likes: early mornings, late nights, front porch swings, romance, kids that people see as 'tough cases', the bible, Sunday mornings, cooking, eating, taking naps, riding horses, hiking, kayaking, gardening, teaching, listening, date nights, being active, laid back days, summer weather, porch swings, baking, swimming, music, alone time, movie nights, bonfires, country music, ice skating
Dislikes: being criticized, know-it-alls, being forced into social situations, cruelty, loudmouths, malls, high heels, fancy events, unfair expectations, loudmouths, violence
Strengths: compassionate, idealistic, cooperative, open-minded, artistic, diplomatic, intuitive, gentle, gracious, fair-minded, hard-working, energetic, wise
Weaknesses: takes things personally, overly trusting, indecisive, stubborn, difficult to get to know, impractical, sad, self-pities, avoids confrontation, will carry a grudge, dislikes dealing with data
Fears: drowning, venomous snakes, heights, something bad happening to her parents, losing her grandparents, house fires
Aspirations: One day, run Brook Haven. Make a difference in the lives of the ranch students. Raise happy and healthy kids. Have a happy marriage.

Relationships

Romantic Orientation: Heteroromantic
Sexual Orientation: Heterosexual
Relationship Status: Married
Significant Other: Liam Holmes

Lifestyle

Career/Occupation: Social Worker
Education: bachelor's degree in social work
Dream Job: Run Brook Haven Ranch.
Home Town: Trader's Bend, Montana
Religion: Christian

Equestrian Life

Preferred Riding Style: Western
Disciplines: Barrel Racing, Trail Riding
Riding Strengths: great communication with horse, strong connection to horse, good posture
Riding Weaknesses: struggles to ride with one hand free, struggles with sitting the trot

Nicole's Timeline

• March 11, 1996 -- Nicole was born.
  • 2000 -- They year her brother, Harrison, was born.
  • 2002 -- The year Sierra joined their family. It was also the year that her Aunt Chloe stopped coming by.
      Harrison was just a toddler when Sierra was adopted, but I remember what it was like having her in the house. It wasn't like when mom brought my brother home.

From the beginning, Sierra was fussy, and mom didn't breast feed her. Sierra got sick more often than Harrison did and she was prone to screaming through the night, or whenever anyone put her down. I remember because this was the year I started the first grade, and I fell asleep in class -- when my teacher asked why, I told her that the baby had been screaming all night. That was a rough year.

• 2004 -- Nicole broke her arm falling off a horse.
  • 2006 -- Goldie died.
      Goldie was a great dog, and his death hit me particularly hard. He was the first pet of mine to die, and saying goodbye was a hard concept for me to grasp and deal with at 10.
  • 2007 -- Elementary Graduation
  • 2010 -- Got bit by a rattle snake.
      I'm still terrified of snakes! It was a very scary situation for me, but it would have been worse to lose my horse. I don't know that I'd take it back. I'm just glad that Dad heard me scream. I don't know that I'd be here if he hadn't.
  • 2012 -- Graduated High School two years early.
      Graduating high school early took a lot of hard work, but I'd say that it was definitely worth it. I grew up knowing what it was that I wanted to do -- likely a side effect of growing up where I did.
  • Fall of 2012 -- Started Community College courses.
  • 2015 -- Graduated College with a Bachelor's Degree in Social Work
  • 2015 -- Met Liam Holmes, one of the ranch's neighbors, and began dating.
  • January 2016 -- Accepted the Female Wrangler Leader position at Brook Haven Ranch.
  • January 2016 -- Married Liam Holmes in a quiet, private, ceremony at the county courthouse. She also became the mother of three small girls.
  • January 2016 -- Moved out of her childhood home and onto her husband's ranch.

I'm still here.

Maybe running off and eloping hadn't been her best idea in the world, but big shindigs had never been important her -- she'd always left that sort of stuff to Sierra. It hadn't occurred to her that making such a huge change without consulting her parents might hurt them, but now that it's done, she's not sure what she's supposed to do. At the end of the day she is married to a wonderful man and a new mother to three girls, but she's still there. She's still working on the ranch, and doing her best to stay as involved as ever. But tension between her and her family only seem to be getting worse.

What's a girl to do?

Finding Balance

Daughter. Niece. Social Worker. Wife. Mother of three. Group Leader. Cook. Maid. Tantrum stopper. Accountant. Interior Designer. The list of occupations Nic has recently taken on really does just go on and on.

Attempting to balance her new marriage, her new role as mother, her recently acquired position on the ranch that she sought for years, and her relationships with her family is a lot harder than it might look on the outside. She's young, and the truth is that she doesn't quite know what she's doing.

Intervention Time

The discovery that her father's using again is huge. It's a battle that he's struggled with longer than Nic has ever known him, but over the years, she's learned to look for signs, because like it or not, it isn't his first relapse. Despite the fact that they clash so hard, Nicole's love for her father runs deep, and there is pretty much nothing she wouldn't do for him if he needed it. It's that love that's going to drive her to confront him head on.

Blood Ties

Genealogy is a funny thing, and when you add adoption into the process, things like genetics and family lines get a little wonky. Growing up, her dad didn't talk much about his biological parents, and Nicole's recent fascination with genealogy meant that she has a lot of unanswered questions. A penned letter has put an end to that, as the Malone's have shown up in Trader's Bend. It will only be so long before they show up on the ranch, and then what?

What does she say to them? And what does she say to her father?

About Nicole

What you have to understand about Nicole is that she's the quiet sort, but that doesn't mean that she doesn't care. She's incredibly observant of the people and things going on around her, and it's rare for her to miss a beat. If she sees a person hurting, she's going to do her best to be able to be there by her side. She might not say something, because not every moment requires words (something she's learned from her Uncle Tony), but knowing that there is someone there sometimes makes things easier.

She's a pretty good people reader, but this is her first year working on the ranch. Her degree in social work has prepared her, in some ways, for some of the trials she may be introduced, but time is the best teacher, and as she's quickly learn, not everyone or everything is textbook.

Right now, Nic is struggling in finding balance between her family ranch and .... her family ranch. Recently married, she has a lot on her plate, between balancing home and work life, especially considering that home life includes three children under the age of 12 and a bison ranch that she desperately wants to be able to contribute to. Thankfully, she has a wonderful husband who is supportive, and knew precisely who it was that he'd been marrying, and supports her endeavors on Brook Haven. Then there's the fact that her parents are upset with her for getting married without telling them.

Fiercely independent, Nic tends to do things her way, without much regard for silly things like rules, and while I wouldn't consider her a rule breaker (by any stretch of the imagination), she will always attempt to do her best for those around her within what she feels are reasonable limits for herself. She's a giving, loving, Godly woman who wants what's best for those she cares about, and finds it frustrating when kids on the ranch dig their heels in.

Platonic

Nic can make an amazing ally. Not only is she a dependable sort of person, but she genuinely cares about people. She wants to see things turn out well for people, and it's rare that she speaks a negative thought (though she will if she manages to get her temper really worked up). She's loyal, almost to a fault, and does her best to be the sort of friend that she'd like to have. If someone she loves needs her, she's there so long as it's within her power to be. She'd gladly pull herself out of bed in the middle of the night to come to the aid to one of her friends.

Romantic

There's no need for romantic relationships, since Nicole is a happily married woman who is head over heels in love with the most amazing man ever. She's not interested in straying from her husband, and to be honest, she didn't have all that many relationships before he came along -- she was just too busy taking care of what needed taking care of.

With that said, she is a romantic, and prone to doing simple things to show Liam that she loves him, from heading home early on days she can, to making his favorite meals, and making sure that home is somewhere he wants to be.

Antagonistic

"If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything" is a principle that Nic does her best to live by, but there are occasions when things need to be said, or where she has no control over things other people do, and that's where animosity can build.

One of her biggest goals is to have a happy life, and people who come between her and obtaining that happy-peaceful life could cause some problems. Most of the time, if Nic has a problem she will simply walk away and let you deal with whatever it is that your struggling with on your own -- it's not common for her to stand there and have it out with another person (unless that person is important to her). She's not the sort to willingly engage in a fight, especially if she thinks that it's pointless.

Familiar

Family relationships are different, depending on which family members your talking about. She's got a tense relationship with her dad, with the both of them under the impression that the other doesn't understand them. She has a close, and loving relationship with her mom. She's incredibly close with her grandmother. And avuncular relationships depend on the Uncle your talking about. Her Aunt Tara is someone she both adores, and yet struggles to understand at times, but still, she looks up to her as an amazing strong woman in her life that she could really learn from.

As you can tell, her familiar relationships really are all over the place, and there's always room for growth and development, especially since she's under the impression that quite a few of her family member feel slighted due to her running off and getting married without telling anyone. Now she doesn't know what to do, she can't fix it, or make it right -- it's just that she didn't want a big fuss, and she didn't particularly feel like waiting.

Other

Okay, so this is where you'll find important information if you're in the Wrangler Group. As one of the two co-leaders, Nicole takes her position in these kids lives pretty seriously. She knows that a lot of them are coming in with baggage, and the fact that they don't want to talk about it (or if they do) won't bother her. As far as she's concerned, she's not going anywhere, she has all the time in the world for them to open up. With that said, she isn't going to have them not participating in group activities, chores, or school.

Nic believes that these kids need someone to believe in them, and to her, that means that if they need a kick in the butt to get going, she'll give it to them. She doesn't talk a whole lot, so these kids will quickly learn that when she does say something, she means it.

First Impressions

Nic doesn't particularly stick out as amazingly attractive. She's fairly ordinary, and some might even say a bit plain with her long wavy brown hair, which is typically pulled back for efficiency purposes, and her general lack of makeup. What people often do recognize is that quickly is that, despite being short, she's incredibly fit. Her arms are muscular and her thighs are thick from years of horseback riding, and can usually be attributed to such whether she's at her childhood home of Brook Haven or her adult home, which is a bison farm.

Stranger Impressions

Most people know her first as Logan and Amber's daughter. She's never been able to obtain her identity on her own, and it won't be long before it's Liam's wife, or Lauren,Sara, orJessica's mom. While she'd prefer to be known for the things she does in the community, strangers often lump her in with someone, as if she belongs to them, instead of seeing her as an individual with her own identity.

Friendly Impressions

While Nicole is friendly with many, she doesn't have all that many friends, which means that the ones she does keep close, are aware. Respect and love are the two most important things for Nic, and if her friends can't behave in either manner, then she will cut them off. She doesn't have room in her life for toxic attitudes, and they know it, because she'll tell them.

Familiar Impressions

Nic's family differs between the family she was born into, and the one that she married into. Her natal family often sees her as distant and maybe even somewhat aloof. She's loving, but she needs breaks from socialization, and this can cause some tension in the family when they feel like she should be doing more. She does the best she can with her parents and her brother.

Her husband's family sees her through a different lens. In the place of the distant girl her natal family sees, they see an active, strong, confident woman, though lately that's been replaced with some fatigue as she attempts to juggle everything and everyone to the best of her ability.

Rival Impressions

Nicole isn't particularly competitive anymore, but there was a time when she was, especially with rodeo activities such as barrel racing and pole bending. When she was competing in those activities, her rivals typically saw her as competition that typically kept to herself. Quick to cheer people on and wish them the best, folks don't often view her as negative or aggressive.

Enemy Impressions

People don't often see her coming, and it's how quite a few of Nicole's enemies are made. She puts them in their place, and at the end of the day, she's not sorry that she did it. People who dislike her often feel that way because she told them how it was and didn't apologize or attempt to make them feel better -- because she won't. It's a good idea for people to keep in mind that she typically does this because she cares, or really thinks your wrong, and that there is always a chance that she will simply turn around and walk away.

Authority Impressions

Nicole understands why rules are in place, but to be completely honest, she doesn't often think much about them. The ones that are common sense are second nature, but she tends to do what she pleases, when she pleases, so long as it works with what it is that she's trying to accomplish. This probably grates on people in authority over her -- it's probably a good thing that her job is mostly safe.

Coworker/Partner Impressions

Nic grew up on Brook Haven Ranch, which means that she knows most of the people that were there before the ranch shut down the first time, and is likely friendly, but work is work, and she's not there to make friends. She wants to do the best she can to help these kids grow, heal, and work their way through the program -- this doesn't leave a whole lot of time for co-worker relationships.

Lover Impressions

Romantic and loving, it's obvious that she cares about her husband deeply. It's things like putting the girls down early one night so that they can have a private dinner and watch a movie together, or the way that she makes sure that the things he needs are available for him. Nic values time with Liam, and does her best to show appreciation for all of the things that he does for her and the girls. Liam is the person that Nic's most likely to loose around and really be herself with very few to no barriers.

Self-Impressions

Nicole likes herself well enough, but she does recognize that there are times that she would classify the things she does (or sometimes says) as awkward. She doesn't always have the best timing, and it's something that she's working on, and part of the reason that she tries to do more listening than anything else -- it gives her the opportunity to step in at the right moment. She does the best that she can to be and stay positive, even when things aren't going her way, and what she wants most is for her family to be and stay peaceful and happy.

Post-Mortem Impressions

Nicole is likely to be remembered as a champion for those that are down, especially teenagers that come to the ranch seeking refuge (whether they see it that way or not). Some will remember her as a patient mother and loving wife. Many people will attend her funeral and mourn her, but many will also quickly forget her and move on with their lives, while others will remember her and her impact on their life.

Mun Impressions

I see Nicole differently than anyone else on this list, I think. She's a stable, Godly woman, with a huge heart that loves without conditions and truly does want to make a difference in the lives of the people she's around. If she chooses to spend time with you, count yourself lucky, because it means that she cares. I love this woman to pieces. She's busy and yet manages to find time for the things that are important to her. She can be a bit jealous, as is apparent with her relationship with Sierra, and she can be incredibly harsh when she needs to make a point, but she's young and will likely stabilize more as she ages, grows, and learns.

Friends

First Last • Relationship

Bacon ipsum dolor amet brisket shoulder pork belly, prosciutto cupim jerky andouille meatball ham hock porchetta landjaeger. Cupim shank filet mignon, corned beef rump brisket salami biltong shankle drumstick chicken. Rump turducken brisket, porchetta ball tip sausage spare ribs. Strip steak corned beef short loin prosciutto chicken. Sausage pork chop tail meatloaf. Cupim spare ribs boudin andouille. Ham hock shankle capicola leberkas pancetta.

Bacon ipsum dolor amet brisket shoulder pork belly, prosciutto cupim jerky andouille meatball ham hock porchetta landjaeger. Cupim shank filet mignon, corned beef rump brisket salami biltong shankle drumstick chicken. Rump turducken brisket, porchetta ball tip sausage spare ribs. Strip steak corned beef short loin prosciutto chicken. Sausage pork chop tail meatloaf. Cupim spare ribs boudin andouille. Ham hock shankle capicola leberkas pancetta.

Enemies

Lovers

Liam Holmes • Husband

Nicole is completely in love with her husband, and she is very happy with her decision to marry him, even if it has meant more of a juggling act than she might have thought. It's been an adjustment, living somewhere other than at home, but she's loved every minute of it, and Liam has made it well worth it. His kindness and hard working nature make him easy to love, and his great sense of humor after a rough day help to spread joy and laughter around the house.

Family

Lauren Holmes • Step-daughter

At 11, Lauren is actually too old to be Liam's biological daughter, but he did adopt her when she was five, and married her mother. As a result of her mother's death, and the unknown whereabouts of her biological father, her every tie to biological family has been torn from her. She's struggling with the death or her mother, and her relationship with Nick is tense, to say the least. It doesn't help that her Dad has been coming down on her for disrespect, which makes matters worse in Nick's eyes. Nicole doesn't feel like the pre-teen needs someone coming down on her as much as she needs someone to see and listen. She won't argue with Liam about it, while they might be parenting together, he knows Lauren best, and she knows that he only wants what's best for her.

Sara Holmes • Step Daughter

Sara is six, and seems eager to have a mom. It's very important to her that career days are attended, and that they bake cookies. She's more of a talker than Nicole tends to be, but she's still managed to worm herself deep into Nic's heart. She's known Sara since she was a bitty thing, and the little girl is simply amazing.

Jessica Holmes • Step-daughter

Jess is two years old, and Deaf. Whether that is a result of birth or the traumatic car accident in which her mother died is uncertain. She's got a personality that is all her own, and is very accustomed to getting her way. An inability to be able to effectively communicate doesn't help when she becomes frustrated, which is, unfortunately, frequent. Nick thinks it is really important that everyone in the house learn to sign, and her hope is that, in time, everyone will be able to communicate with each other well enough that there won't be communication barriers.

Logan Malone Brook • Father

The relationship between Nick and her father has always tense. Some say that it's because the two are so alike that they can't seem to see eye to eye, but Nic struggles with understanding her father's motivations. Not only is he hard on her, but she feels like he doesn't see much when he looks at her. Since her elopement, things have been more tense than ever, and she's doing the best she can, but mostly, she's taken to avoiding him when possible. The ability to avoid him isn't going to be able to last, especially when she begins to catch wind of the concerns that the family has.

Amber Brook • Mother

Amber and Nicole have a great relationship. Nic absolutely adores her mother and appreciates everything that she's done over the years for both her and her siblings. Amber tends to be more of a talker than Nicole is, and it suits them just fine, because while her mother talks, Nic learns. She wants so badly to be like her mom, and just hopes that she can bring the same light to her own childrens' lives.

Harrison Brook • Brother

Harrison is amazing, and while he's considerably younger than Nick is they tend to be close. There isn't much that she wouldn't bail her brother out of, including the occasional party that gets out of control. She worries about him, but he's got a good head on his shoulders for the most part, and she feels like he deserves to be able to just be a teenager from time to time.

Sierra Brook • Sister

If you asked Nicole what the one thing was that she didn't miss about living at home, the answer, as severe as it might be would be "Sierra". Not only is she overly dramatic (in Nic's mind), but she's loud, and used to getting her way. Some people might say that this is fairly typical in youngest children, but it manages to really grate Nicole. The fact her younger sister is also particularly close with their dad doesn't help matters, but rather, puts another wedge between the sisters.

Other

Habits

Corners tucked

Every morning, before she leaves the house, she makes her and Liam's bed. Obviously, the exception would be if her husband was still in it for some reason, but she likes making her bed every morning -- it's a habit that she developed as a child and never saw any reason to change. She's actually working on it with the girls as well.

5am -- Bacon's On

Early mornings have been a thing for Nicole since she was in in college, and with a ranch, early mornings come naturally. She's up every morning, when it's still dark out, so that she can start her day. The bacon and coffee are usually on by five, and somewhere shortly after that she begins to get everyone else up to join her.

Every day starts with coffee

Typically, one of the first things that Nic does after taking her morning shower is grab a cup of coffee. By the time she's getting the girls off to school, or heading to work, she's had multiple cups, which could be seen as odd considering that she grew up on Brook Haven. But since she never worked the program herself, she's never been limited in coffee (once she was of a reasonable age, obviously). She loves her energy burst in the morning from the coffee, and she feels more productive when she has it.

Every day ends with an adult drink

Most evenings, Nicole unwinds with an alcoholic beverage of some variety. A glass of wine, a beer, maybe even some whiskey on the rocks if it was particularly rough. This typically happens after the kids are in bed, or with dinner. **This could easily turn into an addictive habit that spirals out of control..**

Quirks

Milk before bed

When Nicole was a little girl, her mom always gave her milk before bed, and as a result, even as an adult, she always has a glass of milk before bed. It's just one of those things.

Not you too ....

Nic can take criticism well from just about anyone, except for her father. She takes things that Logan says to heart, and while she will do her best to not show him how much his disapproval hurts, she takes what he says particularly hard. She does wish that he had more positive things to say about what she does, but she won't say anything about it. She always waits until she's in private to break down, but she almost always does need a moment so that she can do that.

Nervous ticks

If Nicole's inside and nervous, especially in her own space, she's prone to rearranging objects until she's happy with them (usually the original position). This is typically a really good indication that something's wrong, or that she's upset and maybe even feeling insecure.

Hobbies

Scrabble

Growing up, scrabble was one of those games that she played with her family, and as a result, it''s something she still enjoys to this day. Being able to sit down after dinner and enjoy a nice quiet game of scrabble is something that she used to do with her mother, and now it's something that she'd love to pass on to her (step) daughters. It's ones of those games that you can play either in silence or while having a conversation -- and neither is particularly awkward.

Doll Face-Ups

This is a somewhat new hobby for her. She picked it up a couple years ago when she heard about people taking the overly dramatized dolls and turning them into something that they found gorgeous. She doesn't share this with a whole lot of people, and even her parents don't know that she has boxes of refaced dolls in her closets, ranging from okay to amazing. Now that she has a few girls of her own, she figures she might need to go dig them out for them.

Hiking

Hiking can be done in a group setting or individually. It's versatility is what appeals to Nick so much. She loves to get out in nature, and just take a moment to enjoy what is. Sometimes she uses this alone time to talk to God, but others, she likes to enjoy heading out, and being alone with her thoughts. She also loves to take hikes with the kids on the ranch, she feels like a lot of self discovery was made for her, out in those very same woods, and more than anything, she wants the kids on the ranch to come to terms with who they are, and who they want to be.

Rodeo

For years, Nick has been participating in the rodeo, both locally and across the country. Now that she's married, and working as a group leader on BHR, she's doing less, even if she still practices.

Skills

Canning • Intermediate

Finding time for the things that she loves is something that Nick is a pro at, and somewhere in her busy schedule, she makes time for canning fresh fruits and vegetables from their garden. It's one of those things that she can do individually, and can find some alone time in.

Cooking • Advanced

Cooking for her family is something that Nicole has always enjoyed being able to do. She's taken the things that her mother's taught her over the years, and developed her own adaptations and recipes. Having little kids in the house is something new, and finding recipes that both the adults and kids like is taking a bit of adjusting on everyone's part, especially since the girls' mother's idea of cooking is frozen chicken nuggets and kool aid.

Baking • Intermediate

This is one of those skills that she wants to be amazing at, but falls short, especially when you compare her to her Aunt Tara. She enjoys baking, and the more she does the better she gets, but she's not at a point where she's comfortable creating her own recipes, and is regularly second guessing herself.

Horseback Riding • Advanced

Riding lessons started when she was a little thing, and as a result, she's an incredible rider. She prefers western style, but she can ride either English or Western, and has competed in both.

Interests

Geneology

Nicole is fascinated with geneology, and where it is that she comes from and how she ties into her family. She's actually done quite a bit of research, but due to some unanswered questions that her father wouldn't answer about his biological ties, she penned a letter to her biological grandparents, which has wound up with their presence in Trader's Bend, requesting her presence, and that of her father.

Interior Design

Nicole loves to decorate, and she appreciates that her husband is willing to let her add her own touches to make their home a place where she's also comfortable. She's the kind of gal that will acquire things over a large amount of time and slowly transform spaces, especially as she learns more about decorating.

Gardening

Prior to moving in with Liam, Nicole only ever really lived at home, which means she's never had her own garden. While she used to help her mother with her garden, she's never been primarily responsible for it before, and as a result, she feels a little intimidating and has begun to read more on the subject. It will probably come more naturally than she thinks, since she's been working in her family's garden since she was a girl, but for now, she considers herself a novice and gardening an interest.

Desired Plots

Demons inside me.

Life isn't easy, and while it's not untypical for adults to unwind with alcohol from time to time, it's probably not the best idea for a barely legal adult with two parents who have addiction issues. Nicole doesn't see the problem, since neither of her parents struggle with alcohol addiction, and I see the spiral happening quickly. I'd like it if someone who cared about her (not a student) discovered that she was drinking more heavily than necessary, and in such a way that was an indication of a problem.

Judge not, lest you be judged.

At 21, Nick is really just dipping her toes into the waters of adulthood, and with this being her first year as a leader for the ranch, she's going to have to wade through some tough stuff. I'd love it if there was a kid on the ranch that was struggling (preferably in her group) that she was able to lay it all out for. I think it would be neat if they were outwardly angry, or even angry with her because she has what they see as this amazing life with perfect parents. The idea with this is that she'd potentially reality check them, and remind them that life sucks, that no one has the 'perfect life', no matter how it might seem.

You're looking for the wrong things ...

Nicole loves to see love, but it's painful for her to watch women in relationships where they are being torn down, not because the woman's in love, but because she's in love with being in love. The saying "Find a man that makes you laugh in public and scream in bed." has meaning for Nicole, and you can see it in the way that she interacts with her husband. This idea that having screaming fights in public is "normal" baffels her, and it would be neat if a girl came along that she could help.

About Ava

Pronouns: she/her
Time Zone: GMT-5
Native Language: English

Preferred Word Count: 250-800
Likely Triggers: Anything that could be potentially triggering, especially mental illness (I don't have a problem with mental illness in general, but I don't like it when it's used as a reason that a character (especially kid) behaves poorly).

Your Other Characters: Tony Brook, for now....

user posted image
nathan curry
Veterinarian • 32 YRS
ISFJ
Occupation
Veterinarian
Nickname
Nate
Pronouns
He/Him
Sexual Orientation
Homosexual
Status
Married
Partner
Ben Lyonette
Riding Style
Western
Nate came to Brook Haven to save his sisters. Nearly two years ago, the twins were involved in a fire. Ronnie's friends set it, and Bella dove in to rescue her horses -- none of whom made it out of the barn fire alive. Knowing that the girls weren't safe with their stepfather, and not trusting their biological father to do the right thing for them, Nate pulled them from the only home that they had ever known and forced them to come with him three months ago to a therapeutic horse rescue and home for troubled teens located in Montana.

He brought with him his husband of three years and the two daughters that they have been raising together. Nate's husband has settled into Trader's Bend as the pastor of the local Christian church, and Nate has had to fight fresh bigotry because of the combination of faith and sexual orientation. It's been an upheaval and a transition for everybody involved, but for Nate personally he's had to release and obtain new birds of prey, he's had to leave behind his veterinary practice, find a new falconer's association, and has had to obtain new licenses. He's doing his best to settle into the new town, but the upheaval has been hard for him.

The worst part about it for him is that his sister's aren't taking to it well. He should have have expected miracles, and he knows that (knew it then and he knows it now) but he's frustrated by the fact that neither of the girls will so much as go near their horses. Given that he went out of his way to get Ronnie's personal horse to the ranch, this has been a low blow, and Nate has been struggling with feeling rejected by his sisters.

He's done all of this for them, and he feels as though he deserves a bit of gratitude for everything that he's sacrificed to help them to get back on their feet and find healing after the fire. His relationships with his immediate family are wonderful, so why can't his sisters accept what he's trying to do when his daughters seem so eager to accept him as their father and to move on with their lives?

Storm
is
Rolls Like Thunder

Breed
American Paint Horse
Disciplines
Cutting
Application
is Offline

Pronouns
She/Her
Timezone
GMT-5
Contact
PM or Discord
42 Posts
330 Points
Wrangler
Counselor
Nate & Nick
TW: mature language
In the interest of being logical, I decided to go ahead and toss my Wranglers at Nick first, then I'll toss Logan at her. We'll see who else I can plot with her as I go. Nate and Nick both care about their students, and both of them have high expectations, but they differ in the sense that Nate is willing to let the students fail while Nick (more like her father, I'd say) will drag them out of bed by their collars if they feel that they should have the right to lounge around all day instead of getting on their feet and moving. I'm quite sure that their differences in this area area actually going to be helpful to encouraging the students to get their shit together. Rather than arguing about this, I sense that Nate is going to allow Nick to do her job even when it comes to his sisters. This is a very difficult thing for Nate, because he's accustomed to protecting Bella and Ronnie, but he's going to have to let the ranch do its job with them -- that's the reason that he enrolled them in the program in the first place. There are going to be times that it's tough for him, but if the girls start to progress due to Nick's insistence that they actually work the program, then he will allow her to do her job. They won't wind up being friends: Their relationship is to remain strictly professional as far as Nate is concerned. I get the sense from him that he doesn't like Nicole on a personal level, but that he can concede that she's able to do her job. For him, he's here because of Bella and Ronnie, and he'd just as soon be back to his real world job of curing sick animals. I'm interested to see what this sort of purely professional relationship is going to look like!
Hit me back!
isabella curry
Student • 15 YRS
ISTJ
Occupation
Student
Nickname
Bella
Pronouns
She/Her
Sexual Orientation
Bisexual
Status
Single
Partner
Owen Dorsey
Riding Style
English
Nearly two years ago, the barn that housed Bella's five horses burned to the ground. The fire was set by carelessness during one of her twin sister Ronnie's wild drinking parties. Ronnie has always kept the wrong sort of friends while Bella stayed in her hole and wrote in her journal or drew in her notebooks. While both girls were equally abused by their stepfather, they responded differently to the abuse.

And they responded differently to the fire as well. Two of Ronnie's horses made it out of the fire, but none of Bella's did, and though Ronnie's horses have since been sold by their stepfather as retribution for what she did (and because Ronnie refused to interact with them after the fire), Bella suffers the loss of her animals acutely. She saw them die, and she cannot imagine anything worse than that.

Half of Bella's body -- as is Ronnie's -- is covered with burn scars acquired when she struggled to pull her horses out of the blaze. The scars have made Bella self-conscious to the point of aggression. She won't allow people to get close to her and sometimes refuses to participate in group activities as a result of the scars.

It's making a lot of trouble for the people on the ranch, and the fact that Bella's been put into the group that her brother leads hasn't made things any easier on her. Nate's been strict and demanding with her, with high expectations of excellence when all she wants is to lay in bed all day.

The last thing that she wants is to bond with another horse. It's too difficult when she loses them. But the ranch has given her a "special" horse, a damaged thoroughbred that some have said only a real horse whisperer can handle. Will a broken girl be able to heal a broken horse?

Tokyo
is
Lost in Translation

Breed
Thoroughbred
Disciplines
Eventing
Application
is Offline

Pronouns
She/Her
Timezone
GMT-5
Contact
PM, Shipper, or Intro
66 Posts
525 Points
Wrangler
Mustang
Bella & Nick
TW: Depression, Eating Disorders
Going in, I think that we both have a solid idea of how this is going to go. Bella's going to refuse to get out of bed, Nick's going to drag her out kicking and screaming. Bella's going to smack Nick in the nose, Nick's going to put Bella on wood chopping duty. Bella's going to refuse to chop wood, Nick's going to attempt to force her by telling her she doesn't eat until she chops. Bella's going to shrug and go back to her cabin, and the cycle is going to start over again. In short, this is going to be tough to deal with. I'm going to be honest about this: I don't want Bella to be as difficult as she is, but it's not something that I can help with her. Part of me thinks I should have waited to bring in another handful of students before Bella came along to rock the ranch's world, because she's more than just an eating disorder, she's a very tough nut to crack. Their relationship is going to be very rough to begin with. Bella obviously needs somebody to push her, and Nicole's going to have to learn how to get through to her. Food obviously isn't going to be a motivator, nor will her horse, so Bella's going to need sterner discipline to get her to follow through on the punishments that she's issued. Not being permitted to go back to her cabin would be a good way to handle it, though using reward consequences will probably wind up having the best result over time. After all, there are things that Bella wants but doesn't currently have (like her colored pencils and pens). What I've already given you is an obvious, easy direction for a thread if you happened to want to go there.
Hit me back!

logan brook
Brook Haven Owner • 48 YRS
ESFP
Occupation
Brook Haven Owner
Nickname
Logan
Pronouns
He/Him
Sexual Orientation
Heterosexual
Status
Married
Partner
Amber Brook
Riding Style
Western
Logan is the current owner of Brook Haven Ranch, and the founder of its program for troubled teens. A former troubled kid himself, he came to the ranch addicted to cocaine, unable to find his way, and angry with his biological parents for giving up on him. He can relate to the kids on the ranch, from the struggle with behavioral trouble to the frequent struggle with drugs, and he knows what it's like to be the child of parents who gave up on him.

He has a lot to give to the teens at Brook Haven Ranch, and he's opened the ranch up to these kids so that they can grow into people who are able to take care of themselves and contribute to society. His program is one that focuses on making sure that the students learn how to be their best selves, while increasing their confidence and their trust in themselves and the people around them.

Logan is the father figure of the ranch. He can be strict with the students, but only because he knows what it's like to be one of them, and he does his best to provide them with the discipline and structure that they need while also making sure that the teens on the ranch know that they have people who care about them and that there will always be a place for them whenever they need it.

Addiction has a big place in Logan's life, and he recognizes that he's either in recovery or in relapse. Right now he's in relapse, and attempting to hide it from his wife, his daughter, his parents, his brothers, and his sister. When they find out, there's sure to be some drama for Logan, who has to get back on the wagon or risk losing everything that he's build on the ranch.

When it comes down to it, Logan will do anything necessary to help the teenagers that the ranch serves, even if it involves a personal risk or giving up something to save those kids. They come before himself, and when push comes to shove, hard decisions will be made in favor of the troubled teens program, no matter what it means for Logan.

Free Image Hosting at FunkyIMG.com

Veritas
is
Truth be Told

Breed
Quarter Horse
Disciplines
Trail Riding
Application
is Offline

Pronouns
She/Her
Timezone
GMT-5
Contact
PM or Intro
77 Posts
595 Points
Brook Haven
Owner
Dad & Nicole
At the end of the day, Nicole is Logan's request, so we know what their relationship is all about. He has spent her entire life riding her ass, pushing her to do more, to be more, to work harder, to be better. He's never let go of being hard on her, mostly because the pair of them are so alike. From Logan's perspective, this means (at least in part) that Nicole is at an increased risk of turning out like her father did -- a drug addict with nowhere to go but up. Only even now "up" isn't the direction Logan's headed in, which is making him all the more hard on his daughter. We both know that the confrontation is coming, and we also both know how much I want time to play with it before intervention happens and Logan is out of the picture on the board for a while "at rehab." In the meantime, he's going to continue to push her to do more and to do better, regardless of what it is that she's doing. Of all of the ranch's staff, she's going to be the one that he's the hardest on, and that is obviously going to be tough for her, especially in light of his relationships with Harrison (requested) and Sierra. I don't think that this needs much more definition than that!
Hit me back!

rebekah brook
Therapist • 26 YRS
ENFP
Occupation
Therapist
Nickname
Bekah
Pronouns
She/Her
Sexual Orientation
Heterosexual
Status
Married
Partner
Simon Brook
Riding Style
Western
Sweet natured and giving, Rebekah Brook is a friendly face around the ranch. She worked the program as a teenager, and met Simon Brook when she was in college. They married and returned home, only for her to discover that he was, in fact, one of Brooks who owned the ranch where she had spent her adolescence. It wasn't amusing at first, but as time went on, it became a personal inside joke, and Bekah became a friendly face around the ranch, someone who understood the kids better than most -- including her husband -- and who would bend over backward to make the newcomers as comfortable as she could.

Bekah is generally considered to be one of the most approachable adults on the ranch. She is considerate, kind, and compassionate, and she tends to see the students for the people they are beneath their troubles. Of all the adults on the ranch, she's the last one to judge one of the students based on their troubles. After all, she's had her fair share of struggles as well.

She's currently pregnant, which limits her activities quiet a bit, but Bekah still does her best to keep up with the kids on the ranch and to help them as much as she can. Adjustment is a process as far as she's concerned, and most kids settle down once they have the opportunity to know that somebody on the ranch actually cares for them.

A very hands-on adult, Bekah goes out of her way to spend time with the kids in a personal setting, and she reaches out to them individually, particularly when they're struggling. Even on her toughest days, she eats with the kids, checks in on them in their dorms, and provides room for them to communicate with her. If they can't or don't want to communicate, she's more than happy to just hold space for them.

Maddie
is
Midnight Madness

Breed
Quarter Horse
Disciplines
Barrel Racing
Application
is Offline

Pronouns
She/Her
Timezone
GMT-5
Contact
PM or Intro
58 Posts
400 Points
Brook Haven
Co-Owner
Beckah & Nick
There's obviously not a tremendous age gap between Bekah and Nick, mostly because Bekah married so young. You have an aunt who's only a year older than you, so this is something that I'm sure you can understand. The difference between Bekah and your aunt is that Bekah's not trying to be more grown up than Nick now that NIck's an adult herself; She's a lot more interested in building a strong, trusting relationship with her niece than she is in lording it over her. The potential friendship for these two is big enough that I think it's something that we should cover. Given that Bekah is Simon's wife, I think that there's room for her to totally understand how overbearing Logan can be. At the same times, she worked the program when she was younger, and so she knows that Logan has his heart in the right place. Therefore, their relationship could go one of two ways. Either Bekah is going to be understanding of where Nicole's coming from, or she's going to defend Logan's desire for his daughter to have it all. That being said, Bekah's going to notice how much room Logan gives Sierra to grow and thrive, while he's so restrictive of Nicole. This isn't just a perception on Nicole's part: It's real as far as Bekah's concerned, and it infuriates her that Sierra isn't being given the same opportunities that Nick is. It's a reversal of Nicole's perspective on the situation, but Bekah feels that Nicole is who she is in large part because of how hard Logan was on her when she was younger. Now she's raising three beautiful children, married to an amazing man, and her life is put together. Not everybody gets those opportunities, and she has them in part because Logan was tough on her. I'd love to get them together though to see what they might do. We talked about running the board seasonally, so what sorts of spring activities do you think Bekah and Nicole could get into?
Hit me back!

emily schuster
English III Teacher • 27 YRS
ESFJ
Occupation
English III Teacher
Nickname
Emily
Pronouns
She/her/hers
Sexual Orientation
Homosexual
Status
Single
Partner
Riding Style
Western
Raggedy Anne
is
Raggedy Anne

Breed
American Warmblood
Disciplines
Reining
Application
Ben
is Offline

Pronouns
He/him/his
Timezone
GMT-5
Contact
PM
64 Posts
370 Points
Brook Haven
Teacher
Nicole & Emily
I'd actually like to see Nicole and Emily develop some sort of friendship, eventually, but it might take them a while to get there.

Emily's snootiness might get dialed up a little while dealing with a woman meaningfully younger who's also the boss' daughter, and I imagine that might not go over well with Nicole.

The obvious way for that to come out might be in a disagreement over how to handle a situation involving one of the Wranglers who's taking Emily's class. Emily can be a little rigid, so maybe she decides to handle a situation one way, Nicole has a reason for thinking a different way would be better, and Emily gets kind of stubborn about it.

Hit me back!
liam holmes
Rancher • 29 YRS
isfp
Occupation
Rancher
Nickname
Liam
Pronouns
he/him/his
Sexual Orientation
heterosexual
Status
married
Partner
Nicole Holmes
Riding Style
Western
Bee
is
Bit O Honey

Breed
AQH
Disciplines
Roping
Application
is Offline

Pronouns
she/her/hers
Timezone
GMT-5
Contact
PM for Discord
19 Posts
195 Points
Trader's Bend
Local
Liam & Nicole
Now that he's in play, I'm going to reply to that thread you tagged him in lol Also, we're going to actually done of their barbecues!
Hit me back!
hyung daesung
Student • 17 YRS
ENTJ
Occupation
Student
Nickname
Davey
Pronouns
he/him/his
Sexual Orientation
pansexual
Status
single
Partner
none
Riding Style
English
Connie
is
Jumping to Conclusions

Breed
Saddlebred
Disciplines
Eventing
Application
is Offline

Pronouns
she/her/hers
Timezone
GMT-5
Contact
PM for Discord
30 Posts
295 Points
Wrangler
Mustang

Daesung & Nicole
He'll love that! Daesung needs the intellectual stimulation. He'd be very happy to do some online courses!
Hit me back!

<>
<>
agatha charles
• YRS
Occupation
Nickname
Pronouns
Sexual Orientation
Status
Partner
Riding Style
is

Breed
Disciplines
Application
is

Timezone
Contact
0 Posts
Nic & AgathaI think these two would be super interesting too, since Agatha was around for a good chunk of Nic's life. And I did notice that Nic likes to have a drink (beer, wine, or whiskey on the rocks) at the end of each day. Agatha ends her week with two Whiskey neats on Friday evenings. I like the idea that Nic gets a kick out of Agatha, and that she lets Aggie fuss about stuff then it s like "ok, is that out of your system now?"It would be nice to see them have a relationship where Agatha watched Nic grow into a strong, independent woman; and Nic has watched Agatha be -- well Agatha lol. And because of this maybe they share a common love and respect for the other person that doesn't always need to be expressed in words. What I'm kind of thinking is that Agatha can see when Nic is having a tough time, and she'll invite her over for a whiskey. She is willing to offer that kind of quiet support where she'll sit and listen to Nic, or just sit with in silence and enjoy her whiskey. Hit me back!

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Affiliates
Resources & Directories
RPG-D
Sister Sites
Static
Scrolling
Skin coded by Devin exclusively for Brook Haven Ranch.