WRANGLER
TRAILBLAZER
WELLWADER
PATHFINDER
RIDGERUNNER
WINDCHASER
CLIFFHANGER
Welcome to Brook Haven!
Welcome to Brook Haven Ranch! We are a 18+ premium role playing community set in Trader's Bend, Montana. Our concept is the culmination of twenty years of plotting and planning. We feature a rich, developed program in which many troubled characters thrive. Our community is one of the best on jcink and we look forward to you becoming a part of it!
Healing Horses & Troubled Teens since 1995
Not every teenager has the benefit of growing up in a loving, happy home. Some are victims of abuse, neglect, a system that shuffles them from foster home to foster home. Brook Haven Ranch was established in 1995 as a refuge for abused and neglected horses -- and teenagers who needed a second chance in life and the opportunity to become something more than society expects of them.
Updates
8/25/2017 - Revamp Executed! 11/3/2017 - Holiday Event Launched!

STAFF SEARCH!

Add Reply
New Poll

#32 Weekly Encouragement (Monthly!), November 3rd
OTTER
Admin • 37 YRS
INFJ
Occupation
Admin
Nickname
Devin
Pronouns
She/Her
Sexual Orientation
Bisexual
Status
Taken by
Partner
Riding Style
Western
This is the mini bio...
N/A
is
N/A

Breed
N/A
Application
is Offline

Pronouns
She/Her
Timezone
GMT-5
Contact
PM
468 Posts
4465 Points
Community Team
Administrator
Happy November!
Before I get into all the awesome stuff y'all ought to be looking forward to every week, I'm going to tell you something about the Weekly Encouragements. As I stated last week, it's come to the staff's attention that y'all aren't reading the Weeklies. They take a lot of effort from me. The average weekly encouragement takes me six hours to write. Some weeks they take up to ten, and even on the weeks I put out a short weekly they take me about four hours to write, edit, and format. For real. This is a lot of work to put into something that people aren't reading thoroughly or engaging with. The staff has discussed this at some length, and we have determined that while there are some great features that I would ordinarily put into each weekly encouragement, we've decided that it makes more sense to do a full newsletter monthly and update only the basic things weekly. This means, in essence, that we will continue to do the check-ins, to update the menu, and to welcome new members every week. Then, the first Friday of each month, I will release a "Monthly" which will include the features that our staff loves to put into these for you. I would appreciate feedback on this. Please include your feedback in your weekly check-in form. This will help me to determine how best to proceed. We realize that some of you dislike the check-in process and that some of our members would prefer regular (monthly) activity checks over these member check-ins. I'd like to take this opportunity to reiterate that there is a reason that we do this the way that we do. This is how we ascertain who is with us on a week-by-week basis so that we can open up reserved or claimed faces and account for inactive characters. Because we do have so many characters we feel that it is more fair to members and potential members to know who is still with us wanting to be active and who isn't. If you are working on an application, you still need to check in! We have a long application, and we don't put a time limit on how long you can take to do it. We've had new members take six weeks on applications before. You can take as long as you want as long as you check in. When applicants don't check in, we have no way of knowing if they are still working on their applications. For this reason, we hold applying members to the same standard as approved members. If you do not check in twice during a calendar month, your account(s) will be deleted, and your application archived. If you were still in the process of applying when this happens, we are unlikely to accept your application subsequent. Please be aware of this! From this point forward, your only reminder to check in will be the alert you receive when tagged in the Weekly Newsletter. NOW! We have some exciting things starting for you here in November. Did you know that this site has now been open for thirteen months? Guys, we made it past a year at this location! We've had one major slump, prior to our "official" opening, but we've made it this far. We're now talking about five year goals! I hope you guys will stick with us to see everything that Brook Haven truly has to offer, and that you'll participate in the site by contributing actively as a member of Brook Haven Ranch! I've got a lot I want to talk to you about this month, so please read on!
We Want to See More...
Once in a while around here, something so remarkable happens that I have to point it out. I'll admit that a lot of the time, I wind up using this section to passive-aggressively corral members into doing the right thing. Not only doesn't it work, but it's not appropriate. I want to start out this month (this year for those of us with pagan faith) by pointing you in the direction of our COMMUNITY GUIDELINES. If you haven't read them, DO! If you haven't read them in a while, READ THEM NOW! We have a lot of information on this site, but when it comes to the way that we treat one another, this is the most important document on the entire site. I'm asking everybody to review this document at the beginning of this month, and to apply it to your weekly/monthly check-in form for this week/month. To show that you re-read it (and that you read this message), please be sure to put something you like about our community into our Weekly form for this week. We love it when members read the community guidelines. It stands out this week (and I intend to be direct this week!) because one of our newest members has proven through her behavior and actions that she has put the effort into reading this and to following its guidelines. I am so proud of this person, and what she has done for this site in the short time that she's been here, that I want to point her out to you. I want all of us (yes, including me!) to follow her lead more than we have been. If there is one thing I love most about this site, it's our potential to be a close-knit community of people -- a site where there's only one clique and everybody's in it. Apple has followed our guidelines brilliantly, and I want the rest of you to see what she's doing, and to follow her lead. May we all demonstrate this level of leadership! So what is it that I've seen this week that I want to see more of every week? It's basic things that all of us are capable of doing!
  1. Read other people's applications. Guys, this is so important, and too few of you do it. I feel like y'all get anxious when I ask you to compliment somebody's characters, but you ought to be able to read an app and find something you love about the character you just read. How do you expect to roleplay with a character whose app you didn't read?
  2. Ask other people about their characters. I get it: Your own character is the most important to you. Trust me, I understand; Mine are the most important to me, too! (Whoah, there! She said it!) Think of it this way: Everybody loves to talk about their character(s) the most. When you ask about them, you give them the opportunity to do so, and you make the other person feel good. I'll get into this in a moment.
  3. Offer genuine, real praise to your peers. Our weekly encouragement form offers a reminder and an opportunity to say something encouraging about another one of our members. You would not believe how awesome it makes someone feel to hear that you've thought about them, read their applications, and so on. Genuine praise or compliments in this section have a remarkable effect on the other person, and will often make that person more open to plotting and playing with your character(s).
  4. Praise rather than criticize. On the whole, the staff tries to find ways to compliment our members rather than criticizing them. We use criticism when necessary in order to "get the job done" but we try to be uplifting with our members. Please keep disparaging remarks to yourself, even if it's the staff you are disparaging. You'd be surprised how much some criticism can bring us down. We need encouragement too!
I can only truly speak for myself, but I also understand human nature. The more that someone praises me or my characters, the more I like that person. Isn't that how most of us work? If you tell me what you love about this character or that character, I will often go out of my way to read your character and find something that I love about them -- and tell you about it. If you show an interest in me as a person, I will be more interested in you as a person. The opposite is also true: If the only thing you ever talk about is your own character or yourself, I'll get bored, since it's obvious that you don't care about me: Only yourself. I believe that the same goes for most people. Most people want to talk most about the things they care the most about. The thing most people care the most about is themselves. While I can't promise that showing an interest in somebody else will cause them to be more interested in you, I can tell you that showing an interest in somebody else will make them want to hang around you more. The more they want to hang around you, the more they will want to plot and post with you -- and that's the whole point, isn't it?
We're Encouraging...
This week, I encourage all of you to provide strong, positive feedback to at least one other member. In truth, I want to see you guys doing this all the time. If not every day then every week. Find somebody who you think has done a remarkable job of something (and don't forget that the staff counts as people, too!), and give them some feedback. For example, I appreciate the way that Ben gives me choices in how to respond to Nick's assault on Will. He doesn't power play (force Will to take a hit), he doesn't metagame (say that Will is doing something that he might not otherwise do or read his mind), and he doesn't god-mode (he takes direct hits on Nick's person, too). Or I love the way that Louisa depicts Viola's awareness of her surroundings in her posts. Ze manages to address small things that other people might not notice, and it's especially remarkable because ze doesn't do this with all of zher characters, just with the one most apt to notice small changes in environment. Or I enjoy how atmospheric Nala's posts are for Dawn. She does a great job of setting the scene and then following through. Her posts give me a bit of a thrill because there is so much detail, and she does a great job of showing what's going on in the thread rather than telling. I want, as a writer, to be more like Nala. Everybody should be able to do this with other members of this site. If you can't, then either you aren't putting enough effort into getting to know your peers on this site or this ultimately isn't the right site for you. So this week, and every week going forward, I'd like to see our members make a concerted effort to praise their peers for something specific and genuine. Use my examples above for specificity, and please avoid things like "John is a good writer." Find something that you love about the way that one of your co-members writes or roleplays, and give them genuine, positive feedback on that thing. This is how we build our sense of community, and it's important.
Please Read!
Oh, did you think I meant to read this specific section? No. I'm asking you to please read our files. Please read other members' applications. Please read the entire Weekly Encouragement every week. Somebody has put a lot of effort into whatever written material you run into on the site. Often it's me (I wrote all of the files and write the Weekly Encouragement every week). Sometimes it's River (she writes the events). Most most of the time, the writing I want you to read is one another's applications. Take the time to actually read what someone has written. Engage with it. Take part in it. Be involved with it. Most of all, I want you guys to review the files. I'm including this in this week's Weekly Check-In, and I've included some code-words in the files that I'm asking you all to include in your check in forms for this week. Yes, I'm going hard-core, but I want y'all to take the time to review those files that are most important to your presence here. This includes our Dress Code and Student Rules. This is especially critical in light of the upcoming events for the Winter Holidays!
Pro Tip!
Respond to your partner's cues in their post. Unless you are intentionally ignoring a cue (i.e. your character is so lost in thought that they miss something their partner said), you should make an effort to respond to the cues your partner gave you. The best role players cue their partners. Most of the time, this includes both an action cue and a line cue. I've talked about this at length before, but what I mean to suggest is that a good post cues your partner both by doing something and by saying something. By this point I expect all of our members to know this, as I've talked a lot about it. I'll probably cycle back around to it in coming months as we gain new members who haven't heard this information before. In brief, I'll explain before I get into the grit of what I want to tell you this month.
  1. Always provide an action for your partner to reply to. Your character should do something.
  2. Usually provide dialog for your partner to respond to. Your character should say something (open-ended).
That's it! So, on to what I want to address this week. One of the things that frustrates me more than anything else in role play (to the point that, if you look at my more recent applications, you'll note that it's listed as a limit for me) is when my partner ignores my cues.. This is irritating, not only for me, but for anyone who puts effort into producing cues for their partner. I relate role play to acting more than to writing. When I "scored" a script in my acting days, I used the following steps:
  1. Read the script.
  2. Highlight my lines in yellow.
  3. Highlight my line cues in blue.
  4. Highlight my action cues in orange.
While there are some obvious differences between acting and writing, it is helpful to note down what your partner's character did before you begin to write your post. One way to do this is to list those cues at the top of your post, then delete them when you're done writing. For example, let's say that Character A has picked up a stick and started to thwack it against every tree along the trail. This is an action cue. Note it down at the top of your post. Your character should either respond in some way to this (preferable) or at least note that it is happening (to show that you read the post). Character A also said to your character "These hikes are so boring." This is a (weak) "line cue." Note it down at the top of your post. Your character should respond in some way to this line cue (preferable) or notably ignore it (by writing that your character chose not to respond). It is impolite not to respond to your partner's cues. We all make this mistake from time to time, but I want to stress how important it is for members to pay attention to the cues that their partner gives them and to respond appropriately to those cues.
New Events!
Come celebrate the Winter Holidays at Brook Haven Ranch! Please note that on November 17th, we will be retiring the Halloweekends Events. You will still be able to post to them but the category will be hidden from view in order to clean up the main board a little bit. Because of the scope of our events, these boards get long and take up a lot of space on the board. Not to worry! I'll make sure that Halloweekends category appears in the forum jump! You may continue to post to threads in this category until they are finished. From this point forward, no new threads should be posted in Halloweekends. Feel free to make new posts for the Winter Wonderland Events!
Otter's Check In
Why would you encourage a new member to join Brook Haven? Because, in absolute honesty, you're never going to find another site like this. I get that you might not like long applications, and I get that your face claim might be in use or reserved, but this is an experience that you're not going to get on any other site. A few have come and gone, but Brook Haven has seen through five years with the same setting, four years with the same core characters, and it provides a unique and authentic experience for players. If you're interested in playing an emotionally-real headperson, then this site is going to be one of the best to serve your needs. What's your favorite thing about Brook Haven? Not going to lie: I love the character development. I love our application and the opportunity to dig so deep with characters. One of my favorite things is the fact that I can see several of my characters at every life stage from toddler through to adulthood (and some into elderhood) because the sense of authenticity on this site is so remarkable. That's one of my favorite things about Brook Haven. Say something nice about the person who posted above you: Nala, I liked you from the moment that you joined Brook Haven. I remember being in the car on the way home from Chicago and talking to you, anxious because it had been a rough week and here we had new members pouring in that week. You're the only one left from that time period, and I think you've stuck in part because you fit here like a hand in a glove. You're creative in all of the right ways and you're a remarkable writer. You do "show, don't tell" better than pretty much any other writer on this site. You're outstanding! Say something nice about a character played by the person above you: Well, I've said a lot about Dawn. One of the things about being, well, me is that I have a lot of characters and not so many characters for me to give feedback on. I'd like to mention Jackie. She's barely started, let alone finished, but I wanted to say that I love how you've used your knowledge of teenagers to apply to her background in a way that is unique and which I anticipate to be interesting. Specifically, I'm referring to the IED (that's intermittent Explosive Disorder, by the way). Did you read this newsletter? I wrote it. Did you read the Community Guidelines? Yes, I've reviewed them. Did you review the Dress Code? I wrote that, too. Did you review the Student Rules? Also these. I wrote these. Are you dropping any characters this week? Nope!
Weekly Cooking Schedule
The entire spreadsheet won't fit comfortably into one of our templates; Therefore we've chosen to update this weekly as part of our weekly encouragements. We'll be giving you a three-week span, as this is generally the time frame in which our members are starting threads. We now supply a full menu for the current week. You may view it by clicking here. We now have the new summer menus! This is the first week of summer menus, and there will be four that will rthotate throughout the season! Week 44 (Oct 29th - Nov 4th)
Breakfast: Trailblazer Lunch: Ridgerunner Dinner: Pathfinder
Week 45 (Nov 5th - Nov 11th)
Breakfast: Wellwader Lunch: Cliffhanger Dinner: Ridgerunner
Week 46 (Nov 12th - Nov 18th)
Breakfast: Pathfinder Lunch: Windchaser Dinner: Wellwader
Heart Awards
Heart Awards look like this: But what on earth is a heart award? A heart award is an award that our members send to one another. It's a way of saying "I'm thinking about you." It's a way of saying "I'm sorry." It's a way of saying "You're appreciated." It's a way of saying "good job" from one member to another. The color of the hearts will change from month to month much the way that the monthly collectible jewels do, so you'll be able to track when you've received a heart award. So how do they work? Well, you complete the following form, and then you send this form to one of the administrators. We will add the heart to the member's profile, and we will send them a personal message with a note about the receipt of the heart and the reasons that they were gifted with their heart. You may send as many hearts to as many members as you wish, so send away! Here's the form:
CODE
[ooc] [b]Your Alias:[/b] [b]Their Alias:[/b] [b]Reason for Gifting the Heart:[/b] [b]Anonymous?[/b] [/ooc]
Check-In!
Remember that we have WEEKLY CHECK-INS for our members. This means that once per week, you need to post in the Weekly Encouragement to let us know that you plan to remain active. You may only miss ONE of these each month, so try to stick with us and check in. We'll be sorting the members who did and did not check in here as of NEXT WEEK so you need to complete this form by next Friday morning. Please note that going forward, we will only be counting completed weekly check-in forms. Approved members will need to complete each field in the approved member form. Applying members now have a separate form. Remember that these forms are intended to be uplifting, and forms which are used to criticize or demean members will not be counted. Thank you for your understanding.

The Following Members Have Not Checked in!

The Following Members are At Risk

The following members either did not check in last week or do not have either an approved character or a work in progress and therefore are at risk of losing their claims and accounts. Please check in this week to protect your accounts, claims, and characters!

The Following Members are On Hiatus

The following members have an approved hiatus for this week.
  • none!

The Following Members are Inactive

Their accounts will be deleted on October 6th if they fail to become active before that date. Their claims are forfeited and any applications have been archived.

Check In Form (Accepted)

CODE
[open]Checking In![/open][body][b]Member Name/Alias:[/b] [b]Why would you encourage a new member to join Brook Haven?[/b] [b]What's your favorite thing about Brook Haven?[/b] [b]Say something nice about the person who posted above you:[/b] [b]Say something nice about a character played by the person above you:[/b] If they don't have a character, say something nice about them! [b]Did you read this newsletter?[/b] [b]Did you read the Community Guidelines?[/b] [b]Did you review the Dress Code?[/b] [b]Did you review the Student Rules?[/b] [b]Are you dropping any characters this week?[/b] [/body]

Check In Form (Applying)

CODE
[open]Checking In![/open][body][b]Member Name/Alias:[/b] [b]What made you join Brook Haven?[/b] [b]Say something nice about the person who posted above you:[/b] [b]Did you read this newsletter?[/b] [b]Did you read the Community Guidelines?[/b] [b]Did you review the Dress Code?[/b] [b]Did you review the Student Rules?[/b] [b]Have you reserved your face claim?[/b] [/body]
Please note that everyone who is tagged above MUST check in, regardless of whether they have an accepted character or not. If you do not check in, you may be marked inactive and lose your claims!
BEN
N/A • N/A YRS
INTP
Occupation
N/A
Nickname
N/A
Pronouns
N/A
Sexual Orientation
N/A
Status
N/A
Partner
Riding Style
Western
is

Breed
Disciplines
Application
Ben
is Offline

Pronouns
He/him/his
Timezone
GMT-5
Contact
PM
91 Posts
220 Points
Community Team
Checking In!
Member Name/Alias: Ben
Why would you encourage a new member to join Brook Haven? Brook Haven has a cooking schedule. It says which groups cook each week, and what they're cooking. So if you're writing a thread where food comes up - and we end up with plenty of threads about cooking or eating - you know exactly what they ate that day.
What's your favorite thing about Brook Haven? Related to the above, the detailed setting. Whenever I need an idea for a thread, I just browse through the information about he place until some facet I hadn't thought much about pops out.
Say something nice about the person who posted above you: Otter, you're an amazing person. You spend so much time and energy caring about other people, paying attention to other people's feelings, and being there for people.
Say something nice about a character played by the person above you: I think Thomas is a fantastic character (you know I'm a sucker for people who are deeply sympathetic, but can still make things difficult for other characters), but I particularly love the way you handle writing his illness - the way you manage to emphasize how frail he is physically in large part by narrating how hard he's resisting the way that could limit him.
Did you read this newsletter? Every week without fail, including this one.
Did you read the Community Guidelines? Yup
Did you review the Dress Code? Yes
Did you review the Student Rules? Yes
Are you dropping any characters this week? No
APPLE
N/A • N/A YRS
ISFJ
Occupation
N/A
Nickname
APPLE
Pronouns
N/A
Sexual Orientation
N/A
Status
N/A
Partner
Riding Style
Western
is

Breed
Disciplines
Application
is Offline

Pronouns
She/Her
Timezone
GMT
Contact
PM
5 Posts
125 Points
Roleplay
Checking In!
Member Name/Alias: Apple

Why would you encourage a new member to join Brook Haven? This is the most welcoming site you'll ever find, honestly. From the second you first say hello in the cbox, everyone (the staff team especially!) is lovely, engaging, and supportive! You’re all great <3

What's your favorite thing about Brook Haven? You mean, aside from everyone being absolutely incredible? I’ve never seen a site like Brook Haven before -- and I bet that’s an impression a lot of people will have. From the absolute depth of the files (again, huge kudos to the staff team -- you can see how much work you put into the site and writing all the files; it shows!), to all the excellent apps written by members, to the countless opportunities for character development and telling a really quality story -- Brook Haven is excellent, and I’m excited to get more stuck in!

Say something nice about the person who posted above you: [Confession: I started writing this before someone else posted, and I figured I’d say something nice about you both -- because why not!]

Otter, you’re one of the nicest and most dedicated admins I’ve ever seen. You’ve been so kind and helpful (answering all the questions, thank you!) and made me feel so welcome on the site! (Nine shipper replies! Nine! I don’t think I’ve ever had that happen so quickly before and it made me so happy and excited!). We appreciate all the work you put in (both as an admin, and as a member -- your apps and characters feel wholesome and real and are so, so interesting to read! The number of times I got behind when making Griffin because I started reading an app of yours, and then… oops, it’s half-an-hour later and I’ve made no progress, but I don’t care because I’m learning about Yoshi, or Mattie, or following your progress on Ruby!).

Ben, I haven’t managed to catch you for more than a few fleeting moments in the cbox, but I really respect that you like to play antagonistic characters. Otter linked me to the thread you guys have with Will & Nick, and I absolutely love it. You have such a talent for writing -- and I’m really excited to get to know you better, and come up with some awesome plots with you!

Say something nice about a character played by the person above you: Ben -- I really, really like how the dialogue in your posts feels like it perfectly fits the character you’re writing. Again -- I adore the Will & Nick thread so much; the amount of times I was grinning like an idiot because Nick’s responses were so sassy and perfect and real. I haven’t had much chance to read many threads in general yet, but I’m really looking forward to reading more Nick posts (and I’d love to read some of your other ones, too!). You have a real knack for conveying your characters’ personalities into your posts, and it makes me really happy to see!

Did you read this newsletter? Yes! I’ve never seen a site do weeklies before (let alone somewhere that puts this much effort into regularly updating the community in this way) and I love it! I know you asked for feedback regarding what we think about the weeklies -- and I think they’re an excellent idea, and well worth the time/effort <3

Did you read the Community Guidelines? Yes. Brook Haven has a lovely community and I love that you guys put active effort into maintaining it <3

Did you review the Dress Code? Yes! And it still makes me laugh that thongs mean flip-flops in Australia.

Did you review the Student Rules? Yes! And I can't stop laughing at the rule about speaking respectfully and not using profanity, because Griffin is going to get into so much trouble.

Are you dropping any characters this week? Nope!

NALA
Student • 22 YRS
INFP
Occupation
Student
Nickname
Nala
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Sexual Orientation
Bi Romantic
Status
Single AF
Partner
Riding Style
Western
is

Breed
Disciplines
Application
is Offline

Pronouns
she/her/hers
Timezone
central
Contact
pm
19 Posts
60 Points
Roleplay
Checking In!
Member Name/Alias: Nala
Why would you encourage a new member to join Brook Haven? I would recommend Brook Haven to new members (and my rp buddies) because this is a community of understanding and likeminded people. Of all the rp sites I've been involved in, never have I found one that is so involved and yet so relaxed and not overwhelming. This site has a deep history and can be extremely involved and complex if you want it to be. However, if life throws you lemons, this place is also full of people ready to support you through whatever means necessary. You can feel like a break is okay and it allows me to not feel the need to completely abandon something I love when life throws me a curve ball and I can't post for a period of time.
What's your favorite thing about Brook Haven? My favorite thing about Brook Haven is the effort to remain realistic while playing out every individuals stories and plots. I worked at a place very similar to this and I can say bravo to those who designed it and keep it running.
Say something nice about the person who posted above you: Apple. Hey hi hello. I do not believe we have met yet but in my free time I like to sneak around everyones characters. You seem super nice and have obviously already made an impression on the site. I'm going to be slow posting for a bit here, but I hope to interact with you soon!
Say something nice about a character played by the person above you: Griffin, Griffin, Griffin. The thing that really sticks out to me about Griffin's shipper is the way you deeply got into the specifics behind his expected interactions with authority figures on the ranch. i think's it's very easy to created trouble youth characters that "don't like adults" or "don't respect authority, but in working with trouble youth in my own professional life I know that there is always a reason or a motivation for why it looks like this. I guess I just really like the way you wrote this in his shipper and made sure to clarify! I'm excited to see what he gets into at the ranch. http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/smile.gif
Did you read this newsletter? yes i did.
Did you read the Community Guidelines? yep. Reread.
Did you review the Dress Code? I am doing that right now.
Did you review the Student Rules? Yep.
Are you dropping any characters this week? Nope.
elaine wentwick
student • 15 YRS
INFP=T
Occupation
student
Nickname
ellie
Pronouns
she/her
Sexual Orientation
gay
Status
single
Partner
Riding Style
English
Ellie comes from a particularly tight-knit family in the UK, and when her grandmother died, she took it particularly hard. After embarassing herself and being outed by a girl at her school whom she asked out, she's decided that all people are either going to hurt her deliberately, or she'll get attached and something awful will happen. As a result, she's almost totally detached and the only thing that she'll make much noise for is riding Sonny, usually at a stupid speed!
sonny
is
six ways to sunday

Breed
grade horse
Disciplines
trail riding
Application
is Offline

Pronouns
he/him
Timezone
GMT+0
Contact
PM
31 Posts
235 Points
Pathfinder
Mustang
Checking In!
Member Name/Alias: James
Why would you encourage a new member to join Brook Haven? The quality of writing is first-rate, and while that might be intimidating, it's a great way to improve your own writing - find someone who seems to be doing a better job than you and try to match them!
What's your favorite thing about Brook Haven? I know just about everyone on this site at the time of writing, and I've played or am playing with about half of them!
Say something nice about the person who posted above you: Let me get back to you!
Say something nice about a character played by the person above you: Let me get back to you!
Did you read this newsletter? I did, but that was at the start of the day about ten hours ago, so I can't recall very much apart from reinforcing the points that people needed to actually read the community guidelines and be unselfish with their compliments!
Did you read the Community Guidelines? Yes!
Did you review the Dress Code? Yes.
Did you review the Student Rules? Yes.
Are you dropping any characters this week? NOPE!
RIVER
Admin • 26 YRS
INFP
Occupation
Admin
Nickname
Ava
Pronouns
she/her
Sexual Orientation
Bisexual
Status
Involved
Partner
Otter
Riding Style
Western
N/A
is
N/A

Breed
N/A
Disciplines
N/A
Application
is Offline

Pronouns
she/her
Timezone
GMT-5
Contact
PM or Intro
144 Posts
2565 Points
Events Team
Administrator
Checking In!
Member Name/Alias: River

Why would you encourage a new member to join Brook Haven? I've been doing this for a long time, and I'm going to be honest .... I've never seen this sort of a roleplay done as well as we do it here on BHR. Sure, there might be other sites (only a handful maybe -- point is there are others), but many of them are based off of what we do here, and most are, poorly executed. Otter and I have been doing this for a long time. We've brought a lot of original ideas to the table, and these ideas tend to benefit our members. We're incredibly detail oriented and we want your play to be as enjoyable as possible. While we are willing to work with those that aren't quite at the advanced level, we still hold everyone to a standard. This is a policy that we have in place the benefit everyone.

What I'm getting at, is that we are the best at what we do. We are an advanced roleplay, and whether your not quite advanced and are looking to improve, or are advanced and are looking to improve we are the site for you. Ultimately, we are the place for those looking to learn and grow -- it's a critical point for those looking to join -- be willing to grow and learn.

What's your favorite thing about Brook Haven? Our attention to detail. I've been slacking lately, but I plan to rectify that! The fact that we take the time to breath life into this site is one of the things (in my opinion) that makes it stand out. The setting itself is like it's own character and I love that.
Say something nice about the person who posted above you: I'm going to give Nala some love since she wasn't given any.

@NALA is quite the talented writer. I love reading her posts and the way in which she injects the environment into it without having it take over. I've been trying to do this myself, but it's actually more complicated than it seems. I love reading her posts and I look forward to more.

Say something nice about a character played by the person above you: Dawn is really quite interesting. I have a starter that I need to post for her, but I've fallen behind because I went from constantly caught up, to super behind (apologies).

Anyways. About Dawn. I love that she's a east coast gal that's not used to the western environment and that she came from a family of intellectuals. I feel like it adds another element to this character. She's going to have to adjust to a different way of thinking, and I think that's pretty awesome! She's well done, and I am very excited to play with her.

Did you read this newsletter? You betcha!

Did you read the Community Guidelines? Sure did.

Did you review the Dress Code? I did! Did you know the girls on the ranch are not permitted makeup!?! Not even eyeliner or mascara!

Did you review the Student Rules?I did! Personally, I think that's great, as is the fact that students expected to maintain their own space.

Are you dropping any characters this week? Goodness Honey, No!
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Affiliates
Resources & Directories
RPG-D
Sister Sites
Static
Scrolling
Skin coded by Devin exclusively for Brook Haven Ranch.