WRANGLER
TRAILBLAZER
WELLWADER
PATHFINDER
RIDGERUNNER
WINDCHASER
CLIFFHANGER
Welcome to Brook Haven!
Welcome to Brook Haven Ranch! We are a 18+ premium role playing community set in Trader's Bend, Montana. Our concept is the culmination of twenty years of plotting and planning. We feature a rich, developed program in which many troubled characters thrive. Our community is one of the best on jcink and we look forward to you becoming a part of it!
Healing Horses & Troubled Teens since 1995
Not every teenager has the benefit of growing up in a loving, happy home. Some are victims of abuse, neglect, a system that shuffles them from foster home to foster home. Brook Haven Ranch was established in 1995 as a refuge for abused and neglected horses -- and teenagers who needed a second chance in life and the opportunity to become something more than society expects of them.
Updates
8/25/2017 - Revamp Executed! 11/3/2017 - Holiday Event Launched!

STAFF SEARCH!

Forum Rules Tag Your Triggers!

Remember to Tag Your Triggers!
People and events in shippers are entirely fictional.

Add Reply
New Poll

i'm in no position to judge him, 17 / tenderfoot / max carver
william jenkins
Student • 16 YRS
ISTP
Occupation
Student
Nickname
Will, Billy
Pronouns
he/him
Sexual Orientation
heterosexual
Status
single
Partner
none
Riding Style
English
Polly
is
Pollyana

Breed
Irish Sport
Disciplines
Hunter/Jumper
Application
is Offline

Pronouns
she/her
Timezone
GMT-5
Contact
PM for Discord
59 Posts
600 Points
Tenderfoot
Mustang
William Jenkins
TW: rape, drug use, overdose, death of parents, long-term foster care, physical abuse, sexual abuse, attempted murder, gsw, adult language

Basics

Full Name: william percival jenkins
Nickname/Alias: will, billy
Date of Birth: november 8th, 1999
Current Age: 17
Pronouns: he/him/his
User Group: tenderfoot
Sub-Group: student

Appearance

Eye Color: green
Hair Color: brown
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 157 lbs
Scars or Marks:
  • a puckered scar slightly higher than his right knee
  • thin, raised scars covering from his lower back to just above his knees
  • raised burn scars on his shoulders, forearms, and backs of his hands
  • raised scar on his right knee and big toe

Tattoos or Piercings none
Face Claim: max carver

Personality

MBTI Type: istp
Likes: large dogs, sports (watching), music, playing piano, having friends, people watching, being left alone, dealing with his emotions alone, validation, feeling like he matters, being around people who understand, eating good sandwiches, cooking, sleep, comfortable beds, warm blankets, rainy days, not having to leave the house, talking to Noah, being close with his brother, pain medications, not being forced into occupational therapy
Dislikes: physical therapy, occupational therapy, loud noises, guns, banging noises, being stood over, large men, belts that are not on the pants, being made to talk about what happened to him, being separated from noah, being talked over, bullies, being touched, having his chair touched, the word "can't," being told what he can and can't do, lack of free time, foster care, sleeping on the floor, being too cold, being too hot, clothes that don't fit, hand-me-downs
Strengths: optimistic, creative, practical, social, spontaneous, rational, loving, affectionate, quick thinker, puts others before himself, respectful, courteous, considerate, confident, generous, committed, honest, relaxed
Weaknesses: shy, private, reserved, insensitive, stubborn, risk taker, limitless, disobedient, self-motivated, powerless, abused, disabled, addicted, struggles with social settings, unmotivated to change
Fears: losing Noah, being shot again, loud noises, horses, falling from a horse, never walking again, walking again, being touched, people moving him when he doesn't want to be moved, being shouted at
Secrets: if Noah hadn't stepped in, will would have been the one holding the gun when he got shot -- and he probably wouldn't have missed
Vices: prescription pain medications (mostly percocet)
Aspirations: to walk again (some day), to ride in an equestrian event, to graduate high school, to get married, to hold down a job (any job)

Psychology

Divergence: Mental Illnesses or neurodivergences
Risk Factors: What things put your character at risk of mental illness or self-harm?
Current Treatment: Is your character currently receiving treatment for mental illness?

Brook Haven Referral

Referred by: carlton bradford, social worker
Referred for: symptoms of depression (including hopelessness), lack of progress with addiction and occupational therapy, to preserve the family unit
Problem Areas: addicted to opiates, demonstrating symptoms of depression, needs occupational therapy if he wants to walk again

Relationships

Romantic Orientation: heteroromantic
Sexual Orientation: heterosexual
Relationship Status: single
Significant Other: none

Lifestyle

Career/Occupation: student
Education: 9th grade (he lost a year in recovery)
Dream Job: astronomer
Home Town: missoula, montana
Religion: agnostic

Equestrian Life

Preferred Riding Style: english
Disciplines: dressage, show jumping, hunter/jumper
Riding Strengths: excellent communication with horse, willingness to learn
Riding Weaknesses: issues with seat, posture, lack of strength in left leg

In the Beginning...

I don't remember things that happened to me before the accident so much as I remember the people. Several of them marked my life, one by one trudging through it, in and out and through it like a weaver builds a tapestry. They've defined me more than the events in my life, more even than the accident itself (which took away my ability to walk the way that other boys my age walk). So I'll tell you about the people in my life, the people who loved me and who I loved; the people who hated me and the people who I hated; the people who hurt me and the people who I hurt. It works both ways. That's something I've had to learn the hard way. If you stay with me through this battle, maybe you'll begin to understand. I'll start with my brother, and I think I'll be ending with my brother, too. He's the most important person in my life, and he always has been. We were conceived together, mirror images of one another. Even before we were born, there are pictures of us holding onto one another, photographs taken on a sonogram machine that shows that things now aren't all that different from the way that things used to be, either. He's the center of my world, and his name is Noah. When we were little, he used to climb into my bed and curl up next to me with his head on my shoulder and sucking his thumb, like I was his big brother and not his twin. Noah was born older, but I was born bigger, and even though we're mostly identical (mirror images, but identical), I'm still bigger than he is, and I probably always will be. Maybe that's why I was the one who protected him from the nightmares and the scary things that sometimes happened at night when our mother brought strange men home to her bed. She loved us -- Noah reminds me of that constantly -- but she didn't always know how to keep any of us safe. In the end, she didn't even know how to keep herself safe, but I guess that's another story. Mother was sweet. I remember that about her, that she reminded me, even when I was young, of cotton candy in the summer, standing shirtless in a pair of shorts that went to the knees and licking the sweet pink spun sugar off the paper stick they spun it onto. That was my mother, the thing that most reminds me of her in my memory. Too sweet sometimes, but also just as fragile, falling apart and melting at the slightest touch. Noah and I were spoiled as children. She could never say no to us. But that went on to other people as well: She couldn't say no to the men who offered themselves a place in her bed, and when she went out to the bars she always came home with one of them, and she nearly always got hurt. That's how she met Jorge. He was a bad man, and I knew that right from the start, but I was twelve and there wasn't much that I could do about it. She said that she loved him, and Noah and I both wanted to make her happy. She always worked to make us happy, so we wanted to do something for her. Besides, what were we going to do? Tell her that she couldn't marry somebody who she said made her happy? She got married when we were thirteen, and she died that same year. Jorge killed her. We're both sure that he was the one who pushed her down the stairs, but it could never be proven. She was pregnant at the time, with a little sister for both of us, and Jorge didn't want the baby. He yelled at her -- and at us -- all the time. He was a horrible human being who hated us and made sure that we knew that he didn't think very highly of either of us. When he could avoid it, he didn't feed us, and our mother was gone long before she got pregnant and long before she died. I was thankful that he didn't want us, but I wouldn't be thankful for very long. When we were thirteen -- right after Mom died -- we went into state care. After she died, we were sent to live in a foster home. Now that we've gotten older, Noah and I both understand that it's not normal for them to send us together. A lot of the time, siblings get separated in the system and lose one another, and even though we're twins, we were considered pretty luck to stay together in spite of the odds of our being separated by careless social workers who didn't take our need to stay together into consideration. Lucky as we may have been though, we hated the place they sent us to. It was run by a couple, a Mr. and Mrs. Mercer. I never knew their first names, only the last name that they'd assigned for themselves. Maybe that's just what we called them, and they were somebody else before that. My memory of those times and those people isn't so hot, probably because I wish they'd never happened, and that the things they did weren't part of my past. Have you ever met a really bad person, the type of person who makes you look at yourself and question everything you know? That's what I remember of Mr. Mercer, that he was the type of bad person who made me feel dirty inside and out. Looking back, I guess I thought I was a bad person because of him, and maybe I still do think that I'm a bad person (only now it's not so much because of him as it's just a thing that is and that I can't explain no matter how hard I try). Anyway, what I'm trying to tell you is that this Mr. Mercer, he was bad to us. He did horrible things to us, things I don't like to think about now, but let's just say that his wife wasn't the only one whose bed he shared, and that sometimes she hit us so hard that we had bruises that lasted for weeks. I've never known a worse person in my life ('least not until recently, talking to some of these kids here at Brook Haven, I understand it better now. I'm not making my point well here, and I'm not really sure how to say it, so I guess I'll tell it to you like the story, the way that it happened. I'd meant to tell you about the people, and specifically about Mr. Mercer, but it's harder that way. What do I say, that he was a bad man who nearly got himself shot, if I hadn't got in the way? I guess, maybe that works, but it's not the whole story, cause he was trying to hit me, and trying to hit me hard. Noah'd found the gun a week before, stowed away in the bedside table in Mr. and Mrs. Mercer's room, and he'd had it that long before they noticed it missing and Mr. Mercer came after me with that "rod" that he had. He was screaming, angry as I'd ever seen him. I swear to you the man was a snake waiting in the grass to bite one of us. That was the day that one of us bit back. I guess Noah had been planning it for a little while, because he had that gun hidden, tucked into the waistband of his pants. Problem was, he didn't know how to use it, so when he pulled the gun on our foster father, Mr. Mercer, he wasn't thinking, wasn't aiming before he pulled the trigger. I've never felt pain like that in my life, not before then and not since then. It felt like someone had set my leg on fire. Nothing's been the same since then. Noah was the one who called nine-one-one, and the doctors took one look at both of us and Mr. Mercer got arrested. I don't know about Mrs. Mercer, but I sure as hell hope they got her too. She knew everything he put us through and egged him on even when it was hurting both of us for him to do it. All I know is that she wasn't there while I recovered, and Noah never told me where he went when they made him go back "home." Maybe I should have asked, but I guess I've been afraid to find out exactly where he went all the time, but he was there for me, along with a group of nurses and more social workers than I can remember names for.

The Here and Now

I got shot when I was fifteen. It's two years later, and they've just moved me and Noah to Trader's Bend. It took that long before I could walk again, and I guess it's because of the chairs and the risk of serious disability that they split us up. Somebody said they thought that Noah would hurt me again, but I don't think that's what it really is. Everybody knows he did what he did to save me, and since it got us out of there, he'd probably do it again. Maybe that's what they're so afraid of. But it's not Noah who scares me: Sometimes I still have nightmares about Mom and the baby and Jorge. I don't think about those things, but I don't have a lot of memories from before the accident, either. Even after two years, I don't walk so great. I need a lot of help when I do, and I spend most of my time in the chair because it's that much easier than trying to make my leg do what I want it to. They're pushing me now though, and if I want to see Noah, if I want him to come here to Brook Haven, then I have to work the program and get the privileges that will bring him here. So I go for the rides and I walk until the new pain is so bad I can't stand it any more. The pain of being separated from my brother is worse than the pain in my leg.

These Boots Were Made for...?

Two years ago, Will's brother Noah accidentally shot him in the leg, damaging the nerves of his left leg as well as his femur. Since that time he has had to use a wheelchair in order to get around. His body is able to walk, but it is painful for Will to walk for any length of time, and the pain makes walking stressful. The chair itself is the main reason that he was sent to Brook Haven -- so that he could be encouraged to start working on healing the muscles, tendons, and nerves that were damaged in the incident. The bone has healed and the nerves are mostly there, but the pain has prevented him from doing the work necessary to get back on his feet properly.

Brotherly Love

Two years ago (after Will was shot), his twin brother Noah was taken to juvenile detention. He was convicted of attempted manslaughter and served an eighteen-month sentence following his trial. The twins were separated at the point of the conviction, and since that point, Will has struggled with loneliness and being separated from his brother. Will and Noah have always been extremely close to one another and the separation has been difficult for Will. Now Noah is out of juvy and his social worker has referred him to Brook Haven.

Climbing the Hill

Everything for Will right now is a struggle. Getting through every day is tough because of the pain that he's in, and the ranch doesn't always allow students to have pain relief, even when they need it. Staff has encouraged Will to get through without pain medication because it is addictive, and he is being pushed harder than ever to get up and walk, to go hiking with his group, to rappel, and to do the other activities. Will's a quiet, soft, submissive kind of kid for the most part, but when he's pushed, the "anger" part of his depression comes to the surface. This will be a challenge for him and for others.

About Will

Two years ago, Will's twin brother Noah shot him in the leg. At the time, Noah was attempting to protect Will from their foster father, a Mr. Mercer. Mr. Mercer was both physically and sexually abusive toward the boys, and at the time of the shooting, he was potentially attempting to murder Will. Noah'd had the gun for days, ready to use it in order to put the man down if he came after Will again, and in the confusion, he shot Will instead of their foster father.

Will was kept at the hospital for over a year before being released back into Foster Care. He doesn't remember much of this time period at all, and if he's asked, he will simply skip over the part where he and Noah were placed (together) into another foster home. If pressed, he will probably say that it happened as though he dreamed all of it. The home and the names aren't familiar to him and they are inconsequential. He hates to think about the things that happened in foster care or where his brother was during the time period that he was in the hospital being treated for the injury and subsequent mental illness that he suffered.

Even after two years, Will isn't walking the way that he did before the "accident." The bullet severed a nerve that, though repaired, has never been the same since, and he spends most of his time in a wheel chair. He jokes that he's developing his upper body strength, but not being able to walk well bothers him. While he's able to stand up and walk when it's imperative that he do so, he lacks the general mobility that most people his age have.

Brook Haven should be good for Will, with equine therapy to get him through the worst times in terms of his mobility and the depression that the shooting has caused him. Unfortunately, the other side of the coin is that there are likely to be people who feel sorry for him, and the last thing that Will wants (or needs) is people feeling sorry for him because he can't do what other people can. It depresses him, and that's not something he can handle especially well. The last time he felt depressed, he wound up in the hospital for months because he was a threat to himself.

Platonic

Will is confined to a wheelchair most of the time. Though he's able to walk, it's painful and stressful for him, and for that reason, he often chooses to keep himself in the wheelchair where he doesn't have to add to his discomfort by standing up and moving. His leg doesn't work properly when he does walk, and for that reason he's incredibly restricted. While he would love to have a ton of friends, and he's friendly and outgoing, chances are that his limitations are going to make it difficult for him to interact with the more active types of people, and in particular those who live and work at Brook Haven. I'll get to that (obviously) with enemies, but for right now I want to make sure that players of potential friends have a sturdy grasp on the idea that he's not going to have an easy time keeping up with his friends. They will need to be patient and considerate of his disability in order to maintain the friendship.

Likewise, Will doesn't want to be pitied, so he's going to have a hard time in this respect with friends. It's a very fine line between understanding and pitying, and he wants people in his life who are able to see past the disability while still recognizing that he's limited in what he's able to do. The last thing that he needs is to be left behind because of the chair, but there will be times that in order to join in, his friends are going to have to be willing to help him to get to where he needs to go without it. Essentially, he's going to be a challenge as a friend.

Fortunately for both Will and whoever your character happens to be, he's a good friend in several ways. While one might not call him "loyal," he's funny and has a talent for making fun of himself and others (in a good way!) that makes him pleasant to be around. He doesn't focus on the fact that his leg doesn't work the way that it's supposed to, so that's a plus for somebody like him.

Will could do with having some specific things in his life, though!

Best Friend Will could do with having somebody other than Noah occupy this spot. He's a bit obsessed with his twin brother, since they've been together for forever and were only recently separated for the first time, but he needs to have somebody who can make him forget the things that Noah wants him to remember. It would probably be best if this was a male person, but it could also be a female who understands him and doesn't pity him. The problem with girls is that in the most natural sense, they're too apt to mother somebody like him, and he'll reject this pretty much immediately.

Support Friends Will has bad moments from time to time, when he slips into depression. It's pretty normal given that his mother was murdered, he's been in foster care for a while, and his brother shot him, which has left him with limited mobility. Support friends are the people who are there for him when he's falling apart, but generally aren't the friends that he hangs out with during free time. Maybe they're part of his support group at Brook Haven? Either way, these can be guys or girls who at least try to understand his situation.

Activity Friends These are the people Will might actually do things with. He wont' be able to keep up with them and they'll probably leave him behind every now and again because it's hard to deal with a disability, but he still relies on them for entertainment. They probably get together in the main cabin sometimes to watch movies when their homework is done, and he probably rides with them when he can get the go-ahead to be on horseback without supervision from one of the instructors.

True Friends Everybody has true friends in their life, the people who will always be by their sides through thick and thin. Will needs these as much as anybody else does, and he wants me to be sure to say that he doesn't need them more than other people do, because he's really not any different than anybody else emotionally or psychologically. While this is not, strictly speaking, true, he does need to have people in his life who know him, understand him, and believe in him. These are the "true friends."

Romantic

Let me begin by telling you that Will doesn't expect to find that anybody is even remotely interested in a relationship with him. While he's bisexual (bordering on pansexual) and the gender of an individual doesn't matter much to him, he has a lot of problems with his self-esteem. The likelihood that somebody is going to express an interest in him given his wheelchair-bound status is slim, and he understands that love probably isn't in the cards for him.

I'm not going to be requesting lovers for Will, but I would very much like to see a Holland Roden crush or potential future girlfriend for him. It's not something that I'll request since really, Will's purpose isn't in romance but in building friendships and his growth as a person through his relationships with his friends and with Noah. Still, this is something that I'd be interested in seeing.

My list of potential romantic interests is quite long because there is so much possibility here, and so many different types of things. I don't need a million of these, but I think that it's important to maintain recognition of the fact that Will is still a teenage boy who has romantic interests in the people around him.

Will's Crush I'm still thinking a Holland Roden face, no matter how old she's played, will catch his interest. Look at all that pic spam of the two of them! Anyway, this person is probably a popular girl (or possibly boy) at Brook Haven who Will can watch from a distance. If she (or he) winds up noticing Will, things could progress from there, but I see this as being possibly an enemy that he doesn't know is an enemy, so there's essentially a constant conflict between them, maybe even strange sexual chemistry, but she (or he) doesn't know whether or not he has all of his functions? She (or he) doesn't have to be ditzy or anything like that, but maybe doesn't know him well and he's not pushy enough to pursue

Antagonistic

Everybody has enemies, no matter how much they wish that their lives could be filled with friends rather than conflict. While Will is somewhat oblivious to the people in his life who dislike him or who are troubled by him, Noah is not. Will has too many problems to deal with on his own to focus on how he's causing problems for other people around him, so he's stopped bothering with them. The ever protective twin brother, however, can be quite a bear to deal with, and anybody who has issues with Will needs to be aware tat they will also be dealing with Noah.

Will's an easy enemy to have, since he won't get in the way of being hated. He's not going to try to force people to like him, he's not going to cry himself to sleep over somebody not liking him, and he's most likely just not to bother somebody. It's not likely that Will's ever going to win an "enemies of the month" award because for heaven's sake, who's going to be that fascinated with his persistence in ignoring the people who bug him the most?

Even so, I'd like for Will to have a full complement of enemies. Everybody has somebody who hates them, and no doubt there are going to be a few people who are either annoyed by Will's persistently chipper attitude (even though he's dying inside) or the fact that his chair gets in the way. I'm going to take you through a few things that I'd personally like to have.

Pushy "Friend." This is the one person that Will is most likely to see as an enemy, and the one that he'll resist in spite of the fact that he generally ignores his "enemies." This pushy "friend" is the type of person who wants to be part of Will's life in a positive way, but doesn't realize that he (or she) is pushing too hard and actually pissing him off (or just making him more depressed). This person wants to see him get up and out of that chair and start walking even if it's hard, even if it hurts, even if he falls down. They may couple with being one of his activity friends.

Chair Hater The chair's going to get in the way. That's the nature of wheel chairs. Sometimes it's in the place your body needs to be, especially when, for example, when the chair is blocking another student's path. This person probably thinks that Will can just get up and walk whenever he wants to and that he's using the chair for a sympathy bid. Obviously this would be irksome. Maybe this person can't tell the difference between Noah and Will and uses Noah to make the point that Will can walk?

First Impressions

Poor guy. I wonder how he wound up in that wheelchair. Is he paralyzed? Do his legs not work? Does his equipment work the way that a normal guy's does? It must suck to be stuck in that chair all the time. I wonder if he'll ever walk again. How does he ride a horse if he can't walk? Isn't that kind of strange? Does he think like other people?

It is painfully simple for people to look at Will as being somehow mentally impaired because of his disability. The majority feel instant sympathy for his "situation" and many wonder whether or not he he's able to walk or if he's taking advantage of his situation. Some feel pity while others feel disdain, but most tend to think that he needs their help when they first meet him. This is why so many get off to the wrong foot with Will.

Stranger Impressions

He's a strong person to live through all of that. It takes a lot of will to survive being shot, and with everything else that their foster father did to them, it's shocking that he's come through all of it still smiling. I feel bad for him, and his brother, too. They didn't deserve to be separated because of something like this. That man deserved to be shot!

Someone hearing about Will through the papers that ran his and Noah's story will likely feel sympathy for him, though there are those who might think that no matter what, Papa didn't deserve to be shot (he wasn't shot, as it turns out). It's easy for people to look at Will and Noah and feel a combination of sympathy and disgust for what they chose to do. Some feel one way, and some feel another.

Friendly Impressions

I always know that Will has my back. It's like he doesn't care what happens to me as long as I'm okay. It's kind of a weird feeling, and I don't know whether or not I can give back to him what he gives to me, but I'm doing the best that I can. It's hard to imagine thinking so much about other people and so little about myself.

Friends know Will as somebody who is incredibly strong, fiercely loyal, and willing to stand up for them even to his own detriment. If he had to stand up out of his chair and walk ten steps to save a friend, he'd fall down trying to do it, and then he'd crawl to them to save their lives. His friends know this because he is so intense about putting them before himself.

Familiar Impressions

Will's always watching. Whatever happens, I know that he knows it before I do, and that scares me a little bit. He can be so intense. It's easy to see that he loves me, but that intensity can be frightening, especially when he gets angry. Thank goodness that he doesn't get angry with me. Often.

Nobody knows Will the way that Noah knows Will, and Noah is the only family that Will currently has. What family will likely notice about Will is that he is often very quiet, and he is intensely observant of a lot of things. The family is also the people who are most likely to know about his hot (but slow) temper. He doesn't let his friends see that side of himself.

Rival Impressions

I never know what to think with Will. Every time I think I have him figured out, his game suddenly changes, like he knows exactly what my next move is going to be. He's hard to keep up with and erratic. I wish I could figure out how to do that when we're competing. It would make it easier to keep him on his toes!

Rivals will find that Will already knows what to expect from them even before they've decided what their next move is going to be. It makes him difficult to compete against, and his rivals either have a ton of respect for him or they absolutely loathe him for being able to do more than they can do with less practice. It's all a mental game!

Enemy Impressions

It's hard to know what Will's going to do. It's hard to get him wound up and upset about something, but the minute that he's upset with you, you can expect him to cold cock you just like that. Worst part of it is that his hands are at groin level. You don't want to mess with that.

Will has a very hot temper, but he's slow to burn. Once he gets upset about something though, he is a volatile, violent enemy who lashes out physically at anybody who pushes him too hard or too far. He doesn't discriminate based on adults or teenagers, either, so many enemies might find this unsettling about him.

Authority Impressions

Will's a good kid. I just wish that he'd try harder to get out of the chair. He'll work hard at everything but that, and the chair's getting in my way, too. He's so sensitive to anybody standing inside of his personal space, and he won't let me touch the chair. It's difficult to teach when he needs to be in control all the time.

Authority impressions of Will are mixed. He's a good kid with a strong will to make his life work for him, but he's not getting up out of the chair and he has a certain expectation of body autonomy that authority figures don't tend to like. Most consider this to be an over-sensitivity to something that other students would simply accept, while Will gets snarly if somebody touches him.

Coworker/Partner Impressions

Will gets in the way of everything. He holds us up, he can't participate in the group activities, he can't do all the chores, and we're always pulling the weight for him. And why should he get to have a dog when the rest of us aren't allowed to? It's bogus that he's in that chair. He's just getting out of work.

At least at first, Will's group mates will be very resentful of him for his holding them back. They aren't actually doing more work to make up for his deficits, but they don't know that. He's frustrating for them because he refuses to bend to their peer pressure and he doesn't always understand the social dynamics of the group.

Lover Impressions

Will's intense. Very intense. It's like he's watching everything that I do all the time and I don't always know if I'm comfortable with it. He can be so sweet to me, but then other times I feel like he can see what I'm thinking. It's kind of scary and I don't know what to make of him all the time.

Most "lovers" in Will's life are going to be scared by his intensity. It will take a very strong girl to "get" him. The majority may worry about him taking liberties that don't belong to him, but the right girl is going to see the fear in him and they will work well together as a result of this.

Self-Impressions

It's hard to get up in the morning most days. I'm a horrible person for giving Noah that gun and I wish that I'd made better decisions. The only reason that I drag myself out of bed every day is because I want to make sure that Noah feels the hope that I took from him. Now that we're going to be together again, I hope that everything's going to be okay.

Will doesn't like himself very much. He believes that he's a horrible person for putting the gun into his twin's hand. Depression is a key problem for him, but he tries to deflect it and to pretend to be happy. Everything about him is a lie, and Will firmly believes that he's a bad person because he fakes it so often.

Post-Mortem Impressions

Will had a sad life. It's horrible to see it end so early. He could have done so much more, and somebody should have stepped in to save him before things got to this point. It's heartbreaking for things to have wound up ending this way, without him achieving his goals.

People will remember Will sadly. He was a devastating case of child abuse and systemic neglect, and his death will leave people feeling as though they should have done more. Like most people though, they didn't do enough while he was alive. That's the way that it tends to happen, isn't it?

Mun Impressions

I've taken much too long to get Will into play. I see him as an angry, introverted person who wants to be around people but can't navigate the social dynamics the way that he needs to be able to in order to survive in this environment. He makes me sad, but also happy because I know that he has the potential to be amazing if he can just get his shit together.

Friends

Enemies

Lovers

Family

Noah Jenkins • Twin Brother

Until last year, Noah and Will spent all of their lives together. They were separated after an attempted murder went wrong: Noah had attempted to shoot their abusive foster father and instead hit Will, damaging his femur and resulting in Will's being confined to a wheelchair (for the time being). The brothers were intensely close before the accident and now that it's happened, their relationship is now in new waters that neither of them quite knows how to navigate. Will forgives his brother, but the real question is whether or not Noah can forgive himself.

Other

Habits

Self-Care

One of the most important things that Will was taught during his time in the hospital was self-care. He's gotten himself into a routine of bath at night, a cup of hot tea in the mornings, and time to rest his exhausted body after school. He's spent so much of his life taking care of his twin that Will has had to learn how to take care of himself, and these habits die hard. It's tougher on the ranch for him to maintain this routine, especially without help, and he's frustrated.

Homework First

As though the ranch couldn't disrupt his routine even more, Will uses homework as a sort of escapism. He has always done his homework as soon as he's done at school for the day, and therefore he takes his homework to the dining cabin every day and does his homework there instead of waiting for free time in which to do it. The sooner that he's done with it, the more comfortable that he is, and he hates putting off for later what he can do now.

Frequent Snacks

Using a wheelchair burns an astonishing number of calories, and Will eats frequently as a result of needing to keep his energy up. He will often be found in the kitchen, struggling to maneuver his way into the pantry for extra snacks. If you're looking for Will and he's either not where he's supposed to be or there isn't anywhere specific for him to be at that time slot, then you will likely find him in the kitchen digging up a snack.

Quirks

Wheelchair User

Since his brother (accidentally) shot him in the leg, Will has used a wheelchair to get around. He's able walk, and he has exceptional upper body strength due to using the wheelchair for the past two years, but he is not currently willing to walk any great distance without some major incentive. The ranch is pushing him to walk more and more and to gain additional strength, and his doctor has recommended occupational therapy, but Will is struggling to get onto his feet.

Independent

It's tempting for some people to try to "help" Will to get to where he's going, but after two years he is very independent and can use his chair to do most things that walkers can do. The exception, of course, is the hiking trails. He does well for himself and he hates it when somebody touches his chair. He's apt to give only one warning and then snap -- which could mean getting punched if you're not careful and you do it at the wrong time.

Gunshot Wound

The scar from Will's gunshot wound is still visible if he's in his pajamas or wearing a bathing suit. He's deeply ashamed of the wound, not because he's ashamed of Noah but because it is something that changed his life. He got the wound while doing something to protect himself when he shouldn't have had to protect himself and he doesn't want to talk about the things that happened to him, his brother, or his mother.

Hobbies

Bowling

During the past year, the staff at the group home where Will lived did their best to help to engage him in new interests and hobbies. Among these was bowling. Every Thursday night everybody in the home went out together to bowl. Some of the kids hated it, but Will discovered that it was one of the things that the chair didn't limit him on. He was able to use the chair and still bowl. It might not be something that he sticks with long-term now that he has a horse, but it's something that he enjoyed when he didn't have much else to occupy his time.

Stargazing

Even in his earliest days, when things were bad, if there was a clear sky Will was outside looking at the stars. He's always enjoyed attempting to count them, identifying the stars and the planets, and particularly the constellations and the stories that go along with them. Throughout the past year Will has kept a journal of what he sees in the night sky and he dreams of owning a telescope.

Ceramics

Perhaps a somewhat odd hobby for a boy (especially one who identifies as very masculine), Will enjoys painting molded ceramics. He's not so much a fan of painting on flat surfaces, but he loves the figurines and putting color on them. It's nothing that he would consider as a potential career field or anything, but it makes a nice pastime and he often has good gifts to give away at the holidays as a result of this hobby.

Skills

Pottery • Beginner

In the past few months, Will has taken a pottery class through the foster home where he was staying. He doesn't enjoy it as much as he likes ceramics, but he does enjoy throwing pieces and seeing the result of his labor. This is something that will take time for him to learn to do better than he does right now, but it's something he's willing to invest that time in.

Cooking • Skilled

Will likes to eat. The result of this is that he's grown quite good at preparing food, and he's good at figuring out meals out of virtually nothing, from all of the years that he and Noah didn't have enough to eat in their foster homes before Mama and Papa. He's quite a skilled cook and he enjoys doing it on top of that, though it's not something that he takes too seriously.

Puppetry • Beginner

Something that is almost a hobby for Will now, he's become involved in puppetry as an outlet. He's not great with the dolls, but he's developed an interest in sculpting and painting the faces of the puppets, which has driven him into an interest in producing shows for children. It's not something he'll do a lot of at Brook Haven, but it keeps his interest!

Interests

Astronomy

Just since he was shot, Will has begun to understand that it's possible for him to do something remarkable: He could be a scientist. He doesn't consider himself to be especially smart, but he does believe now that it's possible for him to do something more with his life. He's been quietly studying astronomy on the side in the hopes of doing something more with his life.

Puppet Making

In complete opposition to his interest in astronomy, Will has developed an interest in puppetry and puppet making. All fine art fascinates him at this point, but he loves the way that puppets come together, and he's started to sculpt the heads himself. This is something that he would like to continue to do, so he has also been studying this art form for a while.

Fine Art

Like his other artistic interests and pursuits, Will has discovered that he loves fine art, and in particular art museums. He doesn't get to visit them very often, but he loves them when he gets the chance to go. The only setback is that most of them have stairs and he's not currently up to taking the stairs. Only museums that have elevators will work for him.

Desired Plots

Rise Up and Walk

Doctors believe that most of Will's problems with walking are in his head: That he doesn't want to get up and walk and therefore he isn't getting up and walking. Will would argue that standing is painful, that whenever he tries to put one foot in front of the other he loses his balance and falls over, and that it's not worth the effort to do it right now. He doesn't want to spend the rest of his life in a wheelchair, but he also doesn't want to risk the humiliation involved in occupational therapy.

He needs somebody to push him. I don't care who it is, whether staff or student. It could be his brother, it could be the girlfriend that I plan to request for him. It could be his group leaders, or the owners of the ranch. It could be almost anybody but the important thing is that somebody find the motivation that he needs to get him out of that chair and walking again.

Two Legs? So What!

Due in part to his incredible upper body strength, Will won't have any problem riding provided that his horse is able to respond well to verbal cues rather than non-verbal cues. His motto will quickly become "who cares if you can stand on two legs when I have four?" Horses weren't an interest of his when he first came to the ranch, but before long they are going to take over his world, and given that he can't participate in all activities, he's going to want to spend a lot of time with his horse.

I'd love for a staff member to pick up on how important this is to him so that he has the opportunity to grow into the disciplines that he's chosen with his horse and to become better at riding. It would be awesome if he reached the point where he was a highly skilled rider!

A Boy and His Dog

Not every student on the ranch can have a dog at all, but those who have special requirements -- such as disabilities, including mobility issues and blindness -- may be exceptions to this rule. I'd love for Will to be one of these exceptions and for him to get a service dog (I like Rottweilers and so does he) to help him to manage his mobility issues. This would have to be approved by the Brooks and of course nobody in his cabin can be allergic to dogs, but this is something that would benefit him (and one of my other boys coming in at a later date).

The plot here is him getting the dog, and I'd love to do this with either his group leader or maybe one of the ranch owners. It's up to them to decide whether or not it's permissible though!

About Devin

Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Time Zone: GMT-5
Native Language: English
Other Languages: Conversational French and Dutch, Beginner Italian

Preferred Word Count: 300-800+
Likely Triggers: positive adoption language, abortion, miscarriage, needles, graphic, bloody violence. if you tag these, i should be okay!

Your Other Characters: rachel vanderbilt, logan brook, isabella curry, rebekah brook, grace somers, nathan curry
samuel anderson
Student • 17 YRS
INTJ
Occupation
Student
Nickname
Sam
Pronouns
He/him
Sexual Orientation
Heterosexual
Status
Single
Partner
N/A
Riding Style
Western
Honey
is
Sweet as Honey

Breed
Paint
Disciplines
Pleasure Riding
Application
is Offline

Pronouns
She/her
Timezone
GMT-5
Contact
pm
42 Posts
350 Points
Tenderfoot
mustang

Will and Sam
Admittedly this is the relationship I’m having the most trouble with. They don’t share similar interests and I see few reasons for Will to bring out his frustration, at least in the beginning. Sam feels guilty around Will. Even though Will doesn’t like to talk about what happened to him, you can physically see some of the trauma that was caused. For the time being I could see Sam picking up on the slack when it comes to some of the chores if Will is unable or unwilling to complete them. To Sam being in a wheelchair means you are not able-bodied, and that means he ought to pick up on some of his chores. I’m reading that Will wouldn’t be too happy about that, and Sam would be quickly put in his place if Will lashed out about it. He wouldn’t need to be told twice. And like you said, Sam does not understand the lack of motivation in getting out of the chair. To him if Will has the potential to walk again, he should be working his ass off to get there. But Sam wouldn’t be the one to push him to walk, he’s too much of a marshmallow. I say we wait on this one until another thread of ours gets completed. Maybe wait on a group activity when they come about to see how they react then.
Hit me back!

sabrina mccroy
student • 17 YRS
enfj
Occupation
student
Nickname
brina
Pronouns
she/her
Sexual Orientation
heterosexual
Status
single
Partner
Riding Style
English
Sabrina is 17 years old suffering (although of course that term is relative) with bipolar disorder. She's been in the system, literally since the moment of her birth, because of the fact that her mother gave her up just a few moments after her birth. She was pulled out of the system by her father, after he got out of prison and proved himself a fit parent.
Misty
is
Misty Mountain Hopper

Breed
Morgan
Disciplines
NA
Application
is Offline

Pronouns
she/her
Timezone
est
Contact
pm
9 Posts
130 Points
Trailblazer
Mustang
Sabrina & William
Alright, so this is actually the plot that I've been most excited about, not even gonna lie. Sabrina needs some positive relationships in her life that aren't her relationship with her dad. Hopefully (eventually), that's what William can be for Brina, here. With that said, let's get going! *cracks knuckles*. One of Sabrina's biggest strengths (maybe it could be considered a weakness, too) is that she treats everybody with the same amount of love and respect, at first. She's of the opinion that the ones who make it difficult to love them are the ones who need it the most. So yes, she's probably heard the rumors about him, and yes, she may be a little bit intimidated by him, but that isn't going to change her initial impressions of him. Even if she does, for whatever reason, see the side that people spread rumors about, she's still going to look for the best in him. She's still going to keep looking for reasons to love and respect him. That's just how she is. And, in all honesty, she's likely to not pay much attention to the fact that he's in a wheelchair, maybe even finding herself forgetting about his handicap. Of course the very reason that she was made in the first place is going to take some time to get around to, which I'm completely okay with, if you are! Sabrina will probably meet William, and wonder just who they were spreading the rumors she'd heard about. At the same time, she'll do her best to make her own impressions of him, as well. So if he's his normal self with her, then she's probably going to think to herself something along the lines of 'wow what a sweetie' and she's going to allow herself to form bonds with him that will eventually turn into a friendship that will eventually turn into more than friends. She won't walk on eggshells around him, either. Like I said, she's likely to actually forget about his handicap, as she gets more and more comfortable with him. It won't be in a way that makes her come off as rude, or insensitive, but more in a way that it'll randomly hit her, and she'll think to herself 'oh that's right'. A "sweeter" type of romance is kind of what I was aiming for, in all honesty. She can be oblivious when it comes to potential romantic partners, but only when it comes to the fact that other people might actually be interested in her. If she's confident that they might return her feelings, she'll eventually come out with it, but that might take some time. First meeting threads are always a tad awkward while RPers get the feel for their writing style as their new character and their partners style. They are, however, a necessary evil. The masquerade could absolutely be fun, and as it's a bit more difficult for William to conceal his identity, Sabrina could be emboldened by the fact that hers is still secret. She may feel emboldened enough to the point where she comes clean to him, though doesn't necessarily reveal her identity. Being hidden behind a mask definitely takes some of the pressure off, at least for her. Though depending on where she's at in her cycles and whether or not she's started her medication regimen and stuck to it, she could still shine through and be obvious. Manic Sabrina is very distinctive. Although, them working at a booth together could also be a lot of fun, though, as you stated, not as exciting as meeting at the masquerade. I'm open, really. No matter what, I'm stoked for these two!
Hit me back!

chris magellen
Junior Counselor • 24 YRS
ESTP
Occupation
Junior Counselor
Nickname
Chrissy
Pronouns
she/her
Sexual Orientation
Homosexual
Status
single
Partner
n/a
Riding Style
Western
Sprig
is
Spring Melts

Breed
Clydesdale
Disciplines
barrel racing
Application
is Offline

Pronouns
ze/zher/zhim
Timezone
GMT-8
Contact
PM
9 Posts
85 Points
Tenderfoot
Jr. Counselor
Will & Chris
Chris definitely needs that one person who's going to look at her and go 'hey, you're pretty cool.' She's a bit nervous that the kids won't like her, as she knows that she was pretty annoying to her counselors. It's also a bit frightening to her to be seen as a role model, or someone who is admired. Chris can definitely push Will. It's something she thinks she's going to be actually good at, making sure that the students push themselves. Maybe they start with something like Chris asking him how he thinks about walking, and go from there? Chris can (surprisingly) be pretty motivational if she tries. She'd be willing to help him get a dog, though she'd be pretty strict about it. She'd make sure they go through all the right channels. It would definitely be welcome for Chris to befriend Will!
Hit me back!

griffin robinson
student • 17 YRS
estp
Occupation
student
Nickname
griffin
Pronouns
He/Him
Sexual Orientation
homosexual
Status
single
Partner
Riding Style
English
Griffin has been in foster care since he was six-years-old, and was referred to Brook Haven by his social worker. He's dealing with a lot of issues from his past, which particularly influences how he reacts to authority figures. He is energetic and extroverted and will probably get along fine with most others -- unless he doesn't, in which case he really, really won't!
echo
is
astronomical dusk

Breed
thoroughbred
Disciplines
leisure
Application
is Offline

Pronouns
She/Her
Timezone
GMT
Contact
PM
25 Posts
145 Points
Tenderfoot
Mustang
Griffin & Will
You already know how much I absolutely adore the Will & Nick thread, but I wanted to say it again because I really, really do and I want you to know I'm going to be stalking that for new posts all the time! Onto actual plots for Griffin and Will, you're completely right that I don't think Will will catch Griffin's attention naturally -- so I think we'd need something to happen to throw them together, and I think whatever that 'something' is could really impact how it goes? [I'm leaning towards more of a friendship scenario, but I can't really pin-point why at the moment so I'll have to mull it over a bit more!] One thing which really did strike me though, is one of Will's desired plots (specifically, 'Rise up and Walk') and how Griffin could potentially tie into this. I don't know if you already have plans for this or have it filled -- and I'm not sure Griffin could entirely fill it, either. But! Griffin likes to do things. He likes to experience new activities, run around, explore, and he especially likes this to be with other people! I don't know if he could 'push' Will, per se, but he definitely wouldn't understand that Will won't even try to get out of the chair (and obviously for this to work he'd need to find out somehow that Will isn't completely paralyzed -- but I'm sure we could work that in somehow!). I kind of just had this image of Will sitting somewhere in his wheelchair, and Griffin struggling to climb something (I don't know, a tree or whatever!), and Griffin is just getting really, really irritated because he'd rather be climbing with someone rather than just having someone watching him and getting frustrated that Will could be climbing with him (or, you know, at least starting to work up to that) and just won't. Obviously, to Will, it's more than a "just won't" situation -- but I don't know if he'd particularly explain that to Griffin (welcome to the "let's not talk about it" club!) and so Griffin probably would just see it as that black-and-white. Again this could lead to a friendship-type thing or the beginning of back-and-forth fighting, because Griffin would be visibly fairly irritated with that situation and would probably come across as pretty harsh/blunt about it? So it would depend on how Will would react to that, too! Let me know if this is something that Will doesn't need, or you don't think would work, and I'm more than happy to keep thinking! <3
Hit me back!
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Affiliates
Resources & Directories
RPG-D
Sister Sites
Static
Scrolling
Skin coded by Devin exclusively for Brook Haven Ranch.