WRANGLER
TRAILBLAZER
WELLWADER
PATHFINDER
RIDGERUNNER
WINDCHASER
CLIFFHANGER
Welcome to Brook Haven!
Welcome to Brook Haven Ranch! We are a 18+ premium role playing community set in Trader's Bend, Montana. Our concept is the culmination of twenty years of plotting and planning. We feature a rich, developed program in which many troubled characters thrive. Our community is one of the best on jcink and we look forward to you becoming a part of it!
Healing Horses & Troubled Teens since 1995
Not every teenager has the benefit of growing up in a loving, happy home. Some are victims of abuse, neglect, a system that shuffles them from foster home to foster home. Brook Haven Ranch was established in 1995 as a refuge for abused and neglected horses -- and teenagers who needed a second chance in life and the opportunity to become something more than society expects of them.
Updates
8/25/2017 - Revamp Executed! 11/3/2017 - Holiday Event Launched!

STAFF SEARCH!

Forum Rules Tag Your Triggers!

Remember to Tag Your Triggers!
People and events in shippers are entirely fictional.

Add Reply
New Poll

dream with everything you have, 17 / Trailblazer / Ana De Armas
esmeralda correa
student • 17 YRS
ESFP
Occupation
student
Nickname
esme
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Sexual Orientation
homosexual
Status
single
Partner
none
Riding Style
Western
fuego
is
let

Breed
APS/AQH
Disciplines
barrel racing
Application
is Offline

Pronouns
she/her/hers
Timezone
GMT-5
Contact
PM for Discord
22 Posts
160 Points
Trailblazer
mustang
Esmeralda Correa
TW: Murder of a Parent, Death of a Parent, Communist References, Catholic and Santeria Religions, Religious Oppression, Political Oppression, Cuban Governmental Policies, Refugee, Rape, Murder, Parental Imprisonment, Abandonment

Basics

Full Name: esmeralda anita isabella madeira correa
Nickname/Alias: esme
Date of Birth: july 18th, 2000
Current Age: 17
Pronouns: she/her/hers
User Group: trailblazer
Sub-Group: student

Appearance

Eye Color: green
Hair Color: dark blonde
Height: 5'1"
Weight: 97 lbs
Scars or Marks: none
Tattoos or Piercings ears
Face Claim: ana de armas

Personality

MBTI Type: esfp
Likes: salsa dancing, jazz music, jazz violin, reed music, dancing, havana, the ocean, swimming, virginity, people who have real faith, horses, cowgirls, long skirts, white, bonfires, good friendships, thunder storms, idols (particularly catholic), cuban ice cream, coffee, coffee ice cream, feminism, female empowerment, boys who empower girls, history, capitalism, freedom, salt, paints, being dirty, mud, kissing, cherry flavoring, passionate people, receiving attention, being alone, being with people, loud parties, playing music, the way wind feels in her hair, snow, smell of cigars
Dislikes: the dark, sleeping, night, owls, coyotes, violence, men who hit women, the smell of sex on a woman, loud clothing, cigarette smokers, racists, homophobes, ethnocentrists, elitists, rudeness, discourtesy, bees, peanuts in anything, catholic faith, noche buena, smell of certain aftershaves, men in skinny jeans, high heels, absurd expectations, forced body image, sleeping with other girls, sleeping alone, climbing things, clingy people, fake friendships, people who don't speak spanish, struggling in school, sitting for long periods of time, insensitivity, cruelty, abusive people
Strengths: courageous, committed, loyal, generous, intelligent, self-motivated, strong, determined, feminist, equitable, daring, humorous, sassy, emboldened, capable, caring, charismatic, clever, compassionate, confident, cultured, earnest, empathetic, forceful, fun-loving, leaderly, musical, observant, organized, passionate, principled, purposeful, rational, self-sufficient, sensitive, understanding, witty
Weaknesses: abrasive, aloof, argumentative, blunt, brutal, calloused, compulsive, condemnatory, crude, demanding, dependent, disrespectful, disruptive, extravagant, fanatical, hostile, impatient, imprudent, obsessive, opinionated, possessive, pretentious, provocative, rigid, ruined, selfish, short-sighted, serious, superstitious, suspicious, tactless, traumatized, troubled, vindictive, vulnerable, willful
Fears: the dark, the night, being alone at night, sleeping, nightmares, sexual assault, guns, communism
Aspirations: learn to speak good english, play professional violin, run the obstacle course without falling, get adopted

Relationships

Romantic Orientation: homoromantic
Sexual Orientation: homosexual
Relationship Status: single
Significant Other: none

Psychology

Divergence: post traumatic stress
Risk Factors: esme was raped when she was fifteen, father in prison
Current Treatment: psychotherapy, visitations with father

Brook Haven Referral

Referred by: andrea vasquez, guardian ad litem
Referred for: failure to thrive in her current environment
Problem Areas: no particular problem areas

Lifestyle

Career/Occupation: student
Education: sophomore
Dream Job: professional violinist
Home Town: havannah, cuba / miami, florida
Religion: santaria

Equestrian Life

Preferred Riding Style: western
Disciplines: barrel racing
Riding Strengths: good posture, excellent sight
Riding Weaknesses: grips too tight
My name is Esmeralda Anita Isabella Madeira Correa, and I was born in the most beautiful country in all of the world. It is a country rich in culture and beauty, beaches and surrounded on all sides by ocean. We are Caribbean, and that makes us wealthy in ways you cannot imagine, even if we are poor in money. My people are strong, and we have lived through much, yet conquered so little. That is why my family chose to leave Cuba when I was eight years old.

Like most children, it was not my decision to make. My father was a rebel, a renegade who believed in things the president of Cuba believed were wrong. Cuba was then -- and in many ways still is -- a secular state. My father, it happens was an underground Catholic. Many Cubans were, or Voodouns and Santerians coming from Haiti. We lived under political and religious repression: The people of Cuba are not permitted to speak out against their government. They are not permitted to believe differently than what their government teaches. They are not allowed to disagree with their government, and most of all, with Castro.

I know there are people who agree with Castro (both Fidel and Raul) or who fought with Che; My father told me about them, the people who believed in the movement founded by Marx and Lenon. And I understand what they believe, what they think that they want. These people want someone to give to them the things they believe that they deserve; They want to feel that they are equal to other people, that no man, no matter how rich or how poor, has more value than another. My papa taught me all of this when I was a little girl, in the privacy of our own home. He taught me about what communism claimed to be, and what it truly was. He taught me that men had killed for communism, but that very few would choose to die for it.

Then, I was too young to believe in anything except which my parents taught to me. What I believed in was my father, and so when he told me that we would take a few small things, pack them into whatever we could carry in close quarters, and that we would get on a small boat to cross the Caribbean for America, I did it. Because I believed in him, and because I was twelve years old and already frightened of what might happen to my father. Though I was only twelve, I understood things that other people, from other countries, do not. If we remained in Cuba, my father would be executed.

In the end it was my mother who died. A bullet took her in the back as we boarded the boat.

I did not have the time to cry, to grieve my mother. Once you are on a boat bound for freedom, there is only one thing that you can do, and that is to survive. My mother did not make it: She did not survive. The government of Cuba, even then, did not want my family to leave for freedom. My father did not weep for my mother, and so I did not either. Six days we clung to the sides of the boat. Six days I did not see my father cry. After four days we ran out of water, and we arrived on American shores dehydrated and depressed, but we had made it.

Many people with us were sick. I do not remember throwing up. I do not remember a great deal at all except for the sadness of losing my mother, and the hope represented by the Statue of Liberty. In the end, I never saw it. We arrived in Florida, where many of our countrymen had settled, and we were quickly swept up in the refugee program. I knew nothing then of "legal" or "illegal" but many people I encountered who heard me speak Spanish muttered words it would take me years to understand: "Wetback" and "illegal." People disliked our language, though I never understand. I am white like them. I look like them, but I speak different language, they do not like me.

Yet I loved it.

Papa was carpenter, he found work easy in the beginning. He did not make much money, but we had something better than money: We had one another, and we had our community in Miami. It was like family. I missed my mother, but the women swept me up with them, gathered me to their breasts and taught me to do "women things." Cuba may give rights to women, but our men like their women submissive. I am not that kind of woman, and I was only thirteen when I told my father I would never allow a man to tell me what to do. He patted me on the back and told me that I was a special girl, and that I could do and be whoever I wanted to be.

So I became a lesbian.

We lived in Miami until I was fifteen. It is not that we moved from Miami that year, but that is the year that everything changed. I trusted people -- believed in them the way that my father had taught me to. Americans were beautiful people, and the people of Miami had embraced our culture, and we remained Cuban for all intents and purposes. I played jazz violin and tenor saxophone, and I learned to dance salsa among the other girls my age. It was a fast, sexy dance that I loved, and one night as I finished a dance with one of my girl friends (not girlfriends, this was different, we were only friends), I ran into a boy.

He was the type of boy with roguish good looks who was probably really in his twenties -- early twenties, not beyond that. A tourist, I thought, a blonde young man who wanted to come and experience Cuban culture without having to go to Cuba. Even I can see when a boy is good-looking, and I smiled at this boy. I spoke to him, greeted him. I was fifteen, and though not ignorant of men, it did not cross my mind that he would see me as anything more than a girl. My Cuban friends treated me as though I was still a child in many ways, and I expected the same from this man.

I ought to have known better.

He raped me. This boy, this tourist, he crushed me with his hands. I wore skirts in those days, long, flowing white skirts, and at first it was only his hands beneath them, then it was his thighs, then a bulge that pressed painfully into my body and broke the seal of my virginity. I screamed because it hurt. I screamed because he was killing me. But nobody came. Nobody came to my rescue and I crept home that night broken and bewildered. That is my father's word. He told me I looked bewildered. I will never forget his words that night.

"Nita," he said to me, "I have never put my hands on you, but you look as though you are the walking dead. Has someone hurt you?" And I told him everything. Everything. I told him what it felt like, how it hurt, how this man with the blonde hair had ripped my soul from my body and I could no longer locate it. I told him how this tourist had a deceiving smile and how I had smiled at him and he had taken advantage of my hospitality. I told him that I didn't understand.

The tourist went missing three days later. His body was found in the Bay nine days after that, and two weeks later my father confessed to his murder. He told the police nothing of my rape. He protected me. It was, so he said, my story to tell. And so I told it. But they locked my father away anyway. They took him from me and they locked him away.

I lived with an Abuela after that. She was not my grandmother, but she cared for me, an older woman who spoke my language because I had never learned English and who loved America as much as I did. She encouraged me to write letters to my father, and so I did. I stayed with her for over a year, until just before my seventeenth birthday when the woman who took me to visit my father, who took me to court when I needed to make an appearance, decided that I would go to a place in Montana. It would be an opportunity, she said. It would be a prison, I said.

In the end, she was right.

Put to the Test

PTSD is not about what's wrong with Esme, but it is about what happened to her. The rape put her to the test, and though she firmly believes that the phrase "everything happens for a reason" is a way to say "I don't know how to help you so please shut up about what happened to you" she does believe that her rape was a way for the universe to test her to see whether or not she could come out fighting.

Come out fighting she did. At first she was all anger and rage, but over time Esme improved her conception of herself in relationship to her trauma, and she learned that not only could she live with the violation that had been committed against her (even if her rapist did not survive his attack on her), she could be stronger than the person who had hurt her was. For that reason, she refuses to remain silent and lock herself away, though she knows that many victims do. Instead, Esme holds her head up high and talks openly about what happened to her because she believes that in doing so she may be able to help other women to be prepared for the possibility that they, too, could be raped.

She is proud, and won't tolerate the belief that "women ask for it." Esme believes that unless we can teach men not to rape, many girls like her could be victims as well. In spite of her limited English, she teaches young women in their teens and early twenties that they are strong, no matter what happens to them. Esme hasn't yet discovered a way to prevent rape without keeping women in their homes, but she's doing her best to discover new ways that girls can keep themselves safe, without telling them that they should sacrifice themselves to avoid being raped by men who ought to know better.

Not One of Those Girls

Since her rape happened, people have expressed sympathy that Esme is "afraid of men" and that she has decided not to settle down with a husband and a family like her Catholic family. Like any sensible lesbian, she finds this highly offensive and she will defend with her dying breath that she has been a lesbian at birth and that if rape can change a person's sexual orientation then it's more fluid than people think that it is. She's a hard core six on the Kinsey Scale and she has always identified that way. While boys do not in any way repulse her (even following her rape), she is solely attracted to females.

Esme believes that those girls who claim to be homosexual because of an incident of rape are either lying or they were always bisexual and are now looking for attention by whining about what happened to them instead of empowering themselves. She has little respect for feminine weakness and she loathes stereotypes, so these are the sorts of people she will avoid at all costs, and she might even snipe some behind their backs to make sure that everybody knows how she feels about that sort of person.

This is one of the many thing that Esme has used to empower herself. She is a proud lesbian and very out: She feels no need to hide who she is from other people and she believes that those who discriminate against her, or who are afraid of her are the ones who are in the wrong. She's doing nothing wrong by standing up for who she is and what she believes in, and she believes that she is empowered by the word 'no."

Leader of the Pack

This graphic on Esme's inspo board says a lot about who she is, and it is one of her major plot points. Her life has continually thrown her to the wolves, and she has consistently come back a leader. In spite of her emotional tendencies as a Cancer, she is a skilled leader who is committed to doing the right thing and to leading those who follow her to a place where they are stronger, more stable, and where they are empowered to make things happen in their lives. People naturally follow someone who is as charismatic a leader as Esme is.

You cannot beat her down. Whatever you do to try to keep her from accomplishing her goals is only going to make her work harder to achieve them. If you know the quote from Divergent, Four says to Tris "Fear doesn't shut you down, it wakes you up." This is exactly the way that pushing Esme to her limits works. She is forged in fire and if you attempt to beat her down, you're only going to make her stronger. She believes in herself and has a strong set of moral principles based on her heritage. Most of all, she believes that all women possess an untapped power that they aren't accessing, and she uses her leadership skills to teach other girls that they can do and be anything that they want.

In terms of her experience on the ranch, this means that any person punishing Esme can rest assured that she will use the discipline to her benefit and that she will rarely repeat mistakes or make the same bad decision twice. Sometimes she may disagree with the choices on the ranch and therefore she may make a bad choice, but the Trailblazer leaders should know that Esme will without a doubt always get the rest of the group to follow her and that she will teach them how to make decisions that she feels are right. You can either get her to work with you or to work against you, so choose how you discipline her wisely!

Sometimes Love Don't Feel Like it Should

For all that she is, without a doubt, an empowered young woman, Esme makes some bad decisions in love. She has a tendency to fall for the wrong girls, either those who are already in relationships or those who just don't swing her way. Most of all she tends to fall for bisexual girls, or girls who say they are bisexual but generally appear to prefer boys. In her mind, she has an addiction to those 2's (on the Kinsey scale) and she can't seem to get herself away from them. She's fed up with her own bad decisions about love but she can't seem to make better decisions, leaving Esme worried, broken, and exhausted.

She falls in love hard and fast and once she's fallen, it's hard for her to shake those feelings. There is every likelihood that she has never experienced real love (just lust or infatuation) but it's hard for her to know because she hasn't reached that level of deep feeling for somebody yet. It's something that she's dying to find, but the way that her life has gone, she's learned not to trust girls who say that they swing her way, since so many of them wind up headed for a guy in the blink of an eye. Because she loves so deeply, this breaks her up and causes her to reach a period of intense blues during which it's difficult to pull her out and get her interacting with people again.

These relationships will be further complicated by the ranch's setting, where students aren't allowed to touch one another that way and she's going to have to either put her foot down and stand for her independence or obey the rules. The latter will probably better protect her from getting hurt, but Esme has never been one for extreme caution: She'd rather fight than bury herself under a rock and remain terrified of the consequences of her actions.

Culture Shock

It's not the first time that Esme has experienced a culture shock, but she's had to do a lot of adjusting since arriving at Brook Haven. The people here are different than they were in Havana, and in its American younger sister. She doesn't speak a lot of English, and though this affected her briefly during the time that she spent in a Group Home in Florida, most people there also spoke Spanish, which allowed her to fall back on her mother language in spite of having learned enough English to get her started getting by. She still tends to lean on other people as an interpreter, and she's not working her hardest to learn English -- yet. Somebody is going to have to push her, and there's nothing better than peer pressure for this.

In spite of the shock, she loves the horses, and she has adopted a Western riding style so quickly that it might surprise some people that she'd never been on the back of a horse when she first arrived on the ranch. Those who think that she's Mexican or Spanish and ought to know her way around a rodeo are reading her wrong: Esme was a city girl born and raised, but now that she has access to the countryside, she is loving it. She's never felt more powerful than she does on the back of a horse with the beast between her thighs, and it's a feeling that she wants to never let go of.

Instead of settling in, however, Esme has been trying to change the ranch to suit her because that's the sort of person who she is, and she won't settle for less than what she personally thinks that she deserves. She's not fond of the punishments, as her parents were never hard on her, and she doesn't always grasp the limitations, especially if they aren't explained to her in Spanish but she loves where she is and is slowly beginning to settle into country living.

Letters Home

Since her father was locked up, Esme has been writing him weekly letters which are sent out on Monday from Brook Haven. All students are encouraged to write to those family members they still have contact with in order to maintain their relationships. This is a way for her to keep in touch with her father and with her Cuban heritage. They always had a strong relationship with one another and the fact that he is in prison is not a reason for her not to write to him. He did what he did (what got him sent to prison) in order to avenge and protect her, and Esme will always appreciate that.

The letters are one way that she is learning how to speak better English. Because she spoke none at all while living in Miami she's having to learn how to speak English now. Esme is truly grateful for the opportunity to live in America, but she is often frustrated by her inability to communicate with the people of this country. Her father, who does speak fluent English, requires that she write to him in English, and his letters to her are always in English.

Esme will need someone to help her to translate his letters and therefore to write her letters back to him as well. This is an excellent opportunity for her to learn how to speak better English than she has been able to so far. She'll be a quick study, so not to worry!

About Esme

Born in Cuba, Esme was raised in Havana to the age of eight, when her father became the target of the regime. Outspoken, a man with morals and principle, he was an easy target, and the family fled to America when Esme was eight years old. In America, they integrated quickly with the Cuban community in Miami, which was sufficiently insular that Esme learned no English until after her mother died, and very little from that point on. She is still learning to speak English and therefore some of her early interactions at Brook Haven might be a bit rough.

In contrast to her experience of culture shock, Esme is a natural-born leader. She is compassionate and emotional while also possessing the charisma to get the attention of the people who most need someone strong to take on a leadership role. She is a chaotic good, sometimes causing trouble, but always for what she believes is a good cause, and she doesn't make decisions that she's sure are bad, though she wouldn't identify her bad decisions as "mistakes" either, since she knows when she's breaking the rules, but she doesn't care if breaking the rules suits her purpose.

Her favorite thing about the ranch so far is her horse. All of the horses overwhelm her in general, but her favorites are the Quarter Horses. Her own horse is a beautiful quarter horse mare she has named Hawk, intentionally using the English name for a bird she considers to be powerful because she sees her horse as powerful. She is highly protective -- and possessive -- of her horse and guards her against anyone she doesn't trust to put their hands on the horse, which means that she has learned very quickly how to care for her. Hawk, and Western Riding, have captivated Esme and she loves everything about her horse and the idea of the rodeo.

While she will be difficult for the staff due to her risk-taking behaviors and her lack of English language skills, Esme will be a great friend to those who seek her out and can pick their way through her Spanglish. Students on the ranch will probably admire her, people from town will likely want to find ways to get to know her, and the staff is likely to be driven up a wall with her constant rule breaking. In her heart she's a good kid with a lot to contribute to the culture of the ranch and her group, but it's going to take work for the ranch staff to reach the point where she's able to work with the program and the culture of the ranch.

Platonic

Charismatic and passionate, people are naturally drawn to Esme, so she will probably have a lot of friends. Because she is emotional and loving, she prefers her friendships to be close and loyal and there is little doubt that she will have a fairly large circle of people who consider themselves close friends to her (and make no mistake, she will allow these people to do things for her if they are willing to) but only a few people to whom she is particularly close. Among those she may grow close to are the girls in her own group, and in particular Juliana Vasquez.

It should be noted that although Esme doesn't speak a lot of English, this will not hinder a friendship for her. Language, for her, rests in the way that two people communicate and there are languages that don't involve an exchange of words. After all, she can communicate a great deal of emotion with her violin alone -- when she's allowed to have it. For the moment she barely misses it as a result of having access to her horse, and that's enough for Esme -- for now. That will change eventually and she's going to be very challenging for her group leader to handle.

During her stay at the ranch, Esme is going to especially need a best girlfriend. She needs somebody she can rely on to have her back when she does things she shouldn't (shhh!) and she's also going to need this friend to be somebody who can handle her at her worst. She believes the saying "If you can't handle me at my worst, you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." She'll give a lot to and for her friends, and tends to be selfless in her friendships, but she needs people who she can share her secrets with.

She's a good, loyal friend who will stick by her friends until the end, and she will stand by them when they are in trouble but she won't lie to get them out of trouble. For her this is about standing by and defending your decisions, and if that means that she has to run, do chores, or be on food restriction, she'll do it in order to make the point that she believes that she did the wrong thing for the right reasons.

Romantic

Esme is a "hardcore lesbian" as she puts it. She won't ever be attracted to men under any circumstances, and there are no circumstances under which she would like to have physical contact with a male for the purposes of sexual gratification. She wishes to make it perfectly clear that this is not a result of her having been raped but that she has always been a lesbian and as far as she's concerned, was born that way. So to sum that part up, she's not in the least bit interested in males, so they needn't bother applying to be her boyfriend.

Thus far in her life, Esme has had a total of two girlfriends. One was when she was thirteen and it was a short-lived affair that ended when her father caught them holding hands. She remained single for the next two years, and was involve din a relationship with a sixteen year old girl at the time that she was raped. Her girlfriend abandoned the relationship as a result of the rape, claiming that it was an indication that Esme was bisexual and saying that she had no interest in dating a bisexual girl.

On that note, Esme doesn't discriminate: She crushes on girls of all orientations, and she will pursue a relationship with girls who swing in her direction, regardless of whether they are homosexual, bisexual, polysexual, or pansexual. She won't chase someone, however. If it's clear that her crush isn't interested in her, she's not going to go out of her way to make it work. At first this will hurt her, but over time she'll adjust and find a new person to crush on.

Since she doesn't much care about rules that she thinks are stupid, Esme would very much like to have a girlfriend on the ranch!

Antagonistic

There is absolutely no doubt that Esme is going to rub some people the wrong way. She's bold as brass, tends to speak her mind about everything and she doesn't hold back. Like most Caribbean women, she is a passionate woman and sometimes she gets carried away with herself and says things that she shouldn't. Moreover, and to the funny side, her English is not great and so she might say something in English that doesn't mean what she thought that it would mean in her second language, resulting in some hilarious animosity.

Be warned that if you cross Esme, she will do everything in her power to ruin you. Not only will she shun you (and because she has the potential to be quite popular, this could be very far-reaching for someone who gets under her skin) but she will also eviscerate you through gossip and rumors. Though not a mean person at heart, her Leo cusp and her Sagittarius rising both drive her to do some hot-tempered things in the heat of passion and her watery Cancer can't put that fire out. Be careful, therefore, before you come up against Esme and be sure to respect her passions.

Please do note that if you wind up being one of Esme's enemies, this is a virtually irreversible situation. Though she likes to consider herself a forgiving person (and she is capable of forgiveness), she will never extend her trust to someone who has burned her and she will make sure that as many people as she can reach know that you hurt her and that you are someone who she, as a leader, cannot or will not trust. This could absolutely destroy some of her fellow students, though it probably won't hurt the staff all that much.

She will probably mostly leave staff enemies alone, as her fear of leaving this place and going somewhere worse is intense and she knows that there are other options for people like her.

Your character notices that they are being followed by someone. It is dark, and no one is around. What happens?

She felt him before she heard the sound of his footsteps, that queer sense of being followed. The hair stood up at the back of her neck and her arms broke out in gooseflesh. Her heart galloped along at her ears tuned into the sound of footsteps. She was not to be disappointed: Only a moment later they came, heavy bootfalls on the packed earth of the path. A moment later it was his breathing, the heavy sound of someone not used to such exertion in a long time pushing themselves further.

Her pace had picked up without her realizing that she'd done it. Esme's legs carried her faster over the path, her eyes forward, scanning for escape routes, ways that she could lose him without giving him the opportunity to reach her. It left her feet vulnerable, where she normally would have kept an eye on them when she was out here walking. Night obscured her vision, however, and she would have to run the risk of getting a foot stuck in a root.

This was the part she hated the most about being out in the middle of nowhere. "Most" as though there were many things that she disliked about the ranch. No, she loved where she was, loved the land, the horses, the friends. What she didn't like was being without her cell phone, or a weapon for security. She'd carried a knife after her father had been arrested, something that could take out an attacker in one cut if she needed to. Those things were forbidden here; Not only the knife but the cellular phone as well.

The attacker, no doubt, had a weapon. She didn't look behind her to find out. Already in her mind, the footfalls belonged to a man, the boots to a man, the breathing to a man. He'd be larger than her -- it didn't take much to be bigger than Esmeralda Correa. Her lungs had begun to ache, and she hadn't even realized that she was running. Was she headed deeper into the woods, or was she on her way out? What on earth had possessed her to come out here in the first place.

Her foot caught on a root and Esme hit the ground hard, her forehead smacking against a fallen log. She screamed at the top of her lungs, releasing all of the air that she had left. Tears stung on her cheeks as she reached for a branch and gripped it tightly, then rolled onto her back and swung.

The branch made smart contact with Beau's temple, and he fell nearly as quickly as she had. "Mierde!" she gasped, quickly scrambling to her knees. "What... What you out here?" she asked in English. She'd come out to meet her friends for a midnight swim, and it had never occurred to her that her group leader might follow.

Friends

First Last • Relationship

Bacon ipsum dolor amet brisket shoulder pork belly, prosciutto cupim jerky andouille meatball ham hock porchetta landjaeger. Cupim shank filet mignon, corned beef rump brisket salami biltong shankle drumstick chicken. Rump turducken brisket, porchetta ball tip sausage spare ribs. Strip steak corned beef short loin prosciutto chicken. Sausage pork chop tail meatloaf. Cupim spare ribs boudin andouille. Ham hock shankle capicola leberkas pancetta.

Bacon ipsum dolor amet brisket shoulder pork belly, prosciutto cupim jerky andouille meatball ham hock porchetta landjaeger. Cupim shank filet mignon, corned beef rump brisket salami biltong shankle drumstick chicken. Rump turducken brisket, porchetta ball tip sausage spare ribs. Strip steak corned beef short loin prosciutto chicken. Sausage pork chop tail meatloaf. Cupim spare ribs boudin andouille. Ham hock shankle capicola leberkas pancetta.

Enemies

Lovers

Family

Other

Habits

Letters

Esme's father's parental rights have been terminated with his jail sentence, and he has relinquished her to be adopted. However, she has maintained a relationship with him, and like all students on the ranch, she is permitted to write letters to family members off the ranch. Esme writes one letter a week to her father, which goes out with the week's mail on Mondays. He always writes back, and has encouraged her to begin writing to him in English in order to help with her process of learning how to speak the language better than she has so far. It's working, but it frustrates her, and sometimes she reverts to Spanish in these letters. When this is the case, her father still writes back in English, pushing her further.

It is a constant reminder of what she has lost, and what her father did for her. She maintains a close relationship with him in spite of being available for adoption, and they love one another very much.

Candle Lighting

Although she does not currently have access to candles or matches, if she did, Esme would light one every day as a form of prayer. The main candle that she lights is for her mother, as a way of honoring her and the sacrifice that she made for her family. This is an important ritual for her as a Santerian and she wants desperately to be able to do this again, even if she has to do it under the supervision of a group leader. It won't be long before she argues that this is a sincerely held religious belief that she needs access to, but it may be a while before she manages to fill this need.

This is primarily a religious habit and though the belief is sincere, it is something that she has learned to do as a result of her time spent working toward initiation. Not all Santerians light candles with the same frequency that Esme does.

Scrub a Dub

Most of the time Esme handles what happened to her very well, and she's very insistent that it didn't change who she was, but of course it did. One of the ways that her rape has changed her is that she scrubs hard every evening in the shower, using the soap to cleanse away any feeling of dirt on her skin. This is a holdover from what was done to her: She hasn't felt clean since the rape and now she has to scrub her skin to get that nasty feeling off of it.

This habit might be annoying to her bunk mates who have to share the bathroom, however, as there are only two and she spends a lot of time in the shower. Two other girls have to share that same bathroom and she might make their lives just a bit difficult with her scrubbing!

Stepping Up

Esme has a sincere belief that everybody needs to know how to fend for themselves and that there are no excuses not to know how to protect and defend yourself in an emergency situation. They come up too often for a person not to know how to keep themselves safe and she lectures those members of her group who she doesn't feel know adequately what to do with themselves if they were to be attacked. That being said, she is the first person to stand in for anyone in her group, including those people who she doesn't like.

If someone in the trailblazer group needs somebody to defend them, she'll be very quick to stand up and make sure that her friends are safe from any kind of harm. She may lecture them afterward about the importance of knowing how to take care of themselves, but she will always step up to defend those who cannot defend themselves.

Quirks

Woman in White

Esme began wearing white exclusively shortly after she was raped. The white is the color of her religion, Santeria, and is worn by initiates during their first year of practice. Before Santeria, she practiced Haitian voodoo, and in doing so she learned to wear white. Now she always has at least one white article of clothing in a primary part of her outfit, usually a blouse if she's wearing jeans, but sometimes a white bandanna to cover her hair as well.

Head to Toe

Even before her rape, Esme liked to be covered from head to toe. Her Catholic father taught her to be modest, and even to wear a bandanna on her hair in order to cover that. She's always preferred to wear clothes that cover her from head to toe and she usually has something on her head as well as wearing long sleeves and jeans. This is not a religious habit for her, though her father passed it down for religious reasons, but she doesn't like to expose her body. No matter how much she believes that men are responsible for rape, she refuses to make it easy for them.

No Hablo

Although she is working at learning to speak English, Esme is still predominantly a Spanish-speaker. English was spoken all around her in Miami, but she chose never to learn it since she didn't have to. Her entire community spoke Spanish so why should she worry about learning to speak English? This is disruptive to her ability to speak English with the other people on the ranch and this is holding her back from some of her friendships. It's one thing to be lectured, and another thing to be lectured in a language you don't know!

Proud Wetback

Esme has embraced the term "wetback" in spite of it's racist connotations. Her mother died on the boat coming from Cuba, and her father had nearly been killed by Castro's people. She is proud of what she's come from and what she has survived. Even if it were not for the rape, she survived the trip from Cuba to America, and even if it doesn't always show, she is so grateful to this country for providing her with a safe place to live when the leader of her own country might have killed her family.

Hobbies

Playing Violin

From the time that she was a little girl, Esme has been mastering the art of playing the violin. She loves the instrument, in particular as part of a Jazz band, and she loves the way that the violin feels in her hands when she plays it. This is her primary hobby, and one that she uses to help make other people happy. In spite of her boldness, Esme does do a lot of people pleasing, and music appeals to her extroverted nature. This is one of her favorite things to do.

Salsa Dancing

The lifestyle in Miami where Esme grew up for the past several years is one of frequent parties, and she learned salsa dancing from her cousins when she was younger. It's something that she has a lot of fun doing and she can be very provocative when doing it -- with both males and females, in spite of her sexual orientation. This might sometimes confuse some people who think that she could swing toward a relationship with a male, in spite of her homosexuality.

Cooking

One of the things that Esme is able to hold onto from her life in Cuba is the food that she ate there. She's learned how to cook a lot of Cuban dishes, and it's her favorite food on earth. She goes out of her way to make her favorites for the people she cares about, and if you happen to be someone who she is particularly close to, she will even make you Cuban ice cream -- if she can find a way to use coffee in her cooking!

Writing

Esme has long loved to tell stories, and she's spent the last several years writing them down. Most of her stories are written in Spanish, but she's recently started to work on writing them in English so that she can please her father in their letters to one another. She also keeps a daily journal of her experiences on the ranch, partially as a way of passing time until her father is eligible for parole for his crime of murder.

Skills

Violin • Prodigy

Because she has been playing from a very early age, Esme is quite good with the violin. It's her instrument of choice, but not the only one that she plays: She also plays a tenor Saxophone. She has skill with both instruments, and in particular with Jazz music in general. If you put an instrument in her hands, she will probably learn to play it if it's a reed or a stringed instrument! Still, her favorite is the violin, and it's the one she's best at.

Dance • Good

A skill she taught herself, Esme is very good at Salsa dancing. There are other forms of dance that she's good at, but this is the one that she's best with, and she loves it. Salsa Cubana is part of her soul, something that has gotten deep into her psyche and she loves the heat of dancing the Salsa style. If she can get a group going, she'd love to do that, even at Brook Haven, and she doesn't care where in the world her friends come from, this is one way she can share a slice of Havana.

Leadership • Excellent

Esme has a charismatic personality that draws people to her, and she excels at getting people to do that she thinks they should do. Whether she steers them right or wrong, people tend to follow her due to her loyalty and commitment to the group that's following her, so this is something that will prevail regardless of whether or not she is directing her followers to do the right thing or to do the wrong thing.

Interests

Political History

Esme will tell you that it's hard to avoid getting involved in politics and political history if you're Cuban and subjected to the tyranny of its leaders. Her family escaped Cuba as refugees during a time when things were supposed to be getting better, and she believes, as her father taught her, that she had to be personally empowered in order to make any kind of changes in the world in which she grew up.

Rodeo

Rodeo is a new interest for Esme, who grew up in the city about as far from rodeo as she could get. It's an interest of many of her Hispanic companions and though she does not share their Latin history she is fascinated by this thing that fascinates them so much. It's something she's quickly learning how to enjoy -- a lot -- and she wants to learn how to ride as part of the rodeo. Right now she's looking forward to learning reining, but she also wants to learn barrel racing.

Cuban Heritagel

Born in Cuba and then transplanted at the age of eight years old to America, where her family settled in Miami. Thanks to the place in which they settled, she was able to hold to the culture with which she had been raised up to that point, and in spite of her experience in Cuba, she believes that Cuban culture is one of the greatest in the world. Of course she appreciates more than anything the fact that she was able to come to America and enjoy the richness of its capitalist system.

Desired Plots

Letter Friend

Esme writes weekly letters to her father, who is in prison for the murder of her rapist. She's not clear on when he will be eligible for parole, but she continues to write every week. He insists that she write to him in English in order to help her improve her English-language skills, and he writes to her in English as well. It would be nice for her to have someone who will help her to write the letters to her father and perhaps to read and translate his letters to her, meaning that whoever this person is ought to be fluent in both English and Spanish.

Tired Tropes

The old trope that a girl becomes a lesbian because she was molested or assaulted is tiring and dull. Most of us know that by now! So I'd love the opportunity to play with it directly by having somebody accuse Esme of being nothing but a tired old trope that needs to be put to bed. She's been a lesbian her entire life and it has nothing at all to do with the fact that she was raped, but I would find it very interesting if someone wanted to accuse her of becoming a "man-hating dyke" as a result of her having been assaulted.

Throw Me to the Wolves

I'd really like a plot in which somebody tries to toss Esme to the wolves, either a peer by picking on her or trying to alienate her, or the staff by attempting to punish her for something that she feels was the right thing to do. The goal of this is for her to come back with an entire movement, whether a group of friends who combat the bully or a group of students who are willing to put their placements on the line for change at Brook Haven. Either of these would be great!

About Otter

Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Time Zone: GMT-5
Native Language: English

Preferred Word Count: 300-800+
Likely Triggers: positive adoption language, abortion, miscarriage, needles, graphic, bloody violence. if you tag these, i should be okay!

Your Other Characters: rachel vanderbilt, logan brook, isabella curry, rebekah brook, grace somers, nathan curry, william jenkins, katelyn yu, eleanor noble, montana sheridan, nadia grisham, anne howard, cleo turley, thomas montgomery
nick fisher
Student • 16 YRS
ENTP
Occupation
Student
Nickname
Nick
Pronouns
He/him/his
Sexual Orientation
Pansexual
Status
Single
Partner
Riding Style
Western
When people look at Nick, they tend to see a big dumb bully. For all most people experience of him, they might as well be right. At heart, Nick is a smart, sensitive kid who’s learned to act tough because it keeps him safe, but that’s buried deep enough that plenty of people will never encounter that side of him.
Eater
is
Peter the Pumpkin Eater

Breed
American Quarter Horse
Disciplines
Pole Bending
Application
Ben
is Offline

Pronouns
He/him/his
Timezone
GMT-5
Contact
PM
126 Posts
665 Points
Wellwader
Mustang
Esme & Nick
Esme was the original inspiration for Nick, so I’m thrilled to have her here, and would be really interested in the "Throw me to the wolves" plot. Nick is really inclined to pick on Esme, for her sexuality, her nationality, and her language. While individual people standing up to Nick is always interesting, having a bunch of people get together and take a real risk to force him to back off would have a much bigger impact on him. As much as he’s a jerk, Nick doesn’t see himself as an outright villain, and having Esme organize a group would really shake him up, and maybe push him in the direction of being a better person.
Hit me back!
anthony brook
Horse Program Head • 46 YRS
ISFJ
Occupation
Horse Program Head
Nickname
Tony
Pronouns
he/him
Sexual Orientation
heterosexual
Status
dating
Partner
Moira O
Riding Style
Western
Sundance
is
Sundance Me Fancy

Breed
Quarter Horse
Disciplines
Roping
Application
is Offline

Pronouns
she/her
Timezone
GMT-5
Contact
pm me!
40 Posts
190 Points
Brook Haven
Owner

Tony & Esme
Tony does't speak Spanish very well, but I think Esme is going to stick out to him. I can't wait to get Beau in play for her because that's going to be fun too! Anyways! Tony is going to adore this girl, I think.

I don't have any super de duper solid ideas for them, but when you get that antagonist for the tired tropes plot idea I'd love it for Tony to be there. I get the feeling that he's going to be pretty protective of her.

I'd love to do a thread where they run into one another and see how they interact. Tony knows some Spanish, but he's not Keith or Tara. <3

Hit me back!

<>
<>
henry cooper
• YRS
Occupation
Nickname
Pronouns
Sexual Orientation
Status
Partner
Riding Style
is

Breed
Disciplines
Application
is

Timezone
Contact
0 Posts
Esme & FelixI kind of love their dynamic (or proposed dynamic). I feel like they have both fought in different ways-- Felix being covert, and Esme being overt. They also share a bunch of that natural charisma that pulls people too them. Felix appreciates that in other people, so I am positive that he would like to be around Esme. On top of that, the fact that she is "part of the family" (meaning LGBTQ+, family was often used by his drag family in a broader sense to mean the whole queer community) would be very exciting for Felix. The thought of their friendship actually makes me giggle a little because I can see Felix being like "it's gonna be ok kid, just stick with me," because he would assume that she needed a translator type to show her the ropes, and Esme tell him off or something. But Felix would never be put off if she had such a negative reaction to him-- simply because a lot of affection in his drag family was shown through tough love, and knowingly (and aggressively) flip stereotypes and social norms on their heads. So he would feel a little dumb for assuming, but also would love that she wouldn't be afraid to call him on his BS immediately. And he would probably have some type of reaction like "wow, you're kind of intense and mysterious-- I like that." Hit me back!

<>
<>
everleigh spaulding
• YRS
Occupation
Nickname
Pronouns
Sexual Orientation
Status
Partner
Riding Style
is

Breed
Disciplines
Application
is

Timezone
Contact
0 Posts
Ever & EsmeThe language barrier will definitely be a challenge. Ever doesn't speak Spanish. If they were thrown in a situation together where they had to interact during an activity or task, I honestly could see Everleigh getting desperate and trying to draw things out for Esme, if she was able to (has access to a drawing utensil and paper or some other surface). Everleigh might be taken aback by Esme's outgoing nature, at least at first. I could really see Everleigh looking up to someone like Esme because Esme is so empowered and comes across as being so strong, though. Ever sees herself as a wimp. While Ever won't be forthcoming about her own abuse experiences, she would envy the others in group who are able to talk about their issues. Listening to the topic won't be comfortable for Everleigh and will definitely be emotional for her. Ever's curiosity about Esme's experience would probably stem from wondering if and how Esme might have dealt with issues of anxiety and fear from it since Ever struggles so much with that herself. Hit me back!
<>
<>
everleigh spaulding
• YRS
Occupation
Nickname
Pronouns
Sexual Orientation
Status
Partner
Riding Style
is

Breed
Disciplines
Application
is

Timezone
Contact
0 Posts
Ever & EsmeI really love this idea. They could definitely help each other this way. I'll start a thread up and tag you.Hit me back!
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Affiliates
Resources & Directories
RPG-D
Sister Sites
Static
Scrolling
Skin coded by Devin exclusively for Brook Haven Ranch.