WRANGLER
TRAILBLAZER
WELLWADER
PATHFINDER
RIDGERUNNER
WINDCHASER
CLIFFHANGER
Welcome to Brook Haven!
Welcome to Brook Haven Ranch! We are a 18+ premium role playing community set in Trader's Bend, Montana. Our concept is the culmination of twenty years of plotting and planning. We feature a rich, developed program in which many troubled characters thrive. Our community is one of the best on jcink and we look forward to you becoming a part of it!
Healing Horses & Troubled Teens since 1995
Not every teenager has the benefit of growing up in a loving, happy home. Some are victims of abuse, neglect, a system that shuffles them from foster home to foster home. Brook Haven Ranch was established in 1995 as a refuge for abused and neglected horses -- and teenagers who needed a second chance in life and the opportunity to become something more than society expects of them.
Updates
8/25/2017 - Revamp Executed! 11/3/2017 - Holiday Event Launched!

STAFF SEARCH!

Forum Rules Tag Your Triggers!

Remember to Tag Your Triggers!
People and events in shippers are entirely fictional.

Add Reply
New Poll

Stars in His Eyes, 16 / Wrangler / Yoon Jeonghan
hyung daesung
Student • 17 YRS
ENTJ
Occupation
Student
Nickname
Davey
Pronouns
he/him/his
Sexual Orientation
pansexual
Status
single
Partner
none
Riding Style
English
Connie
is
Jumping to Conclusions

Breed
Saddlebred
Disciplines
Eventing
Application
is Offline

Pronouns
she/her/hers
Timezone
GMT-5
Contact
PM for Discord
30 Posts
295 Points
Wrangler
Mustang
Hyung Daesung
TW: transracial adoption, negative adoption language/talk

Basics

Full Name: hyung daesung (birth) / david atkins (adoption)
Nickname/Alias: davey
Date of Birth: october 9th, 2001
Current Age: 16
Pronouns: him/him/his or they/them/theirs
User Group: wrangler
Sub-Group: student

Appearance

Eye Color: brown
Hair Color: black/brown
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 147 lbs
Scars or Marks: none
Tattoos or Piercings star tattoo on his front left shoulder, both ears pierced
Face Claim: yoon jeonghan

Personality

MBTI Type: ENTJ
Likes: engineering, robotics, pop music, korean culture, japanese culture, reading, studying engineering, making good grades, successful production, parties, loud music, electronics, taking apart electronics, physics, mathematics, puzzles, board games, roller skating, western holidays, bright colors, italian food, transformers, big hero 6
Dislikes: pressure, large crowds, being the center of attention, boats, large bodies of water, seafood, spicy foods, curry, being alone for long periods of time, long car rides, traveling, planning travel periods, being late (for anything, but school in particular), disagreements, arguing, judgment, gender roles
Strengths: curious, observant, energetic, expressive, enthusiastic, excellent communicator, easygoing, friendly
Weaknesses: impractical, hyperactive, scatterbrained, overthinker, easily stressed, highly emotional, overly independent
Fears: long-term or permanent disability, amputation, robot apocalypse, dogs, large bodies of water, sharks, icy patches, riding in cars, missing appointments, forgetting to wear clothes to school or events
Aspirations: get adopted, become an engineer (professionally)

Psychology

Divergence: depression, anxiety, anger management
Risk Factors: highly insecure with risk for self-harm, prone to angry outbursts
Current Treatment: none

Brook Haven Referral

Referred by: ellen bergens, social worker; alexander atkins, adoptive father
Referred for: failure to bond with adoptors
Problem Areas: anger management

Relationships

Romantic Orientation: panromantic
Sexual Orientation: pansexual
Relationship Status: single
Significant Other: none

Lifestyle

Career/Occupation: student
Education: second grade (korean)
Dream Job: robotic engineer
Home Town: suwon south korea
Religion: lapsed mormon

Equestrian Life

Preferred Riding Style: english
Disciplines: eventing
Riding Strengths: unknown
Riding Weaknesses: demanding, unfocused, distracted

We All Wind Up Here

We all wind up here, sooner or later. The kids from Asia and Eastern Europe whose parents are gone or who don’t want them or can’t afford them, somehow we wind up in America with parents who earnestly believe that it’s their purpose in life to rescue us from the terrible lives we must have had in the countries that were our homes until they came alone to scoop us up and remove us from everything that we used to know. You hear stories, you know. Kids whose parents couldn’t afford to feed them. These American people, they think that we’re all the third world, waiting for the first world to come and rescue us. They can’t look at us and see that we’re the same as them. They don’t see the difference between North and South Korea. Or maybe it doesn’t matter to them. I think it’s probably that it doesn’t matter to them. My story is different. And it’s not different. It depends on who you ask. I had a little brother. I suppose I still have a little brother. Let me reassure you that he’s not dead, just somewhere different than where I am. We’re not brothers any more in the eyes of the law, as though it’s that simple to separate what biology and blood has created. Maybe someday I’ll see him again. If I don’t, I like to think that it won’t be any great loss. Leesam isn’t like me. We’re different people. I was six when my Korean father left our family. He drank too much and walked out on my mother for another woman, younger than he was. Sometimes, late at night when I can’t sleep, I remember her face, swollen with bruises after he’d hit her. Once I asked Leesam if he remembered her this way. He told me that it had been different, but he couldn’t tell me how. I think he wanted to remember her differently, wanted our American parents to be our rescuers, the way that they saw themselves. And I suppose that’s okay. It has to be okay. There’s nothing else. After our Korean father left, our Korean mother struggled to earn enough money to make food. He’d hurt her (though that’s my memory and not Leesam’s) and her right hand never healed right because she didn’t have the money for the hospital or she didn’t want to go and implicate our Korean father for having hurt her. After he moved out, she had a hard time doing a lot of jobs because her hand didn’t work the way that it was supposed to, and she couldn’t always afford food. I shared mine with Leesam. I remember that. He doesn’t. She turned us over to an orphanage when I was seven and Leesam was four. It was a church orphanage, Christian Koreans who thought they were doing the most good for us. Mormon Koreans who put our first Bibles in our hands and taught us about how much Jesus loved us. Back then I believed them. I believed that Jesus could save me from all of this. I put all of my faith in him, and I stayed in that hospital with Leesam for the next four years. It was a good place. Sometimes we got to see our Korean mother, her hair tied back in a bun, her hand clenched at her chest as though she could hide what we already knew. What I already knew; Leesam refused to accept it. That was how it worked. It wasn’t an ideal situation, but it was good for us. We knew that she loved us, and we trusted in Jesus and in God, the way that the women at the orphanage and church taught us to trust Him. If things had gone on that way, I might still be a Mormon. But they didn’t. I was eleven, and Leesam was nine, when American Mother and American Father came to collect us from the orphanage. I’d seen it happen to other children, the younger ones, many of them without living parents, but I never expected them to come for us. It looked like a shopping trip, white mothers and fathers looking through children like choosing something from a catalog. This time they chose me. Me and Leesam. Our American parents lived in Seoul, so that’s where we moved. It was different than what we were used to, a new place. We spoke English at home with our American parents. They demanded it. They were close to Leesam, moreso than me. He was younger, and when he smiled there were dimples in his cheeks. I was cold and withdrawn, and I didn’t like anything about them except for the spaghetti that American Mother served every Tuesday night at home. We lived that way for four years. Our American parents didn’t talk much to me. We never “bonded” (which is a keyword that Ellen uses to describe what happens between parents and their children) the way that they bonded with Leesam. Maybe that’s why it was so easy to kick me out when they’d had enough of me. By that time we’d been “home” in America for three months. We were supposed to be happy here, but I wasn’t. I’m not. At least they obtained our citizenship before they tossed me out onto the streets. Not everybody is that lucky. Have you heard the story of Adam Crapser, whose adoptive parents kicked him out as a teenager and who was deported to South Korea? I suppose that wouldn’t be so bad. I have people there. Here, I have nobody. I found Ellen on purpose. Asked her to get me into a place. So here I am. Another discarded kid “saved” by a system intent on destroying us.

Let the Body Lead

Daesung is intelligent, which one might think translates into him being a particularly cerebral person. And of course he is, but he is also the sort of person who loves getting physical with things. He is incredibly kinesthetic. That's how he learned how to make robots: By taking appliances apart and putting them back together in a different order. He's only just moved on to AI, but he's come a long way since he first started, and everything that he does is kinesthetic in nature.

He's going to wind up getting very into riding, very fast. It will be an escape from the pressures of his failed social life, for one, and for another it will be a way for him to let his body lead where his brain will follow -- instead of the other way around. This is going to be brand new for Daesung, and something that he will need to explore more.

Horses are an incredible way to heal a heart, and Daesung is badly in need of healing.

Brainiac

Daesung has a difficult time relating to people who don't have the same level of intelligence that he does. This is generally true for most people, but for Daesung, he's a genius with an IQ comparable to Einstein's and a thirst for information about the way that the world around him works. He's already a committed engineer, college bound, and frustrated by what he's already learned about the American system. The last grade that he completed was the second in South Korea, and now he's struggling to figure out how the classes even work at Brook Haven.

Apart from English language literature and Spanish, he could easily pass out of all of the senior-level classes on the ranch, and he's frustrated, and somewhat ashamed of himself. This has led to incidents where he's attempted to teach the class and has implied that his teachers are less intelligent than he is (which may very well be true in some cases).

Who Am I?

The cycle of abandonment -- and the fact that it has continued for Daesung -- has given him the sense that he is not the person who he thinks he is. Most people don't seem to have a good perception of him -- not that they don't like him (because as annoying as he is, he's likable) but that they don't see him for who he truly is. For that reason, he's struggled to figure out if what they see is the truth about him or if what he sees is the truth about him. In the end, he has lost his sense of self, which is one of the reasons that he pressured his social worker into applying for him to come to Brook Haven, where he hopes to find himself.

This is going to be an altogether new experience for him, as he is entirely out of his element. Many of the students at Brook Haven have had academic trouble, and among those who have not, most are capable of tutoring other students. Daesung is neither, and he will struggle with fitting in with the other students due to him being such a different sort of person.

He's also going to be uncomfortable being around so many American people (he refuses to think of it as being the only Asian person in a group of white people, especially since that's not entirely true either). The adjustment is going to be huge for Daesung.

About Daesung

Daesung is a talkative, hyperactive, enthusiastic, and passionate young man. He is intelligent and eager, can be quickly absorbed in a task, and although extroverted, may become so deeply involved with a project that it's difficult to garner his attention if he's busy with something. He's the type of person who most people initially like, and he should be the type who has a lot of friends and an easy rapport even with strangers. Because he talks enough for two or three people, he tends to be a natural at leading groups of teenagers because he takes the social pressure off of his peers.

He is, however, susceptible to peer pressure and doesn't always make the best of choices. His mind is active and therefore so is his body a lot of the time. Daesung makes the best choices when he is in his workshop creating something new out of nothing, and therefore he spends the most time there when he has recently been in trouble for something involving his poor choices.

In spite of this, Daesung is a good kid with a sharp mind and a generally good attitude toward other people. He's social and intelligent with excellent social skills (most of the time). The drawback is his hyperactivity and the difficulty that he has shutting up once he gets started. Some people may find him obnoxious because of this and he could be irritating to teachers as a result of his difficulty in shutting up once he gets his mouth going.

Platonic

He's not the sort of person who makes friends easily because of his genius intelligence and his antisocial behaviors, but even so, Daesung needs friends like he needs air to breathe. Trust that he will be overbearing, that he can be demanding, that he's as intense in his friendships as he is in his projects, and that if you're not geared toward STEM subjects, he's going to bore you by talking altogether too much about engineering projects. Once he gets started about one of his obsessions, it's very difficult to shut him up, and therefore he's going to wind up having a hard time getting along with a lot of the other students on the ranch -- most just won't be that interested in the things that he does for his hobbies.

As with any teenager, it would be good for him to have a best friend. This might be one of the only people he'd allow to call him "Davey" as a result of closeness. Most of the time he insists on being called by the name that he was assigned by his parents at birth. A best friend for Daesung ought to be capable of keeping up with him in conversation and willing to tolerate his constant chatter about subjects that might not interest them. Even better, they are as into engineering as he is and can relate to what's going on in his head.

It would also be nice for him to find some Fellow Asians to hang around with. (I play a lot of them so his friends are most likely to draw from that group.) The fact is that Asian children adopted by white parents are often made to feel ashamed of their culture and their background, and that even those adopted at birth are drawn back to the place where they were born (usually South Korea). Daesung could do with having people who understand him, can pronounce his name properly and who don't find it weird that his surname comes before his given name.

I'd also love for him to have a partner in crime, especially if the pair isn't particularly close to one another emotionally. He'd love to have somebody who can help him when he wants to do something that might get him into trouble. He can be a bit of a prankster and he enjoys using his inventions to torment people (in the best possible way -- not mean spirited). Having a buddy who "gets it" would be awesome for him!

Romantic

Romance is rather complicated for Daesung. His mind is busy, so he doesn't often have the time to do the things that most people find romantic. He's not the sort of guy who's going to send flowers and sneak in secret interludes. He's more apt to drag you along to see his most recent invention or to look at numbers and statistics with him. If he invites you for a study date, he really does mean study date. Most people will probably find this unattractive. At the same time, he's also a sexual being, and he does find people (of all genders) attractive.

It would be nice for him to find a romantic interest for him to crush on. I might actively seek this out for him, but if you'd be interested in being the subject of his interest, do feel free to drop me a line in his shipper and let me know if you might like a bit of a tug-and-pull romance with him.

Of course I'd also love for him to have an actual girl/boyfriend. This is the sort of thing that would take time to develop, but it would be good for him as it tends to be for all people. This is the sort of progression that could be interesting for me as a player because it would be great to see Daesung figure out romantic relationships and how to treat people in that type of relationship. It's not something he's ever experienced before.

Antagonistic

Daesung is the sort of person who is apt to let antagonistic relationships simply slide by him. He's observant about some things, but not so great with human behavior (which is the reason that I've referred to him as "anti-social" as he is not a sociopath by any stretch of the imagination). If somebody doesn't like him, it's not something he's likely to pick up on, and he will probably treat that person just the same as he does a friend. A lot of these relationships, therefore, have the potential to turn from enemies into friendships, and that's pretty cool by me. I love those sorts of relationships!

What I'd be most interested in seeing right now is an enemy to friends plot in which somebody just keeps picking on him but Daesung is too in his own world to realize what they are doing and gradually ropes them into helping him with a major project that interests the both of them and brings them into the sort of relationship that ties them together either academically, platonically, or romantically.

Outside of that, a thief who plagiarizes something that he's been working on would be an outstanding plot for me. This is one thing that would make Daesung pissed off beyond anything else I can imagine, and it might even get him to turn violent especially if the other person winds up getting credit for the work that he did. This is something that happens pretty often with people of higher-level intelligence, and it wouldn't surprise me if it happened with Daesung.

First Impressions

The first thing that people think about Daesung (at least here on American soil) is that he's smart. He's discovered that a lot of Americans think that automatically when they see an Asian face. In this case, they're correct, but it irritates him that he's been so easily stereotyped based on what people perceive Asians to be. Not all Asians are particularly intelligent, though many are subjected to rigorous education that America generally lacks.

Those who get past that impression often find that he is a quick talker and get bored with him before too long.

Stranger Impressions

If you were to read about Daesung in a magazine or a newspaper -- which is altogether possible with his engineering skills -- you'd likely think that he was much older than he is (currently sixteen). He's done more than most kids his age are capable of, is highly educated, and a hard worker -- all things that people don't expect from teenagers, let alone teenagers with his troubled past.

Friendly Impressions

Most of Daesung's friends will probably find him annoying, too hyperactive, his focus too narrow, and that it's difficult to get emotionally close to him. He doesn't let a lot of people in, and once he does he tends to be insecure and clingy with his friends, not willing to let them go and frustrated when they don't think the way that he does. He's not an easy person to be friends with.

Familiar Impressions

Two families now have abandoned Daesung and he has no siblings. First his Korean parents were no longer able to keep him, and so he was adopted by American Expats in South Korea who later moved back to the United States and then further abandoned him. Family, then, finds him unstable and unpredictable. He finds them similarly.

Rival Impressions

There aren't many real rivals for Daesung. He's not an athletic person, so he doesn't get too deep into the riding competition, and when it comes to his intellect, not many people can match it. Those who do rival him, however, likely find him to be impossible. Not impossible to beat, of course -- even the best among us can improve and have competition -- but impossible to deal with. The fact that he talks to himself while he works is annoyance alone.

Enemy Impressions

Daesung frustrates his enemies by pretending as though they are his friends. He doesn't dislike many people and if they dislike him, he finds it easy enough to ignore their feelings about him and just to 'get along' with everybody. Most of them will find it difficult to get him rattled and therefore will either give up or wind up hating him more.

Authority Impressions

Teachers probably won't know what to make of Daesung. He's hyperactive most of the time, but his focus can be so narrow when he's working on something that it's impossible to get him out of what he's working on and back and engaging with the classroom. No matter how intelligent he is, he will be difficult for them to manage.

Coworker/Partner Impressions

People who are paired with Daesung are likely to get frustrated with him easily, as he doesn't always think about the fact that he's talking over another person's head and he won't always slow down for the other person with whom he's speaking. They are likely to think that he's being a bore on purpose, which is definitely not the case with Daesung.

Lover Impressions

Like many others, lovers are apt to get irritated with Daesung when he doesn't extend the romantic gestures that they might otherwise want from him. He's too busy in his own head or working on his projects to take time out to think about doing things that most people expect out of their relationships. He can be romantic in his own way, but you have to understand who he is, first.

Self-Impressions

To put it mildly, Daesung thinks that he's not good enough to be at Brook Haven. What he sees when he looks in the mirror is somebody who is very inadequate and who doesn't deserve the opportunities that he's been given.

Post-Mortem Impressions

People will remember Daesung as a brilliant person who had to struggle to keep himself on top but who never stopped fighting for what he wanted in his life, even if it was difficult to achieve.

Mun Impressions

I like Daesung but like many people, I find him a bit annoying. He's loud, he talks a lot (and rapidly) in my head, and he has a lot of ideas that are hard to make the most out of because I don't possess quite his level of intellect (close though!).

Friends

First Last • Relationship

Bacon ipsum dolor amet brisket shoulder pork belly, prosciutto cupim jerky andouille meatball ham hock porchetta landjaeger. Cupim shank filet mignon, corned beef rump brisket salami biltong shankle drumstick chicken. Rump turducken brisket, porchetta ball tip sausage spare ribs. Strip steak corned beef short loin prosciutto chicken. Sausage pork chop tail meatloaf. Cupim spare ribs boudin andouille. Ham hock shankle capicola leberkas pancetta.

Bacon ipsum dolor amet brisket shoulder pork belly, prosciutto cupim jerky andouille meatball ham hock porchetta landjaeger. Cupim shank filet mignon, corned beef rump brisket salami biltong shankle drumstick chicken. Rump turducken brisket, porchetta ball tip sausage spare ribs. Strip steak corned beef short loin prosciutto chicken. Sausage pork chop tail meatloaf. Cupim spare ribs boudin andouille. Ham hock shankle capicola leberkas pancetta.

Enemies

Lovers

Family

Other

Habits

Bites his Nails

A lot of people bite their nails when they're nervous, but for Daesung, he bites his nails when he's concentrating on something that he's working intently on. Most of his nail are fine, but the thumb nail of his right hand is nearly always chewed down because that's the one that he bites the most often (he's left-handed, so it doesn't disrupt his ability to function). If he's chewing on his thumbnail -- and especially th cuticle -- he's busy thinking and should be left alone.

Note Taking

Daesung takes notes about everything. He scribbles them on any scrap of paper that he can get his hands on and he often has a pencil behind his ear and a small notepad in his pocket so that he can take notes on the fly. This is one of the ways that he commits information to memory, but it also helps him to keep track of the ideas that he has so that he can make the most use out of them at a later date.

Rapid Speech

You'll see below that Daesung is a hyperactive little thing. He talks almost constantly, even when he's concentrating the most, and he always seems to have something to say about everything. It's difficult to make him stop talking for very long and he will continue to talk even when somebody else has clearly tuned him out. In spite of his he can be a surprisingly good listener as well. Check out the shipper tab.

Quirks

Literal Genius

Daesung's IQ is in the vicinity of 158 (on the same scale, Einstein scored 160, for reference). He is without question a literal genius, easily able to calculate sums in his head and to get accurate results even for problems as complicated as high-value square roots. He's capable of taking apart anything and putting it back together effectively, or turning it into something else entirely. STEM subjects have always been an important part of his life and he has consistently applied himself to learning more about the things about which he is the most passionate -- like engineering, inventing, and robotics.

Childlike Demeanor

Intelligence comes with a price, and for Daesung that price is that he is incredibly childlike. Not only does he tend toward hyperactivity, but he is highly insecure and often obsessive about the things that interest him the most. It made him inconvenient for his adoptive parents and continues to make him inconvenient for many of his teachers since his curiosity can lead to a lot of questions that teachers either don't know how to answer or don't want to answer. He will not stop until he has the answers to these questions, either, and he is full of the word "why" like a typical toddler.

Intense

A lot of people don't know how to handle the fact that Daesung can go from hyperactive and excitable to intensely focused in the blink of an eye, but it happens often. His intensity is something remarkable about him that nearly everybody notices. Once he's involved in one of his projects, you will not be able to pull him out of it to get him to participate in something else. This is another thing that tends to annoy his teachers quite a bit, and Daesung doesn't understand why. After all, this combined with the above is one of the things that makes him a great student.

Hobbies

Tinkering

Daesung enjoys playing around with taking electronics apart and putting them back together again. His favorite things to play around with are old radios, which he has in the past taken apart for robot parts. Whatever he can get his hands on to take apart and put back together again will please him, and he enjoys the challenge that small electronics presents.

Toy-Making

When Daesung was a little boy, he made his own toys. This is of course a branch of tinkering, and he does enjoy finding out what he can make by taking various things apart and then putting them back together in a different order, or with different parts from different toys. He's sort of like a not-so-crazy "Sid" from Toy Story in the way that he operates.

Inventing

If he can get his hands on parts, Daesung enjoys inventing new things, and he's come up with several solutions to problems that he's wanted to solve in the past. Most of his inventions wind up being robotic in the long run, and he's done quite well for himself. His high intelligence makes working with small moving parts effective and entertaining for him, and so he looks for problems that he's capable of solving.

Interests

Robotic Engineering

When he "grows up," Daesung wants to be an engineer, and in particular he wants to work with robots. He's already deeply involved in robotics as a hobby and he wants to make this his ultimate career path, but now he's a bit worried about how he's going to get into college and where he's going to go. He'd love to go somewhere in the United States. Probably Stanford.

Languages

In spite of the fact that he will nearly always revert to either Korean or Mandarin when he's exhausted, Daesung has an interest in languages. He speaks Korean, Mandarin, English, Japanes,e and French (in the order in which he learned them, and in the order of proficiency). He tries to learn as much as he can about as many languages as he can and would love to be more proficient in the most important languages (as he sees it) in the world: English, Japanese, and Dutch.

Big Hero 6

Daesung has been collecting Big Hero 6 comic books since he was nine years old. The comic was still relatively new in those days and he still has some rare comics from the time period that he's hidden under his bed. If he can get his hands on some of the earliest issues, he will be one happy kid. It's been easy to lose comics while waiting for an adoptive placement, and he has a big enough heart to have given some of his away to younger kids.

Desired Plots

Stereotyping

Daesung is, in a lot of ways, all about stereotypes. One phenomenon that I noticed for a long time (and this happened a lot at Brook Haven's predecessor actually) was that K-Pop face claims were often played as K-Pop artists. I want to break with the stereotypes that we inflict on the characters who are different than us (whether they are a different race, gender, religion, and so on) and in so doing, Daesung is largely about breaking past the mold of "this is what it looks like to be Korean." I'm using what I do know well (adoption) with what I have researched the heck out of (culture) to build a story here.

And I want to play to the fact that many Americans do make assumptions about a person based on the color of the person's skin, or their accent, or where they come from. Many westerners label Koreans as being particularly intelligent (it's a rigid academic system rather than genetic intelligence), or look at people from other cultures as being about one narrow-minded issue.

So I want somebody to stereotype Daesung. I want somebody to see him as being "Korean" instead of as being a whole person. I want somebody to label him, to put him in a box, and then to walk away from that box as though the label is the only thing which applies.

He won't notice this at first, but when he does, all hell is going to break loose. It would be awesome if the person doing this wasn't the standard bully, either, but somebody who is otherwise well-meaning and doesn't realize that they are doing a lot of harm to a culture on the ranch -- because Davey won't be the last South Korean around here.

Helping Hand

Perhaps the most important role of engineers is to solve problems. It's what science does as Daesgung is fond of saying. He's developed incredible skill at taking things apart and putting it back together to create something different and he's not (quite) above stealing. I'd be very interested in a plot in which someone has a need that only Daesung can meet for them. If he has to steal the materials to make whatever is needed, that's even better.

This type of plot would work best if somebody needs something robotic. Daesung can be something of a prankster, so he'd love to get involved in something where he has to put together a robot that will assist with some sort of a prank.

Or, even better, if he's able to build something that makes somebody else's life easier. if this means building a better alarm for the group leaders to stop them from losing teenagers to leaving their cabins at night, then that's one route. If it means developing a tool that will help students to sneak out of bed when they're supposed to be sleeping, he'll also do that.

There's a lot of potential with this one!

Knowing Him

Daesung is a tough person to get to know because he's so focused on his projects and he's so insecure. It's tough to see who he is beyond that, but what he needs the most is for somebody who actually knows him.

This isn't a relationship plot. Just hear me out.

What I'm looking for here is somebody who has learned enough about Daesung over a span of time to know him well enough to do something for him or with him based on a specific need that is solely his. It's a person making sure that on his birthday in October he gets a subscription to a robotics magazine (though this doesn't take much) or a family that wants to adopt him, or somebody knowing the right thing to say when he's about to self-destruct for the third time in a week (because he will if he doesn't get the help that he needs).

I want plots where people use their knowledge of Daesung to do something that benefits him. This will certainly lead to a relationship, but the purpose of it is for Daesung to reap the benefits of somebody actually getting to know a touch of who he is.

About Otter

Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Time Zone: GMT-5
Native Language: English

Preferred Word Count: 500+
Likely Triggers: positive adoption language, abortion, miscarriage, needles, graphic, bloody violence. if you tag these, i should be okay!

Your Other Characters: rachel vanderbilt, logan brook, isabella curry, rebekah brook, grace somers, nathan curry, william jenkins, katelyn yu, eleanor noble, montana sheridan, nadia grisham, anne howard, cleo turley, thomas montgomery, esmeralda correa, symphony lyonette, liam holmes, Westley Holmes
nicole holmes
social worker • 21 YRS
INFP
Occupation
social worker
Nickname
Nic
Pronouns
she/her
Sexual Orientation
heterosexual
Status
married
Partner
liam holmes
Riding Style
Western
Nicole was born on the Ranch. Daughter of Amber and Logan, she knows exactly what the purpose of Brook Haven is, and she believes in it with all of her heart. After all, it's why she never went far, and even got her degree in Social Work, much like her father.

For years, Nic has been trying to get a position on the ranch, working with the students, but it wasn't until the January after she graduated college that she was able to obtain employment on BHR, working with the students. This has caused some tension between her and her father, as she feels that he doesn't believe in her, or her ability to help the kids on the ranch.

On top of all of this, shortly after obtaining a position on the ranch, Nicole got married in a private ceremony (she eloped) at the county courthouse and married Liam Holmes, a neighboring ranch owner, without informing any of her family.

Tensions are high for Nicole right now, and when you factor in the fact that her father's biological parents are in town (thanks to her), that her little sister has recently discovered that she's adopted, and that she thinks she might be pregnant -- there really is a lot going on.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Loretta
is
Country Legend

Breed
thoroughbred
Disciplines
barrel racing
Application
is Offline

Pronouns
she/her
Timezone
GMT-5
Contact
pm me!
28 Posts
1165 Points
Wrangler
leader

Nick & Davey
As usual, we were talking about this earlier, but I felt like it was worth mentioning so that we have it on the site.

Nick is going to want Daesung to be able to reach his potential, and she's going to look into some college courses for him to take, using his free time that he'll have since he's not going to be taking as many courses in the next year as he is through the end of this one. Of course, she'll want to talk to him about that, which could be interesting.

Let me know if you'd be interested in that that. If not, I'm sure we can come up with something else, since Nick is going to be his leader. <3

Hit me back!

emily schuster
English III Teacher • 27 YRS
ESFJ
Occupation
English III Teacher
Nickname
Emily
Pronouns
She/her/hers
Sexual Orientation
Homosexual
Status
Single
Partner
Riding Style
Western
Raggedy Anne
is
Raggedy Anne

Breed
American Warmblood
Disciplines
Reining
Application
Ben
is Offline

Pronouns
He/him/his
Timezone
GMT-5
Contact
PM
64 Posts
370 Points
Brook Haven
Teacher
Daesung & Emily
First of all, these are some great ideas, so thanks for putting the work into coming up with them. Emily is getting used to expecting students who are struggling and not that invested, so she's be excited and flattered at a student seeking her out with an interest in learning more...and would have some real trouble recognizing and handling that while he may know less than she does about her speciality, he's also smarter than she is.
Hit me back!
<>
<>
kalea momoa
• YRS
Occupation
Nickname
Pronouns
Sexual Orientation
Status
Partner
Riding Style
is

Breed
Disciplines
Application
is

Timezone
Contact
0 Posts
Kalea & DaesungFor Daesung, I think Kal would feel protective towards him. I think she would want to be that voice of reason he has when it comes to making a good choice versus a bad choice that could get him into trouble. That said, that doesn't mean Kalea is some goody two shoes either. she's a teen and she struggles sometimes too but she is the type of person that doesn't like to see people get in serious trouble. I definitely could see her going "Hey you should do this because of xyz versus this because this could happen". I don't think she would be intimidated by his intelligence, if anything she would be cool about it and she wouldn't let anyone say anything bad about how smart he is. He needs to be told to own his intelligence and not feel bad about it. But yeah, don't have a specific plot just yet, but felt like this could be one of the basis for a friendship between them.Hit me back!

evan miller
Student • 17 YRS
ISTP-T
Occupation
Student
Nickname
Evan
Pronouns
He/him
Sexual Orientation
Heterosexual
Status
Single
Partner
N/A
Riding Style
English
Toothless
is
Fury of the Night

Breed
Irish Draught Horse
Disciplines
Dressage, Cross-Country
Application
is Offline

Pronouns
She/her
Timezone
EST
Contact
pm or discord
21 Posts
185 Points
Wrangler
mustang
Daesung & Evan
I don’t think Evan has any outright reason to dislike Daesung, and because their interests are completely different than one another, I doubt Evan wants to spend time with him. I know we talked about Evan looking for ways to skip school and Daesung helping him with that, but honestly, Evan doesn’t even think to bring up that it’s a problem. So let’s throw them together during the Wrangler camping trip for a team-building exercise and have them fail right off the bat! We’ll go off the assumption that they haven’t really talked, even though they live in the same cabin because Evan is an abrasive cactus. Evan got pissed at him yesterday for wandering off to look at a pinecone and so today the leaders have decided to throw them into a canoe together. Daesung may be an excellent communicator, but Evan doesn’t do well with being given multi-step commands, and if they’ve got Evan in the rear I think he’ll screw up bad enough to lose his paddle. I think that is a good place to start a thread – working together to try and retrieve a paddle that has fallen overboard in a stationary lake. Depending on how this interaction goes we can reassess how they feel about one another. Yay, nay, Squirt you’re making no sense?
Hit me back!
tara thompson
psychologist • 38 YRS
ENFP
Occupation
psychologist
Nickname
Tara
Pronouns
she/her
Sexual Orientation
heterosexual
Status
married
Partner
Keith Thompson
Riding Style
Western
Tara has been on the ranch since the moment she was born. She's known Brook Haven well before it was ever a safe haven for abused horses and kids that needed guidance. There isn't a piece of this land that she doesn't know or hasn't walked. She spent her life in this place, and she couldn't imagine it any differently.

When her father turned the ranch into what it is, and then when Logan took over it, she smiled and continued on. She never expected her dad to give her the ranch, not only was Logan older than her, but he was a living example of how the program worked.

More than anything, Tara wants to see Brook Haven thrive, and she knows that it can, but she doesn't want to have to play mediator to get it to. She wishes her brothers would get their shit together and figure it all out, because she's tired of translating. Even if she does understand what's going on, it doesn't make it any easier on her energy levels.

On top of everything else with the ranch, a new addition has joined them and this addition is one of Tara's biggest secrets. Grace Somers, her biological daughter who she allowed to be adopted by the girl's biological father and his wife. The fact that she's there, at all, has her concerned, but she doesn't even know how to bring it up with anyone.

And, if for any reason, she thought she could somehow continue to keep this secret, the only man who could blow the lid on the whole thing has shown up at the ranch looking to sponsor. She doesn't want Ethan Somers anywhere near the ranch, or her. So, not only does she have to figure out how to explain to her family (and her husband!) that she had a child, but that while she was pregnant with that child she had a relationship with the child's uncle and that he had been abusive of her -- and now he's at the ranch.

Sonny
is
Days of Light

Breed
Rocky Mountain Horse
Disciplines
western pleasure
Application
is Offline

Pronouns
she/her
Timezone
gmt--5
Contact
pm me!
32 Posts
260 Points
Brook Haven
owner
Tara & Daesung
As you know, Tara is likely to get attached to children. This happens, despite what her husband and brothers say about getting attached. She can't help it, it's part of who she is, and she's happy to say that she's managed to pass that down to her niece and daughter as well. Anyways, with that said, she's just waiting for the day that Daesung earns his privileges so she can hand him his first subscription box to GoBox, which is a robotics subscription box. She likes to do this for all of the students, especially the foster kids, because she thinks it's important that they know that there's someone out there thinking about them.

Let me know what you think.

Hit me back!

nolan hess
student • 15 YRS
ENTJ
Occupation
student
Nickname
Nolan
Pronouns
He/him/his
Sexual Orientation
heterosexual
Status
single
Partner
Riding Style
Western
Nolan's been in foster care since he was two. He excelled at academics, and spent most of his childhood keeping apart from the other foster kids, believing that his intelligence made him special. When he hit his teens, that began falling apart as the competition to be the best student around intensified. His escalating emotions led him to brandish a knife at a foster parent, which got him sent to a group home. Teachers who worried about his performance recommended him to Brook haven.
Painter
is
Rembrandt

Breed
Welsh Cob
Disciplines
Cutting
Application
Ben
is Offline

Pronouns
He/him/his
Timezone
GMT-5
Contact
PM
27 Posts
230 Points
Ridgerunner
Mustang
Daesung & Nolan
Daesung is one of the people I was thinking of when I was writing Nolan. The thing that's holding me up is that Daesung is the sort of person Nolan gets competitive with, and he's even smarter than Nolan and Nolan can't even try to blame that on Daesung having better opportunities than Nolan's had, because he hasn't. I don't think that should stop them from being friends - I don't think they're in the same classes, which limits how much head to head competition there will be, and I think Nolan's social enough to work through Daesung's awkwardness, though I can't promise that until I've seen him in play a bit. But it means there may be some ups and downs around Nolan's self-esteem. So, that said, I love your thread idea, and it sounds like a great way to get the two of them together.
Hit me back!
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Affiliates
Resources & Directories
RPG-D
Sister Sites
Static
Scrolling
Skin coded by Devin exclusively for Brook Haven Ranch.